Folder Redirection - Win7 on a 2K3 network

Discussion in 'Software' started by zebulebu, Oct 15, 2010.

1. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Dude, what have you been smoking? ....and can I have some :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Sparky: doesn't really work like that :( Besides, every company is different, so things written in that doc, may not always be 100% appropriate for another org.

But yeah, some of that stuff that the gent above has been having, could make for one wild night. Mandatory profiles are not-at-all required.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You're absolutely right, as I did state in my post if you read it correctly that it's a different issue from the one raised. I don't think there's any need for wanting to sound right all the time.

Nuff said:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Is there any responsible people left on this forum anymore?. I suppose the reason why I visit less frequent.

My post was referring to my experience on roaming profiles on Wins 2003 svr domain running roaming profiles on a Vista OS. It didn't work with a roaming profile at the time, to be precise two years ago.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Don't smoke dude.

6. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Onoski, they may have jumped on you a little harshly but that's because what you said made no sense :)

We accept that roaming profiles can be painful to implement under these circumstances but... that does not mean that mandatory profiles should be used instead. Mandatory profiles are a totally different ballgame :blink

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  7. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If the roaming profile was playing up could the guy not just use a local profile? Especially if he has a laptop as the chances are he will be using the same machine each day.

Perhaps a redirect of the Documents folder and using offline folders may have helped.

I don’t think anyone meant to jump on you before, it was just what you said appeared to be out of context with the discussion at that point.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  8. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

Back on topic:

I''m experiencing issue described here:
    http://social.technet.microsoft.com.../thread/30747cb2-dd7e-4cf1-9cbd-5c534b3bfc28/

with the difference that my permissions are correct and it generally works but only for some users and not for others. I will try to disable "Move the contents of XXXX to new location" in GPO tomorrow and see if it works fine for users. Easier to sync data manually than recreate the profile.

I'm redirecting Desktop, Favourites and Documents only (although for XP the settings for Pictures, Music... is set to follow documents).

I can't understand what the pattern is and why it works for some and not the others.

Last edited: Oct 26, 2010
    WIP: Uhmm... not sure
  9. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

And one of the reasons I visit less frequently is people who clearly don't understand the topic chucking their tuppenorth in. This forum is read by a lot of people (I've lost count of the number of times I've Googled something and a post on here has come up higher in the search rankings than the relevant MS KB or newsgroup postings) and it doesn't look good if someone comes here, reads a couple of posts then gets patently false information.

I don't mean this to sound deliberately harsh, but I do wish people would think before posting 'advice' sometimes - it's all well and good when you post an 'opinion', but posting something that is factually completely inaccurate isn't helpful at all - not just to the OP, but to people following on afterward long after the topic in question has ceased to be the sujet du jour.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  10. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Zeb, to get the "My Documents" renamed back to the user profile, did you end up deleting the desktop.ini file? it's usually hidden in the user's documents. This was the only way for me to fix this. However every now and then this issue keeps coming back. I've abandoned this for a little bit to get my head straight or else I was going to lose it!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  11. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Hi Luke, it looks like this is a permission issue and also compare the permissions on group membership of this particular user with a user's account that works correctly.

I have had similar issues in the past with some users network folder redirection and settings not workking properly and usually its a corrupt profile or an incorrect folder rights access permissions.

If all else fails might be time to backup the users data and recreate the network folder etc. Best wishes:)

12. LukeP

LukeP Gigabyte Poster

It's definately not permissions issue. It's working fine and the only part that doesn't work is a feature to move all the contents of redirected folder to network location on first login. Other than that it's all good.
    Thanks

WIP: Uhmm... not sure