Fresher to this forum

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by terry wagon, Jul 5, 2005.

1. terry wagon

terry wagon New Member

Hello people
    Its been a while since I was thinking of doing CCNA. I found this forum couple of days ago and have been reading some of the threads. Now that i have decided to do CCNA i decided its time to participate.

My background to IT is that i have done a degree in computing and at the moment i'm half way through my Masters in computer science.

I have been applying for jobs for about a year now and i have found absolutely nothing apart from couple of phone interviews. I don't have any experience at all but i have a good grasp in Networking and programming.

The question that I wanted to ask you guys is that once i have completed my masters together with a CCNA with some work experience at a local school. How much time(or years of experience) would it take me to become a system administrator? oh and i'm 23 years old.

Certifications: BSc Computing, MSc Computer Science
    WIP: CCNA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings Terry. Welcome to CertForums. Glad you could make it. :)

Gee...how long until you become a sys admin? Hmmm. Let me look into my crystal ball and see...ah ha. :biggrin

Just kidding.

I'm not sure your question can be answered in an absolute sense. Obviously the more education and the more experience you have, the greater your probability of achieving your desired goal but it could be awhile. You are going to have to pay your dues first. Even with a Masters and a CCNA, it is unlikely that someone will put their routers into your hands for awhile...at least without proper supervision.

You might want to just concentrate on your more immediate goal first...getting that first job that will help you build your experience base. Depending on what it is, you might get the opportunity to assist more experienced techs and admins, getting the "hands on" you'll need.

Good luck. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Terry - welcome aboard. Glad you found us.

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Terry and welcome to the forum :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  5. Tyler D

Tyler D Gigabyte Poster

Greetings Terry :biggrin

Certifications: A+,70-270
    WIP: 70-290
  6. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Hi and welcome to the forum.:D

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  7. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Welcome to CF Terry.

I am sure that all your hard work will pay off soon. Keep trying :D

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT