Future after a Degree?

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Mecha, Sep 11, 2008.

1. Mecha

Mecha Bit Poster

Hi guys

I haven't posted here much after I joined due to finishing uni and life's common problems, and unfortunately it has clouded my future judgment!

My original plan after university was to complete my A+ and N+, but due to financial constraints and under estimating the difficulties of my final year in uni, I have not taken my 602 or re-started studying for my N+. Since my degree was in computer networking, (question 1) I always pondered whether it was worthwhile doing my N+ so soon?

So recently I got the money to take the 602 exam, but I had been applying for tonnes of jobs, but none unfortunately have said anything about the CompTIA certs nor when I got calls from employers, have thy talked about the A+. (question 2) It lead me to think whether scrapping the 602 to start the MCDST exams would be worth while? I know I should probably just finish the A+ cert, but it seems like its not having the impact on my CV as I thought

Last not least, my ECDL. I haven't done it, but a lot of borough councils I have been applying for jobs with have asked about this in their pre-requisites, (question 3), but is it worth it..and is it expensive? As I have been trying to find out info on the cost of it to no avail.

Thanks for reading :blink:)

Certifications: BSc Networking, A+ (601)
    WIP: MSc InfoSec, S+, CISMP, IA ISO27001
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

When I did this it was about £30 per exam, and there are 7 exams in the set! You also need to buy the 'logbook' which was about £25.

Whether it is 'worth it' only you can say. I took it out of interest, not because I needed it. I funded it over several months so the cash-flow 'hit' wasn't so bad!

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

First use your degree to land a job, then worry about certs.

The ECDL is designed largely for admin staff / secretaries, anyone with a degree of any note should already be above ECDL level, simply completing your final thesis usually requires these skills. Employers should realise this, if they don't try to convince them.

Again your degree should have covered nearly all of the N+, you should be able to cram and pass in a very short period. Maybe take this while going for jobs.

Then maybe continue and study the A+ part time until you get that job or continue to study it when you land a job.