Flirting at Work: Good or Bad?

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by tripwire45, Feb 5, 2008.

1. PhoenixAngelique

PhoenixAngelique Byte Poster

Couldn't agree more Phoenix.
    I'm aparently guilty of the flirting thing - it's been said too many times I'm a natural flirt (don't even know when I'm doing it).
    I've had a couple of managers at work approach me asking if I'd like to file a grievance ith them about one guy or another, because THEY thought the guy had overstepped the mark.
    Most know me well enough now to know very very litte could rattle me into grievance mode but jeez talk about nosey!

Flirting keeps peoples spirits up - for the most part - for those that see that neon flashing sign

WIP: CIW Master Website Design Manager
  2. harpistic

harpistic Byte Poster

I was once told by a (male) friend that flirting = talking while smiling. :rolleyes:

Certifications: Pet Geekery
    WIP: cure for insomnia
  3. PhoenixAngelique

Lol was he for real or just yanking your chain?

4. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Surely flirting is the initial part of the mating game whereby you losen up the oposition ? It's testing the water so to speak, designed to find out if someones sexually interested without harming either parties ego. As such I would say its very much unacceptable in the workplace.

Of course people will still engage in it, its part of human behaviour. I guess its ok as long as nobody oversteps the mark, but then you'd be surprised what happens after a few drinks at the works do...:blink

5. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

There's no harm in it. As long as it's just a light-hearted flirt.

I'm too shy to do it at work. The most I normally do is smile back if a nice looking chap winks when i'm in the car..even then I usually go bright red :oops: ...someone asked how I could do the pole dancing, but that's cos practice was in a gym and when we did it for fun in the clubs I could hide in the shadows 8)

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  6. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well flirting at work , i love it and it makes the day go faster and also gives you a spring in your step.

I was in a situation once where the boss of where i worked was having an affair with some lady. It wasnt the IT industry it was back in the day when i was a mechanic. She used to come all the time to get her car fixed , for nothing usually. Anyway one day she turns uup and im in charge of the floor and she came into the MOT office where i was filling out boring paperwork. she didn piunce on me there and then but made it clear that she wanted something to happen, so i told her wed meet up and go for a drink i southport.

Met up with her and again the flirting was very evindent and i really hardly spoke to my mates that night, we went back to hers and lets just say we didnt get much sleep. This went on for over a year and the best thikng about it was the boss could not say anything as he was already married.

This was a luccky one as i used to play football on a sunday, she would come and meet me from work on a saturday, take me to where she lived, cook my tea, get me drunk and mainly pay for the night out and then drop me back on sunday in time for football, i mean come on how good ist that.

Sad to say though it didnt last as she started getting posessive and wanted more time with me, this i didnt mind, but the football, she wanted me to 'cut down' on that. That caused a few arguements and we called it a day . I wont let a woman stop me playing footie, shed lose interest if i was fat and lazy lol.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

:ohmy ...and did you have a g/f / wife at home at the time? :blink

8. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I'm all for it. I've worked in publishing for quite a while where thankfully people tend to be quite young and laid back, the flirting is rampant. It's a right good laugh

In my current job, I have what has been termed a 'work wife'. Basically, we get on really well, we bicker like an old married couple, we flirt outrageously and we mostly talk in innuendos. I've got a long-term girl whom I wouldn't leave for anything short of her stabbing me in ther head, my colleague has a live-in fella, so nothing will ever, ever happen, but it's just plain fun. We sometimes go out for drinks after work or lunch, just the two of us, and both our other halves are well aware of us (they've even met on several occassions) and if anything they find it funny. It does make the day more pleasant.

Problem is though, I have seen incidents that have been well ugly, people get too much grog in them on a work night out, take the fact that someone has been smiliing at them or leant them a pen or something stupid the wrong way, then tried to pest them. Mostly very messy.

Humans, you gotta love 'em

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  9. zxspectrum

zxspectrum Terabyte Poster Forum Leader Gold Member

Well yes to be honest which was also a reason i didnt want any ties, god i used it have it cushty, neither of them knew about each other nor did they meet, maybe i should of let them meet and go down the threesome root, damn chance missed.

Ed

Certifications: BSc computing and information systems
    WIP: 70-680
  10. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Speechless!

11. noelg24

noelg24 Terabyte Poster

in my experience, flirting in the workplace is bad! Bad...but its something that cant be helped. i would say I could blame the opposite sex, but it works both ways. We can blame women and they can blame men.

But if u ask me, i dont think i could flirt with another woman. At this point in my life im finding it hard to trust women! There are a select few I am flirty with but I already know them well enough to do that. But if I havent met them, I am cautious to begin with. Until we have had a few encounters (not like that :dry) and I know I can talk to this woman in a civilised manner then we'll see what goes on from there.

All in all, flirting in the office/workplace is BAD! Even if its harmless...some people can take it in the wrong context and even take offence. So its not a case of crossing the line its also a case of being careful what you say.

Certifications: A+
    WIP: my life
  12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

The sexual harrasment thing is when things are taken too far there's a difference between a joke a smile between collegues its a different thing saying to the girl next you get your baps out because thats just wrong.

Its a healthy thing that makes work a bit more enjoyable. :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  13. PhoenixAngelique

Lol how so? I gues the guys I work with are just uber easy going or summat I get away with murder with them and they can say pretty much anything to me - or is it me that's the laid back one? Hmmm I have like 3 "work hubbies" their partners know about me and have met me and whomever I chose to date gets told about them too from the get go so it's all gravy.

14. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Do you think we've met before? I currently get squidgy things thrown at me at work for saying that far too much. :blink:p

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  15. PhoenixAngelique

Lmao I don't think so, didn't recognise you from the CTG photo's.

Do you have any idea how many people have never heard that expression, I just get weird looks and the what the heck was that supposed to mean comments throw at me - no squidgy stuff for me.

Not going to ask what squidgy stuff they throw at you, sounds messy though.
    Hehe your collegues would hate it if I worked at the same place as you then I bet.

16. Arroryn

Hey, I don't recognise me from the CFTG photos. lol. If you worked here too, you'd get projectiles thrown at you too. It's normally restricted to stress toys though. No liquids. Not in IT. The coffee is too precious.

17. PhoenixAngelique

Lol fair enough on the photo's.

Ah stress toys, I could handle that, it tends to be paper aeroplanes in our office - that or choccies which hurts.

I can't drink coffee :( so I stick to Lucozade

18. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Aren't you the Winona Ryder lookalike? Except with a worse haircut? :twisted:

('scuse me while I run away...)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  19. PhoenixAngelique

Lol cold Michael

20. Arroryn

He knows he'll die later :rolleyes: