Foundations Exam revision tips??

Discussion in 'CIW Certifications' started by tobo, Feb 13, 2009.

1. tobo

tobo Bit Poster

HI all!

I am booked in to take my first exam for the CIW foundations and I'm having a bit of a nightmare getting my head round all the different topics and general amount of info covered in the three course books for this section.
    I wonder if anyone who has done this exam could suggest some revision tips they found helpful?
    Also do I need to memorise things like the maximum speeds for each of the cable categories and for connection standards etc etc or is this just info that is given but not necessarily expected that I should be able to reel off without the aid of a book or the internet!!??
    anyway apreciate any helpful suggestions. :)

2. tobo

tobo Bit Poster

Guess I stumped everyone!?

Nevermind fingers crossed for Monday as long as my brain dosent turn to mush by then!!

Any one know how long till the results come in???

cheers all!:biggrin

3. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

I haven't taken any of the CIW exams, however if they are anything like MS, Comptia, Cisco, IC3, Adobe, etc exams. You should be presented with the results of the exam right after the exam, however don't quote me.

While I can't give you any exam specific tips, I can point you to a cram guide by Cramsession and wish you luck :)

Let us know how you get on :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  4. tobo

tobo Bit Poster

Thanks Ken! I'll let you know when i do :rolleyes:

5. thecatsmother

thecatsmother Byte Poster

Yes, you should learn the cable categories, etc, if the mock tests are anything to go by, and you will find out your results immediately after the exam. Good luck.

WIP: CIW Website Design Manager
  6. Sharepointuser

Sharepointuser New Member

Hi all and specifically tobo!

Only just come across this forum today just over one week after taking the foundation exam?!

Yes you need to know the different cable speeds (T1 T3 ISDN Cat 5 etc) and as much as possible generally about the network technology foundations. As the exam comprises 85 questions, 25 of which cover networking you'll loose vital marks to pass if your knowledge in this area is not up to scratch.

I deduced that there would be at least one question about the OSI model as well, so learning the separate layers functions is a bit of an imperative.

I purchased an exam revision software application (Ucertify) as well which cost 55 quid! A bit steep but it was very good practice for the actual exam conditions, and contained lots of other goodies like glossaries, flash cards etc Spent a week before the exam using it relentlessly - I'll definitely do the same for the Designer exam.

7. tobo

tobo Bit Poster

Thanks thecatsmother and shrepointer. I did learn the cable tipes and OSI model, was easier to memorise than I thought guess it was just a bit dauntingwhen you first read it. the main issue I had was that because this was the first exam I had no Idea how the questions would be. but revised like a mad man and got 86% pass, needed 63% I think to pass.:biggrin:biggrin

now onto web languages!!:blink
    cheers.

8. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Congrats! :)

Qs

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA