FrontPage 2003

Discussion in 'Software' started by The_Geek, Feb 5, 2006.

1. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Can anyone recommend a good "how to" or "tips and tricks" book for FrontPage 2003?

I have the general jist of how to create a site, add images, email links, opening in new window, etc., but I'm looking for something to tell me what all the bells and whistles are and what they do.

Now before anyone starts the "get rid of FP, it sucks, use brand X instead" argument, FP2K3 came with my Action Pack, and for what I'm going to use it for, I can't justify the expense of buying something else.

Certifications: CompTIA and Micro$oft
    WIP: PDI+
  2. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Sorry - but I'm still going to say 'dump it'. ISPs hate FP with a passion, for good reason.

There are plenty of other things out there, many of them for free, so IMHO avoid FP!

Harry (runs to avoid incoming....)

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  3. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well, a friend suggested this site, and I have to say you can't beat the price.

4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

OK. Here's incoming, Harry....

TG, what are you thinking of? You're a Firefox user!! You want to make a site that can only be seen correctly in IE???? Shame on you TG....

***shakes head sadly at such perfidy*** :twisted:

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Guys, it's a valid question that the OP placed here to find an answer. If it isn't your cup of tea, don't drink it, but don't spit it out over the furniture please.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  6. hbroomhall

Jak - I understand where you are coming from, but my comment was based on the OPs statement that he couldn't afford to use anything else. The way he worded it seemed to suggest that he was aware that FP wan't viewed very favourably in some quarters.

I hoped to be able to show that there *were* alternatives, and that many of them were free.

But I appologise to TG if he feels that I was unhelpful.

Harry.

7. ffreeloader

LOL.... I've known TG for quite a while. I would hope he sees more of my humor in my post than you did. :D :) :biggrin :dry :rolleyes: :p :twisted:

8. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

Well......I DO have IE 7 installed. :D

Thanks Jak.

9. The_Geek

The_Geek Megabyte Poster

No worries hbroomhall.

I know every web designer that I've talked to HATES FP with a passion, but cannot tell me WHY they hate it. To illustrate:

Why? What is it that FP does (or does not do) that everyone hates so much?

And it's not the fact I can't afford anything else. But for what I want to do, basically create a simple "here we are, we have a website" site, I can't see spending $$$ for software that everyone else likes. Nothing fancy, no java or flash.

10. hbroomhall

OK - I'm not an expert but I'll have a go at this.

There are two problems with FP I'm told.
    1) It produces unclear and convoluted HTML which is a bugger to fix when things need changing manualy.
    2) Front Page Extensions (FPE). The latter is mostly what people hate. These are non-standard extras which often only IE knows about, and which many HTTP servers can't handle.

ISPs hate it because of the server problem. In many cases if you set up a server to allow FPE then it is impossible, or nearly, to allow FTP uploads, which means that *only* FP will talk to it. This is unacceptable to an ISP. Our FPE enabled servers need constant attention because of this problem, whereas the non-FPE ones just work and don't need much attention.

There is a problem that FP 'knows' too well the various display bugs in IE, so often Firefox et al don't display such pages very well.

Many web-designers of my aquaintance don't use fancy packages to do their work, but usualy just a text editor with syntax highlighting. This way they can get clean (and valid) HTML code and have proper control.

Have a look at a site belonging to a friend of mine. This was done with a text editor with syntax highlighting, plus some Javascript add-ons for the menus. I personaly prefer this style of presentation to many expensively produced 'corporate' sites done with Dreamweaver and the like. My friend has Dreamweaver - but in the end decided that it was too complex, and didn't produce what he wanted. See 'about' at his site for the editor he used.

I am in charge of some internal billing related web-pages at work. I use an ordinary text editor to produce them, but then I'm after information, not fancy style. But these pages work with almost every browser in existance!

Harry.

11. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This link gives some insight into what irritates people, but the writer is referring to FP2000, I am not sure whether newer versions are better or worse...

http://www.ex-astris-scientia.org/misc/frontpage.htm

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  12. ffreeloader

Well, I guess my style of humor just doesn't go over well. It must be a regional thing. With the guys I grew up with, and still run around with, we give each other a very bad time, but everyone realizes that it's not meant seriously. One of my buddies almost killed me once with a practical joke. Came very close to electrocuting me. But, I got even. I embarrased him so badly in front of his girl friend he never forgot it. We ran around together until he died of a brain tumor about 15 years ago and remained the best of friends. Our humor never became any gentler during all those years.

In one of the colleges out here--a private college at that--the students hooked up a Model T coil to the metal drain in the urinal in the bathroon designated for faculty men. Now, a Model T coil, for those of you who don't know what one is, will produce enough voltage to knock you clear across a room if fully charged. This was accepted as a harmless prank and some of the men who got zapped waited around to watch their friends get zapped. That happened about 30 years ago, but it demonstrates how rough the humor can get out west, and still be accepted as humor.

I guess it's a left-over from how rough the old west cowboys sense of humor was and people in other parts of the country, or world, just don't understand the culture. So, sorry TG, there was no offense intended. I'd seen you sort of jokingly apologize for using, and liking, IE 7 on another forum so I thought I'd give you some grief over wanting to build a site that only IE will display correctly. I guess you've just never been out west enough to get the style of humor that so many of us have out here.