Fraser McKenzie

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by chrissie, Apr 20, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. chrissie

chrissie New Member

I know this topic was stopped, but I need some advice. My son went for an 'interview' on friday and ended up being offered a job there and then. I had my doubts, so researched the company and found this site. I'm glad I did, but not sure if I'm too late. Is their anyone who got out of this scam without paying anything? I know alot of people where complaining about them, but no one actually said about the outcome.I really need some help.

2. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

From what you say it sounds like he has accepted their "offer". If you act quickly he can decline this if he hasn't signed anything yet (if he has, there may be cooling off periods depending on exactly what he signed).

Act quickly to avoid any problems.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  3. Madge

Madge New Member

I need some help too! My brother is in the same boat too. I would be grateful if you share as much information as possible. What have you done so far? Have you had any replies? We have written to PPI, Fraser Mckenzie and Barclays to cancel the contract. Now waiting for reply. I don't have the heart to break the news to my elderly parents and cannot afford to pay.I feel really distressed and angry at these people. It is absolutely daylight robbery and they are prowling on young inexperienced people.

4. chrissie

chrissie New Member

Frazer McKenzie told my son he could cancel because they hadn't put the paperwork in. (He signed on a friday and he spoke to them on the tuesday). I wrote to PPi who said they hadn't received anything, but Barclays said if he had signed he would have to pay. I sent them a copy of the letter from PPi, but haven't heard anything back as yet. Trading standards say if you signed on their premises, they have done nothing wrong. If they took it any further, I was going to look into if they were miss- selling, as you go for a job interview, but end up signing a loan agreement.

5. Madge

Madge New Member

Thanks for your reply. I found something on the previous closed thread and the person said the same thing about them not receiving cancellation letter, so your message confirmed their next step. They will demand 500 next. Did your son disclose any bank details or credit card details? Was your son given a copy of the signed agreements? I will keep you updated and it would help enormously if you did that too. We cannot let people get away like this.

6. Jase2009

Jase2009 Bit Poster

Hi - It depends really on if your son passed their 'credit check' - Fraser McKenzie's business relies on getting people without much money to take out the £5K or so on a loan with the promise of future riches (which they will not get obviously) - the loan increases with interest to about £8K or so.

If he passed the credit check and he signed the form then they have got you by the short and curlies - they are not the sort of company to let you cancel out of hand. As per the pervious posts I beleive you can pay £500 to cancel the agreement if you get there wityhin 2 weeks - but as I say you need to check with your son if he passed the credit check? If he didnt then you will be ok as they will have no means to get the momey from him.

Incidentally the only person who was positive about the whole Fraser McKenzie training from the last thread that got locked on here has written on his blog in the last few days that he has now realises it was a scam! I was wondering how long it was going to take..

http://getrichinayear.blogspot.com/2009/03/fraser-mckenzie-worried.html

goolge fraser Mckenzie Scam and you will find quite a few posts on it

7. Daniel006

Daniel006 New Member

Hello all,

I was unfortunate enough to sign up back in October last year. Being financially indepndent I am very careful with what I agree to and did not sign on the spot (as they pressure people to do) but took it away to do some research. Unfortunately these threads weren't about (or any other info apart from their very poor website) when I signed otherwise I would have avoided them like a Mexican pig-farmer (hope that doesn't offend anyone it was a joke).

Basically, I signed thinking it was it was a good opportunity and being assured that they 'only take people who succeed'...'you don't need any previous experience' etc. Now I realise that it is virtually impossible to pass their training unless you do have experience and fear that I will have to pay the £4,500 out of my own pocket.

I was wondering if there's anyone else out there in the same position and what steps/actions I can take to prevent me from being out of pocket or reduce the amount I owe. Unfortunately I have already undertaken the courses they put you on.

I am very upset that I have fallen for it and gutted that it's going to shallow up nearly every penny my life savings (which I was saving for a mortgage deposit).

If anyone else has any questions about FM please don't hesitate to ask and I'll answer them fully.

Thanks

Dan
    x

8. Madge

Madge New Member

You could try complaining to the Financial Ombudsman which regulate Barclays Partner Finance and also to Barclays Partner Finance. If you have or your parents have legal assistance on your home insurance policy to seek legal advice. Also, citizens advice bureau or legal aid.

Good luck

9. Sarah Jane

Sarah Jane New Member

Cancel direct debit agreement with the bank and write to Barclays complaining about the 'recruitment methods' of FM who are exploiting vulnerable young people, students and foreign students. They are v misleading at interview and do a credit check and then ask you to sign an agreement to 'get funding,' without making it clear that the person would then be committed to taking out a personal loan. Barclays needs to be aware of this and the more people that write the better. The Office of Fair Trading, Birmingham is currently investigating Fraser McKenzie. If you have any concerns let them know as the more of a 'voice' that duped clients have, the better.

