Game Designer...What to do

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by kalisclark, Jul 2, 2009.

1. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

You are right actually, it originated from a South Park episode, "Underpants Gnomes". :oops:
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gnomes_(South_Park)

[​IMG]

But I had fun seeing this all over WoW forums. :p

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  2. LordMoolyBap

LordMoolyBap Nibble Poster

If you want to try it out why not have a play with something like one of the following:

http://darkbasicpro.thegamecreators.com/ Dark Basic Professional is basically just BASIC scripting on top of a 3d engine. You can use their models or create your own 3ds ones if you like / can. I played around for this for a good while and got some good results from it a few years back. I'm not saying that will get you into the industry as Im a business programmer so have never tried to get into that side of tings. But it is a good start to learn.

They also do an add in to .NET and you can download visual C++ Express and the dark basic add in from here
    Visual C++ Express
    dark GDK

Another thing you could do (which I haven't done yet but keep saying I will look at it) is look at Microsofts XNA game creator. You can write Windows games and if you pay to join the creators club can write games for the Xbox as well. You can read more and download from here there is some great talent on here!

For the designing side you might want to look at something like 3ds Max / Maya or something? You can probably get trail versions of them inside teach yourself books from amazon although I don't know much about it.

In the case of XNA and dark basic there are millions of tutorials out there on the web. Its just about really selling your soul to learning and practicing.

A couple of my friends are games programmers and they say they both love it and absoloutely hate it. Not sure what sort of advice that is though!

Certifications: HND (Comp) MBCS
    WIP: Msc Intelligent Systems
  3. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Nope... never played WoW. That meme been going around Anandtech for forever-ever.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  4. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

They most likely love it when everything works and the game goes gold, but hate crunch. :)

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  5. mallet

mallet Kilobyte Poster

ah, I am in the process looking to start with XNA. But just trying to build up on my C# for now. Theres a page I am looking at just to start myself on the game programming side of things:
    http://www.fiercedeveloper.com/story/xbox-make-your-own-games-xna-10-steps-diy

hope that helps and best of luck anyone programming.

-Mallet

Certifications: MCP
  6. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

This essentially looks like a TP, they use the same salespeople and format as skillstrain, which is worrying.

The course does look good, and there is some helpful links and answers to what does a designer do etc on their forums.

However the cost is £5k, they send a salesperson to your house and make you sign a credit agreement.

I think a Computer Science Foundation Degree sounds like a safer bet for people interested in the developer track.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster