Found 682 hard!

Discussion in 'Windows 7 / 8 /10 Client Exams' started by RichyV, Dec 5, 2011.

1. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Well, just scraped a pass in 70-682 today - found it harder than expected; scored 733.

There were three 'types' of Q's:

1. "Seen it, done it; No problems as only 1 answer was possibly correct."
    2. "Hmmm, one of two and I'm not sure which..."

OK, so nothing out of the ordinary yet, BUT...

3. "Eh... What..? Don't understand the Answer let alone the Question!"

...and I think a lot of it came about due to there being no SPECIFIC study material - it just isn't the same as all of 680 PLUS all of 685, due to the fact that it's an upgrade exam and some of it would have been covered by the previous XP or Vista exams that you have to take before this one. Certainly seems that they try to get you 'thinking outside the box'. MS should really take a look at this... According to the transcript I did better at the 685 part, which isn't what I expected as I used the MS Press book for the 680 part, but as I said these aren't 680 recycled q's, so it's difficult to know exactly what will be tested.

Anyway, I guess a pass is a pass at the end of the day and I'm happy.

Probably on to the 70-686 in the New Year and then I guess I should tackle some Server 2008 stuff...

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
    WIP: 70-686, then onto MCSE: Desktop Infrastructure via MCSA: Server 2012...
  2. andylad9

andylad9 Byte Poster

congrats on the pass

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | 70-680 | 70-685 | MTA Server
    WIP: deciding now...
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Congrats on the pass mate :)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nice one, congrats mate 8)

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  5. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Thanks all... :)

Oh, and there was something else I forgot to mention; that the 685 'scenario' type q's were in the first half of the exam, followed by the more 'normal' stuff for 680 in the 2nd part - I was given 2:10 total: 1:20 for section 1 (25 q's) & 0:50 for the 2nd section (again 25 q's).

Certifications: B.Sc.(Hons), MBCS. MCP (271,272), MCDST, MCTS (680), MCITP:EDST7, MCSA:WIN7, MCPS, MCNPS
  6. soundian

soundian Gigabyte Poster

Congrats.

I remember the 680 in the same fond way. Too many WTF moments for my liking. I thought there were too many server-side questions for a client exam. At least, I thought they were server-side questions :unsure
    I think you're right with them assuming knowledge from previous study/experience, and I didn't do the 682, the 680 is the same.

Certifications: A+, N+,MCDST,MCTS(680), MCP(270, 271, 272), ITILv3F, CCENT
    WIP: Knuckling down at my new job
  7. Boffy

Boffy Megabyte Poster

Congrats on the pass RichyV 8)

Certifications: BSc Computer Game Technology, A+
    WIP: MOS 2010
  8. shocksl

shocksl Byte Poster

weldone mate, pass is a pass! I wish I was in your shoes (not literally, but you know). Congrats!

9. RichyV

RichyV Megabyte Poster

Thanks everybody!

Thanks for that, yeah, I know what you mean & I am quite happy now that I decided to do the 682 instead of the 2 separate exams but it was certainly harder work and they seemed a 'step-up' from what was required do the 271/2 exams.

Anyone know of how close the 686 requirements are to the 685? Only the Sybex book covers both (but does not give any ideas about which sections are for which exam) and I read through almost all of that so I'll make my choice of next years exam date on the basis of how much overlap there is. The more there is, the earlier I can take it!

10. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

In my experience, there is little overlap. The 686 concentrates on the in's & out's of design and deployment. Something that is either not covered or briefly covered on the 685.

While the MCITP: ESDT7 is the replacement of the MCDST, they are not really comparable.

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security