Hope this helps!

Sarah Jane

10. gurusapprentice

gurusapprentice Nibble Poster

Listen I cannot say this clearly enough WETHER IT IS FRAZIER MCKENZIE SKILLS TRAIN OR WHOEVER DO NOT PAY!!! I hate to see people feeling like they are going to lose everything etc contact a solicitor not a no win no fee and citizens advice. These companys work on the lemming theory ( all follow off the top of a cliff) that everyone or most will pay to avoid bad debt etc. Again the important thing to find out is wether they are actually accredited to provide the training offered most of the scam firms are not and although they don't like to get involved both comptia and microsoft will both act if they feel products are being missold also contact watchdog. Most importantly don't make yourselves ill over it.

Certifications: MCSA+Messaging
    WIP: Degree CCNA/CCNP 70-622 MCITP:E e
  11. Bash

Bash Bit Poster

Ive been contacted from Fraser Mckenzie 3-4 times before and each time i told em to stick it lol. Its crazy that "companies" can prey on people (especially youngsters) like this and get away with ripping people off. Just out of interest have any of you been contacted by FM in Bristol??

WIP: A+
  12. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Umm... it pains me to defend training firms in the slightest... but you don't have to be accredited - by anyone - to provide CompTIA or Microsoft training. If you think you do, you've been misinformed.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  13. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

This was a weird thread, almost everyone seemed like some kind of spam bot, just because it was new members and no WIP or anything.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  14. hugorilho

hugorilho Byte Poster

i signed with Computrain back in March. i was in a somewhat desperate state and wanted to find a job and I stupidly went along with their pitch. When I found out about what these companies are really about I simply stopped sending money to them and sent them an e-mail, which is reporduced below:

Hello J.,

I would like to share with you my feelings of disappointment and frustration with you and
    Computrain-uk. I’m cancelling the contract and you will never see another penny from me ever
    again because I feel that you guys just don’t know what you are doing.
    The problems started with Barry McGregor. He didn’t reply to my e-mails. What kind of “24
    hour tutor” is that?
    Then after you made me spend more money calling you to address this unfortunate situation,
    neither you or Barry could give more than evasive and dumb excuses: “Oh he was in a meeting
    and bla bla bla”, and Barry just stuttered without being able to justify his lack of responsiveness.
    And I had legitimate doubts about how to work with the Mindleaders system that you guys are
    simply reselling. Everything should have been explained before I signed up and it wasn’t.
    Then you guys “gave” me another tutor, Sam Slack. When I got doubtful about why in the
    world did I simply “skipped” the ECDL exam and started the MCDST training materials, I asked
    Sam to clear my mind about this. She actually said this: “you do not take an exam for the
    ECDL”. This is simply not true because there is an actual ECDL exam. It is a reality that she
    denied and therefore lied about it.
    Now, the ECDL exam is not a requisite to pursue the MCSE course. The Comptia A+ and N+
    and the MCDST exams enable someone to go for the MCSE.
    And, you actually have explicitly written on your website that this MCSE course includes A+ and
    N+.
    “The ECDL, CompTIA A+ and N+ certifications are included in this programme and provide both
    foundation training as well as separate and distinct credentials.”
    Whatever happened to those exams?
    Now, you’re telling me that I have to buy an “optional” £600 exam pack in order to you guys to
    book my exams for me or else I’m on my own???? Now, there’s another important detail that
    you simply DID NOT MENTION BEFORE I SIGNED UP!
    Here’s another one: Computrain-uk is a bootcamp that resells certification materials that
    should be used by people who already work in IT or use these technologies in daily basis within
    their work environment, in order for them to get certified. That’s why these materials are so
    concise and almost cryptic because they should be used by people already in touch with the
    concepts and the technologies. And Microsoft itself clearly states that the MCSE candidate
    should have at least 1 year of working experience dealing with networks and servers:
    (http://www.microsoft.com/learning/mcp/mcse/mcse.mspx). I was not told about this “little
    minor detail”.
    J., this is just too much and you know that. You have to admit that you guys just don’t know
    what you are doing and cannot cope with the kind of mess you’re dealing with. You simply took
    advantage of my desperate and unemployed state to take my money in clever way, I give you
    that.
    Just a word of advice: if you want to carry on scamming people like you’ve been doing to me,
    try to avoid these mistakes. They are the ones who will eventually ruin your business.
    Now, I understand that you guys probably can’t wait to take legal action against me because
    I’m breaking a contract. Well this what I have to say to you: BRING IT ON! If you have a
    minimum of decency and morality you guys should already be happy cause you just made £775
    out of my expense and I couldn’t care less about that money. You can have it and spend it on a
    nice vacation to my home country Portugal where is hot and sunny.
    Have a nice vacation and a nice life.
    PS: I will not log on to the MindLeaders system or the Measure UP site ever again.

