Futher Advise

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by Para, Sep 26, 2005.

1. Para

Para Bit Poster

Hi, i recently signed up to this forum, and i must say that theres a nice bunch of people here who make new members feel welcome.

im currently at a crossroads in my life like many others and want to nail down some cert's to take my excisting IT knowledge futher.

some of you suggested in my intro thread that i should pursue an A+ before moving on to any other certs, i would like to find out more about this cert and other aswell, from what i understand A+ is learning the inner workings of computers etc.

what im gonna do is list some of my current expereince and hope that some of you may help me discover what path could be right for me.

-- Currently i run around 6 websites all designed and maintained by myself, some are business related (and earn), and i hope in the future my web businesses generating a nice income.

-- My html knowledge is good im not a genuis but i can certainly make a fully functional website with no problem.

-- i have intermediate knowledge of flash, php , Mysql, and im aiming to be php fluent asap (as many of my current websites rely on new php ideas)

-- i have minor server side experience as i run a small internet radio station and have to use SSH Telnet now and again, but that about as far that goes lol

-- i have good experience with fixing computers both software and hardware, years of trouble shooting my PII got me that knowledge. :biggrin

so, this leaves me niether here or there really, i no i want a career in IT somewhere, but making it a reality is another story, as im unsure of what field would suit me best, ive have worked self employed since i left collage and im now 27, so obviasly i have a passion for running my own business and being my own boss, however in this life it takes more than one thing to keep things floating, so i would like the cert's not only to futher my knowledge (as i absolutly just love learning) but to make my knowledge 'Official' shall we say, so i can get a job and be compitant within my role.

Thanks for any advise and input, you dont understand how happy i am to have found this forum with like minded individuals to express to, i am proberbly the only person i no in real life that actually is so deep into computers, so i dont get to talk about stuff much, sorry if im waffling on :oops:

once again thanks, and i hope ill be able to pass on knowledge on here one day ;)

WIP: A+ N+ MCSE
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Para,

There are many people who are in your position including myself :D
    The difference is you have more experience!

As you have been dealing with both hardware and many software packages I would sit down and have a think what really interests you and if you would like to do it on a full time basis.

You mention you look after six websites and an internet radio station. Do you like building and maintaining websites/e-commerce? If so, have a look at the CIW cert.

I would follow your feelings. It sounds like you desire to work for yourself. With Web design this is the type of thing you could work from home and make lots of money too!
    Someone said to me a while ago that programming is the thing to do. In all honesty, i don't think i could sit at a screen all day reading and correcting code!
    Have a think and let us know. :)

oh, and "waffle on" as much as you like! :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. Para

Para Bit Poster

do you no what boyce i think your right mate, my passion lies being creative and e-commerce, thats where my strenghs are i think, athough id love to be able to be a compitant programmer also but doing programming only maybe isnt my bag.

I will look into the CIW cert bruv thanks for the advise, also what programming certs are there?

cheers

4. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

No probs. It seems there are lots of languages and technologies but not all carry certs.
    I would say HTML, CSS, SQL, Flash, Java script, etc. etc. It seems some people learn things like Visual Studio.
    You might want to take a look at MCAD

Best of luck, let us know what you decide.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  5. Sandy

Sandy Ex-Member

6. Para

Para Bit Poster

thanks for everyones input

WOW, its been a long day of reading and research, im actually stuck on what CIW is good for me, considering my strengths
    out of these http://www.ciwcertified.com/certifications/program.asp?comm=CND&llm=4
    what do you think would be my best bet? im sorry to be a pain but im just overwelmed with info at the moment. also bear in mind i want to study myself.

thanks for your help guys

7. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

One of my brother-in-laws was a VP at Intel for many years. He came out of retirement temporarily to become the CEO of Tripwire (no relation to my handle) and at least in a material sense, is one of the most successful people I know. His general career advice is similar to what you said, Para. Find your passion and then find how you can use it to earn a living. You seem to already know what you want to do. Pursue it.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  8. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

I'd say that the route on the left would be your best bet given what you have already said you have done and do.

I'm sure that JonnyMX will be around soon to offer some advice, he's the CIW Expert around here.

8)