Friend needs some advice

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by supernova, Apr 30, 2008.

1. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

I have a friend who suffers from social anxiety disorder. She is thinking of doing a A+ to get in IT.

Because see hasn't worked for a while, she is worried about teams, team work and the office environment etc and would like to gradually break in and get used to new environments.

I was wondering if there are any type of suitable jobs she could look for that would build up her confidence and give her experiance for a later career in IT, by then she should have completed her A+.

I don't know about you i find IT jobs very team orientated.

think she would probably have to start off part-time.

Cheers

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  2. ManicD

ManicD Byte Poster

1st line support involves a fair bit of single work, its mainly a case of if you cant answer the question alone you just refer it on.

they will need to be able to answer phoens and speak clearly and precisly, have reasonable knowledge of computers and troubleshooting. nomally there are other people milling around but being the low of low you dont get hasseled much

Certifications: MCSA, N+, A+(Tech), ECDL
    WIP: 70-294, 70-298
  3. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

I don't know much about 'social anxiety disorder' but I guess it depends on how big of an issue the disorder is.
    I agree that 1st line is a lot of independant work, but the person will most likely sit in an office with other team members, talking on the phone with customers, and interacting with teammates and other members in the company.

4. Fergal1982

Fergal1982 Petabyte Poster

Not to mention as 1st line, they will likely be dealing with extremely irate customers a lot. People shouting at her and blaming her for their problems (despite the fact that its actually nothing to do with them personally).

Certifications: ITIL Foundation; MCTS: Visual Studio Team Foundation Server 2010, Administration
    WIP: None at present
  5. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

Its basically worrying (more like a fear) that your less superior to others,worrying that you will be talked down to all the time and finding it difficult to mix with people.

but she'll do something like a night on the town with myself for example,
    worry before hand about other people, watching her etc But after will
    enjoy it and wonder why she was so worried in the first place.

basically she needs a step by step approach to getting back into work, after a while she will be fine.
    Its just getting her to do stuff first, without running.

Andi

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  6. samsdad

samsdad Bit Poster

I had a job about a year ago the title was "Community Learning Champion" and my brief was to try to break down the barriers that people who have for example been on Incapacity benefit may face in getting back to work. The main barrier is confidence and my job was to help them find ways of getting back to work slowly often starting off with doing part time courses in local communtiy centres etc. It could be anything from basic IT courses to making greeting cards but once they have been in the classroom they more or less get a bug to be learning and soon have the confidence back that they need to progress to work. Its all about taking time imho and not rusjhing headlong into something that may not be right for them. Try your local council website or pop alonng to you local college or community centre.

good luck.

WIP: A+ and Househusband.