Free practice questions?

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by cellardoor, Jul 27, 2005.

1. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Hi,

I'm thinking about sitting the MCDST exams. Does anyone know if there are any free practice questions around? I've done the free exam prep at microsoft/learning. Fairly painless!

If not, I guess I might buy a book....

Cheers!

Certifications: MCDST, MCSA
  2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

You may be able to find some free mock test questions, you'd still better purchase some reliable books and start studying. Free practice exams might help teach you how to answer questions but they'll never teach you how to do the job.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

i'm sure there will be some free practice questions scattered around the internet (and i don't mean braindumps, that's a major no-no), but that will never be enough for you to prepare well for the exams, let alone for the real thing on the job.
    to properly prepare i can only suggest to buy some good books on the subject and get hands-on experience by actually playing around with the software, and if you really want practice questions, you can try out transcender, examforce, etc.

of course, books, software and practice exams are expensive, i know. but many books can be bought second hand, most microsoft software is available in an evaluation edition, and even practice exams can be found at a reasonable price.

4. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Whats a brain dump? I keep seeing that term mentioned..

Also, can you recommend a good book? I'll get my boss to buy it :biggrin

5. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&lr=&safe=off&oi=defmore&q=define:Braindump

When you take a certification exam, you sign a non-disclosure agreement (NDA) stating that you will not reveal any of the test's content to anyone. The integrity of the exam and thus the validity of the certification would suffer if test takers all told the world what the exact questions (and possibly the answers) were.

There are some test takers who disregard their NDA (the same as signing a contract and then ignoring the terms), write down everything they can remember and post them to braindump sites where anyone can access them. This is very unethical and probably illegal. Also, since people are doing this from membry, the validity of the information they are providing is pretty dodgy and who knows if the answers they are providing are correct?

Bottom line is CertForums and any other reputable organization involved with the certification industry does not tolerate the promotion or use of braindumps.

Hope that sorts it out. Cheers. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  6. d-Faktor
    Honorary Member

d-Faktor R.I.P - gone but never forgotten.

not only is braindumping illegal, it is also unethical, because it devaluates the overal worth and status of the particular cert, thus ruining it for the others. also, using dumps will come back to haunt you, because being able to memorize actual exam questions does not provide you with the tools and knowledge required for the job.
    when you are looking for free practice questions, like you are now, you will definitely come accross braindumps. and sometimes they are difficult to spot. so be wary, and try to use official practice exams vendors as much as possible.

7. Loopy

Loopy Bit Poster

You may also find this page useful http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/offers/mcdst/ if you haven't seen it already. Microsoft are giving away free online training and test papers for the MCDST. I've had a quick look at them they are quite good.
    I've bought the Exam Cram 2 books for 70-271 & 70-272 which look good, i've not started working on these yet though.
    Don't forget you can use Microsoft's 2nd shot offer until the end of august if you want to give an exam a try first!!. Good luck :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP 70-270
    WIP: MCSA Windows Server 2003
  8. cellardoor

cellardoor Nibble Poster

Thanks Loopy! I found the exam prep in the general forum but didn't realise there was more! Now done the readiness tool and only scored 60% so will be buying a book I think!