First Week New Job!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by craigie, Jul 6, 2009.

1. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Well, I have been in my new post for a week now, and I have to say it has been pretty intense!

My first day, I arrived at work 30 minutes before my scheduled start time. I was given some training for around an hour by my Manager on the system used internally, to manage their 400 clients and introduced to the team, there are four of us including a Team Leader.

This software is amazing, it monitors every aspect of clients PC’s, lets you know all the hardware specs, what’s installed, the PC’s event logs, it is also used for deploying all updates and its uses WinVNC for remote access.

They have girls who log most of the calls, if they are busy, we do answer the phone, but all we do is answer the call and log it, we don’t actually do any work.

We contact the customers and resolve the issues. If we are unable to resolve remotely, we pass it on for an engineer visit.

After my hours training, they threw me in at the deep end and I started to support clients. Naturally, I had lots of questions, but ultimately, it was amazing having Enterprise Access across the domain. Some of the things that I have done so far are:

- Exchange permissions 2003/2007
    - Re pointing MX records
    - Mailbox restores
    - VPN access/configurations
    - Rebooting routers galore!
    - SSL certificates for clients
    - Opening ports for third party applications
    - Firewall configurations
    - DHCP troubleshooting
    - Printer issues

I have access to everything, you name it, VMWare, Cisco, Server 2003, Server 2008, ISA, SQL, Citrix stuff, I have permissions to blow it all up or make it all better!

I’m learning a huge amount, one minute I’m working on an Exchange 2003 Server finding out who a smart host is to find out if an email address has been blacklisted, the next minute I need to configure someone’s VPN access.

The people I work with as well are truly talented, I have received lots of advice and have tons of new tools that I now use on a daily basis, such as Belarc, OpenDNS, Snadboy to name a few.

Seems like a sweet company to work for, as we all went out on Friday night in Fancy Dress which was interesting (yes there are some stories there), and the Directors paid for everything, all food and drinks.

Hopefully, if I prove myself, I should be able to get an opportunity to start doing installations, configurations and migrations.

It’s going to be a rocket ride of learning, this is a huge step up from second line in my old company, onwards and upwards old chap :D

Oh any questions, please ask peps.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  2. ericrollo

ericrollo Megabyte Poster

Give me your job

Certifications: MOS Master, A+, MCP 271
    WIP: HND, Programming, Another Job
  3. m3lt

m3lt Byte Poster

Well done mate! :p

If your company ever need a new aprentice who is willing to work for free for a couple months, let me know. :p:oops:

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+, MCDST/MCSE
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Something given isn't worth as much as something earned.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Well done and thanks for sharing as it truly sounds like an interesting role with scope to learn and apply one's knowledge etc. Best wishes:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  6. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Sounds like a great role.

Congratulations and keep us posted on your progress.

7. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Sounds like you've landed on a sweeeet spot there! congrats!

8. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Good job craigie, you definitely deserve it!

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

My new job sounds totally boring compared to that.:cry:

Sounds like you're having fun too. :thumbleft

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

All sounds good m8 - give it another year and you'll be running the place ! :biggrin

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  11. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Sounds cool, good luck :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  12. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Cool, well done on the job :)

-ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security
  13. westernkings

westernkings Gigabyte Poster

Congratz my man. Sounds like you've landed pretty well. It will look great on your CV being able to put down experience in so many things, will really make you stand out in future.

Well done.

Certifications: MCITP:VA, MCITP:EA, MCDST, MCTS, MCITP:EST7, MCITP:SA, PRINCE2, ITILv3
  14. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

thats good stuff, keep us updated (Y)

Is the networking gear all Cisco? how is your studying for CCENT going?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  15. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Mainly Draytek and SonicWALL with a few Cisco thrown into the mix.

I have been finding it pretty hard to keep the studying up as, with the new job and having so much to learn.

Also, my day is now approximately an hour longer and I don't have any time to study at work.

Not trying to make any excuses, but rest assured I will be back on the 'pony' soon!

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  16. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

all sounds good! studying can wait if you already have plenty to contend with!

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  17. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Sounds like my job, the enhanced OS is a challenge at times.

Congrats on the job mate, sounds like it will push your career to the next level. :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  18. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I was thinking that mate, however, you do more configurations and installations from what I have read.

Hopefully, if I prove myself, I will have that opportunity in the future.

Just finished installing a local printer onto a TS and sharing out, time to push out some AV's now :blink

19. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Sounds like you're having fun.

You're going to have to cut sleep out of the equation, stock up on red bull and pro plus :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  20. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Congratulations sound grate

Goes off to look at what snadboy is.