Never heard from them ever again and to be honest I'm not really worried cause I have enough arguements to support my decision.

I'm still unemployed but I kept studying for the MCDST and yesterday I passed the 70-271. Life just goes on!

Certifications: MCDST
  15. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Guys and girls - this isn't aimed at anyone in particular.

Firstly - never sign anything on the spot based on 'too good to be true' promises. It should be no inconvenience to anyone (except you) to come back the next day. If they don't like it then there is something afoot.

Secondly - there will usually be some sort of cooling off period. Write to everyone and anyone, send it recorded and fax it and send it by email. Never rely on someone taking a message or passing it on. Never trust someone who says that they just won't process your application or will tear up your paperwork.

Thirdly - don't stop paying. Make payments under protest by all means, but if you stop paying a bank loan it will be between you and the bank. It then ceases to be about the course being a scam, or whatever, and will simply be you refusing to pay back a loan. The powers that be won't even care what the loan was for. You will suddenly be the bad guy and lose any credibility that you may have. You'll claim they haven't done something and they'll just say that your account is in arrears so they don't have to.

Fourthly - complain by all means, but accept the danger that you won't be able to prove that they've done anything wrong. It may be unethical, the odds may be stacked in their favour - but you agreed to all that when you signed up. A solicitor won't tell you that you've been a silly boy, they will tell you that you've got a strong case. Then they'll charge you £500 for each letter they send and guess what, you've been had twice. Do you think you're the first person to complain or to go to trading standards, or court? No, and they're still there doing what they've always done, so it didn't work.

Lastly - if you put half as much effort into studying as you do into complaining, you might actually get something of benefit out of the course.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  16. auditor81

auditor81 New Member

Hello!!!

Just signed up to this forum it's my first post

I've just been for an 'interview' at Bristol, seemed to good to be true what they were offering!

Basically I have to complete MCSE within 6 months, I'm a complete beginner and know hardly anything about networking.

I didn't give bank details so no chance they can credit check me I think

They were talking about getting my parents to guarantee the £5000 course fee's if I don't complete the training within 6 months!! That would ruin them financially

So glad I found this forum they are clearly scammers

Just out of interest where can I study for MCSE? And how long does it take to complete?
    Do I need to take other Microsoft exams before I go for MCSE?

I'm halfway through a CISCO CCNA online course but it's not been very technical so far, wondering if I should just sack it off and do the Microsoft courses??

Many thanks for any input, I'm trying to eventually become a network engineer and I don't really have a clue what qualifications I need to get there so any advice would be great

cheers

Auditor

17. BosonMichael

If you're a complete beginner, then the MCSE isn't right for you. The MCSE is designed for people with at least 12 months of server administration experience... not 12 months in IT, but 12 months doing server administration - which is NOT typically what you'll be doing starting out in IT. Thus, even if you were to pass all the MCSE exams, it's not likely to be relevant to what you'll be doing in your first IT job.

Nor will the CCNA. The CCNA is designed for people who are starting to administer Cisco routers. Again, this isn't something that you'll be doing in your first IT job. Thus, even if you were to pass the CCNA, it's not relevant to an entry-level IT job.

What I would recommend is to pursue some solid entry-level certifications, starting with the A+ certification, then pursuing Network+ and the MCDST... and no further until you get some real-world IT experience under your belt.

Welcome to the forums!

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  18. auditor81

auditor81 New Member

oh and I have to say props to you, how many certifications have you got!! If I listen to any advice it will be off you mate you clearly know what you're talking about, unlike those muppets at Fraser-Mckenzie.

Hello Good Sir thanks for your reply,

Much appreciated for giving me a heads up I'll take your advice and move forward with it

I'll have a look on google to see where in Bristol I could take the A + Certification, I may be back with a couple of questions if that's OK.......

Thanks again for your help I'll be a regular visitor to this forum from now on

19. BosonMichael

Although I used to be a "real tech", I now write certification practice exam content for a living. However, unlike most training providers, I'm going to tell you the truth about certification, not just a bunch of self-serving stuff designed to drive you towards buying our products. :)

20. ben_westbrom

ben_westbrom Bit Poster

I had an interview there the other week, when they spoke to me on the phone it sounded like a good idea thb. But i was a bit weary. When i got in there, it was totally unprofessional, i had my 'interview' in a walkway! while people were walking past.
    In the end i came to the conclusion, why put myself in the position of even possible having to pay them. When i can self learn just as easily.

Certifications: A+, MCDST, 70 - 290
    WIP: 70-291