game loading problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Arroryn, Aug 10, 2005.

1. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

hellosy!!

Righty ho.

I've recently upgraded a system - it went from a 64mb graphics, PC100 128mb RAM 1ghz AMD to a 128mb Geforce MX440-SE, 512mb PC133 (2 x 256mb), same processor.

Everything is fine and dandy until I run a game - any game, CD based or not. It locks up as soon as it's loaded - on the menu screen. Any ideas at what I've ballsed up?

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  2. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Try finding the latest drivers for the video card.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  3. ffreeloader

OH, and one more thing. It appears as if you had an onboard graphics card before. Is that correct? If so disable it in your profile so Windows won't load it.

4. Arroryn

It wasn't onboard, no - but I did a fresh install of XP so I will check that out. Drivers were from CD, and I did a Windows Update not long after install, and once again recently.

Cheers!!

5. Phoenix
    Honorary Member

Phoenix 53656e696f7220 4d6f64

yeah sounds like i could be a driver issue
    it AGP or PCI?
    check the BIOS AGP settings are a-ok

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, VCP
    WIP: > 0
  6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You might want to double check the manufacturer's site to see if a more recent driver is available for the card.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  7. ffreeloader

Yeah, this is what I meant. My post was just about as clear as mud was all.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

No. You were fine. However, you probably normally check the manufacturer's site when looking for driver updates while many people rely on Windows Update to do the job.

I have no idea if there is a delay between a device driver being released by a vendor and when (or if) it is picked up by Microsoft and added to Windows Update. I assume there is a delay and therefore, it would be easy to not be current if you rely on Microsoft.

9. ffreeloader

A lot of manufacturers don't even work with Microsoft on making their drivers available through Windows Update, so I never rely on that, but I should have said explicitly to go to the manufacturer's site. That's what I was referring to when I said my post was as clear as mud.

10. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I believe the video drivers loaded by windows are watered down versions, which often don't support the 3d graphics capabilities of the cards, stuff like Open GL etc. I am no gamer but from what I have read and deduced, it is necessary to go to the manufacturers site and download the real driver for the OS, if gaming is your thing. The same can be said for sound cards as well as motherboard drivers.

Pete

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  11. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

The votes have been counted, Arroryn. Off to the manufacturer's site with you. :D

12. Arroryn

[sulk] Fine, fine, I'm going [/sulk]

13. Arroryn

Hellosy!!

I've updated the drivers with the latest from the nVidia site, and now the games are loading up all lovely-like.

But the images aren't rendering properly in the games. I've never seen this one before - heeelp? The most the games seem to need are 16/64mb. I'm going to play in the BIOS awaiting some help :)

14. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

I've had problems with graphics drivers before. Sometimes it helps if you clean out all traces of the old drivers first. I've used Nasty File Reomover and Detonator Destroyer to get rid of old stuff before putting a new driver on.
    Don't forget though, newest is not always best. Stable is what you're looking for, and there are loads of forums out there that seem to debate nothing other than which driver works out best for each card.
    I've tried everything I can think of to fix mine, but I seem to get a BSOD when gaming (only some games mind) with a different error code each time so it's hard to nail down.
    I do sympathize with your quest.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  15. ffreeloader

Is this all games, some games, or what? And what do you mean by "not rendering properly"? Oh, and if it's not all games, what games aren't rendering properly? Do games such as pinball that MS includes with the OS work correctly?

16. Arroryn

All games like that, and low level games - keep in mind kids use this PC - Little Mermaid fun things, some low level 'pinball' game.

Games like Simpsons Hit and Run and Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets load up, and are fine on introductions, sound, etc. When the game itself starts, scenery is missing, main characters don't appear, things like that.

http://img21.exs.cx/img21/1841/fghgdghgfh.jpg

This link is a screenshot example - the game loads and works fine, but the images aren't fully loaded. Like playing the horribly slow Morrowind engine. But worse.

17. ffreeloader

I just did a little research on this card, and it seems that it doesn't support DirectX 9 for sure and possibly not even DirectX 8. That could very possibly account for your display problems.

18. Arroryn

thanks for that - I'll look into it further. Was it one brand, or the card in general? Most of the games that aren't running do require DirectX 8.0 or higher.

19. ffreeloader

I ran a Google search for "128mb Geforce MX440-SE" and what I told you is what I came up with. I would imagine that's all the cards that use that engine, but I'm not positive. It just sounded like it would lead to exactly the problems you're having.