Games Consoles: dont have a clue!

Discussion in 'Gamers Hangout' started by Sparky, Dec 18, 2006.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

What’s going on? The last time I looked the Amiga was the best computer to have and the SNES and Mega drive were fighting it out in the console market. 8)

Was sent into HMV to buy a game for a Game boy and was totally confused! :blink

My nephew has a Game boy micro so I bought a game that has Game Boy ‘advance’ on the box, is this correct? When I got the game home it says on the back that it is not compatible with a Game boy (I assume this is the original Game Boy) and Game Boy colour.

Anyways is this going to work or am I going to be hated by the whole family for buying the wrong present? :oops:

Where is that copy of Computer and Video Games anyways........

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sparky mate - you're showing your age! :D

TBH im not 100% sure either but i think you could be right about the incompatiablity...

3. Sparky

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game_Boy_Micro

Dont make it easy though! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
  4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Sparky,

You're stuck in the same time as me!
    I have had a lonnnnnnnnnnnng break from the games machines, and the last time I bought a game was for the SNES.

The Amiga brings back real cool memories. Did you used to CTRL + ALT + Delete to the *earlier* OS to run certain games due to compatibility?

The Gamecube is a favourite at the moment, and I am looking forward to the Wii.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

...some things haven't changed. :p

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. Sparky

I had an Amiga 500, was the ctrl+alt+delete cheat for the Amigia 500+? I remember some compatibility problems ‘back in the day’ I do have an Amiga 1200 back home but I will keep that for a good few years and then fire it on eBay for £5,000. Shortly after that I will then win the lottery.... :biggrin

I still keep in touch with gaming on the PC but I don’t play the latest games as a I have a mortgage to pay, some of the graphics cards these days cost more than a standard desktop PC! :ohmy

7. Nelix
    Honorary Member

Nelix Gigabyte Poster

Ahhh, the Amiga, what a machine,

did anyone have an Action Replay cartridge, were'nt they great??

I used to work in a local computer shop and we used to make a fortune repairing Amiga's as they suffered quite badly from Chip creep especially as all the kids used to keep taking them to there friends houses.

Xenon
    Xenon II
    Deluxe Paint
    Alien Breed

to name but a few

Certifications: A+, 70-210, 70-290, 70-291, 74-409, 70-410, 70-411, 70-337, 70-347
    WIP: 70-346
  8. BosonMichael

I had my Fat Angus chip replaced with a Fatter Angus. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  9. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Yes, the 500.
    I seem to remember it was to boot in to an earlier Operating System. If memory serves me correct, it was a blueish background with a hand holding a floppy disk.

What a stable machine- I remember *Another world*, what an amazing game that was........

Merry Christmas

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  10. Kitkatninja

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Dudes,

You guy's are only around the 27 mark, around my age. You can't tell me that you haven't kept up with the video game industry?

Maybe, certforums should create a "console" part to this forum to keep so of us old-timers up to date :lol:

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

Well I dont like consoles full stop...I mean I did and have played on them...but a PC will always be my console for games...but Sparky I dont blame u mate for being confused...even I probably wouldnt know either...:D

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

Ah the Amiga, how I miss thee. What couldn't you do with that bad boy? We had a souped up A1200 in my College's TV studio that we used for titling videos and special effects. I even did my Art & Design GCSE exam piece as a 3D rendered scene using Lightwave on that baby. Me and all my mates had Amigas at home too. The hours I lost playing Elite 2. Happy days.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  13. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

I'm with noel on this
    the last 'console' i used was a Megadrive or a Snes, and even those were not mine
    since getting into PCs ive always had a gaming platform far superior and adjustable than any console platform and that has stayed the same

i fully believe that consoles such as the PS3 and Xbox360 have begun to remove whats important about the console arena, they are dumping playability in the name of graphics, but the graphics engines of such consoles are far inferior to modern pc technology!

Nintento are the only ones who seem to of kept the line simple, fun, and enjoyable for all, and for the first time ever i've actually considered buying a console, a Wii, simply because i think it would be totally class to stand around throwing controllers in the air with my mates while we play one of these funny sword fighting games lol! thats what a consoles about, a good laugh!

anyway, thats my thought on consoles
    as for the VARIOUS different flavours of gameboy, wouldnt know, i only ever played on an original gameboy :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  14. Baba O'Riley

Baba O'Riley Gigabyte Poster

I agree with you Phoenix. Although I've owned at least one of each generation of console since the Atari 2600 I've always gone back to "proper" computer games - first on the Amiga then the PC. I'll definitely get a Wii though, even if I don't get one for Christmas.:D

Certifications: A+, Network+
    WIP: 70-270
  15. BosonMichael

I'm with ya, mate. Last console I had was the Atari 2600, when I was 8 or so.

16. BosonMichael

I lost days of my life (some of them consecutive) playing Battlemech on the Amiga.

17. BosonMichael

In addition, the PC has the best input device combo, by far... keyboard and mouse. Put me up against a joypad-wielding console phreak playing any shooter, and they'll realize how quickly my ten fingers can beat their two thumbs. ;)

18. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

I've never really bothered with games on the PC - If I ever want to play games its always been on a console (well, since the days of my Atari ST anyway!)

I've had a SNES, Megadrive and have a PS2 - but to be honest, I know its a bit lame, but the PlayStation (and, more specifically, Tomb Raider, Resident Evil and Silent Hill) were the golden age of gaming for me.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  19. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I think it was called workbench. Great machine the amiga, i never got a 500, but i had the 600 and 1200 at some point.

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  20. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

I didnt even know there was a gameboy micro out. Ive got the SP in the retro SNES style, and an EZ cartridge. Havent played it for ages, think i might have to hunt it out :)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house