For all of us undertaking A+, lets do some work together...

Discussion in 'A+' started by albertc30, Nov 15, 2008.

1. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

I am using another PSU thermaltake 750 thoughpower cable management and this one works fine mate on another system of mine.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  2. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

are there any cables plugged into the drive? I ask this because if say a one cable is attached then the computer will expect the other cable to function and will give system instability if it doesn't.

If it is connected in anyway try removing the connections and see what happens when you boot.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is there anything in the event logs that might suggest why it rebooted the previous time?

Also when you log back in do you get a "Windows has recovered from a serious error" message?

At this stage I would guess its a PSU or mobo issue, if its hardware related that is :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. greenbrucelee

I have said PSU all the time too

5. del_port

del_port Byte Poster

All your temperatures are perfectly fine and exactly the figures i'd expect to see on any computer running upwards of a 700 mhz processor,and the processor is working normally too by the looks of it.

Personally i'd completely rule out any fault to the processor, others will say yes it might be faulty but my view is it is fine.
    As i said every faulty cpu i've ever seen will simply not work,you won't boot to windows and run a machine normally for that length of time with a faulty cpu is what i feel.

It may or may not be the motherboard.It looks the most likely cause at the moment.

Power supply doesn't seem to be the issue at all as far as i'm concerned.You are getting the same results with a good quality highly rated power supply,which is effectively like plugging in a brand new one.

I guess the answer will be clear soon when you receive the cpu and motherboard bundle.

Certifications: A+ and MCDST 70-271
    WIP: mcdst 272
  6. greenbrucelee

even good PSUs can go dodgy.

I still don't see how there is power ( a light) coming on on that drive if it isn't connected. Essentially if a drive isn't connected its a box with some bits in it, and that's it. Something ain't connected correctly.

7. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Check the bios event log if its got one.

WIP: LIFE
  8. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Maybe its a wireless floppy :biggrin

WIP: LIFE
  9. supernova

supernova Gigabyte Poster

albertc30

Just realised that there doesn't seem to be a full spec listed for the PC in the first page of thread (have'nt read through all again as i have to go out in a min)

Mobo make model etc
    CPU make , class, speed etc
    Ram etc

etc

May help

Also if you could document everything in first post, lost track of what has been tried, what hasn't and results.

AndiC

Certifications: Loads
    WIP: Lots
  10. supernova

Does the speed of the CPU change or voltage (or system bus speed) before it turns itself off?

IE the FPS in a game or results in CPU-Z, latter is more reliable

If it comes down to the last two cpu and mobo with no obvious diagnoses (ie rule out everything else) . You cant really rule out either without a swap, i agree it is less likely to be the cpu, however, would not rule it out especially if Intel with those symptoms.

AndiC

11. albertc30

Well I am just about to do what you have sugested with CPU Z but it will require me stairing at it until it goes dead.

Here's a pic of CPU Z running on the pc.

About the flopy drive, the only cable connected to it is the fat cable that connects it to the motherboard and no power is going into the flopy yet the ligh still comes on when turning pc on.... weird....

thanks everybody

one more thing, what I have noticed so far is the CPU Voltage goes from 1.392 to 1.408 and backwards, the system buz speed goes from 199.9MHz to 200.0MHz and backwards.

Attached Files:

12. supernova

Thats looks fine to me.

I just wondered if it suddenly began to slow down before turning itself off.

I must admit it does sound like classic overheating or psu, i know you checked these

13. albertc30

Hello mate.
    I had it checked with CPU Z and I had to film it as I needed to do some other things around the house.
    I died after like 10 minutes and went to check the video and the system buz speed and the cpu voltage are the same when it dies.

About the power supply this is one that I know it to be working as it workes fine on another system.

In my opinion this problem rest either on the mobo or the cpu but I am more inclinned for the motherboard, lets see only time will tell.

I am expecting some parts I had purchased on eBay and the board is socket 399 so I'll be testing the CPU and mobo.

Thanks for everybodys help.

I'll keep you guys posted.

14. supernova

Yes i would like to know when you get the spares, it intrigues me now. Normally i wouldnt get involved like a thread like this because i prefer hands-on diagnosis when it comes to hardware

15. Markyboyt

Markyboyt Kilobyte Poster

Guess you can't please everyone. I'm not quite sure what triggered the outburst, seemed a little random with you not even saying it was bad caps but I wouldnt take it personally, maybe it was a bad day.

WIP: A+
  16. greenbrucelee

take the cable out, as I said if a data cable is in a no power cable this can cause issues, the same goes the other way around.

See what happens then

Although I still think PSU is screwed

17. fishytroll

fishytroll New Member

Mmm, but of a puzzle this one matey, though now that I come to think of it, I bought a brand new Asus SLI motherboard a couple of years ago and this sounds like the same thing as is happening to yours. I tested everything I could and eventually sent the motherboard back to the supplier - who confirmed the board was faulty. This would fire up, then crash to black screen, leave it 20 mins or so and it's fire up, crash, etc etc.
    Components like capacitors and resistors can be very difficult to test, and capacitors can be quite dangerous, as I am sure you know. Your efforts tend me to lean towards a duff motherboard now, hope you sort it out, best of luck.

18. supernova

It's irrelevant but perhaps that part of the system is bus powered, and its in a weird logic sate or floating. With a modern floppy drive the FDC is built in the super I/O not on the drive itself.

19. greenbrucelee

OK but he did say there's a cable plugged into it this could be causing the instability.

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

I agree, that when fault finding you should disconnect completely every piece of hardware that isn't necessary for the normal operation of the computer.

This includes, floppy drives, sound cards, NICs, modems, DVD burners et al.

All you need, is CPU/MOBO/RAM, Video card (if it has one), PSU and hard drive.

Alternatively.. disconnect the HDD and boot from a Linux live CD and see how stable it is or BartPE with some diagnostic software on it.

Having said that, my money is still on the MOBO :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)