First Timer

Discussion in 'A+' started by slowfade, Mar 25, 2005.

1. slowfade

slowfade Guest

Hi
    I just joined this site.
    I was talking to my IT instructor few days ago & ask if iwanted to go into IT support in future & gave me a basic intro of what it is & sounds good/interests me. if so then i need to do the Comptia A+ course, I got a few City & Guilds certificates & nearly finished my Microsoft Office Speclist course but i did not study IT in college or Uni not that i didnt want to or didnt interest me but i always thought of IT as non work related for me anyway, not something i wanted to do in work but now i want to go into IT in work as well as non work related.

so for someone like me is there any chance of me studying this Comptia A+ course?
    Thanks

2. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I don't see why not. The A+ is an entry level hardware and OS certification that assumes the skill level of a tech with about six months experience. Actually, from what I've been hearing lately, CompTIA has raised the bar on the exam. I took my A+ exams (actually, there are two of them) a few years back and the objectives have changed since then. I believe there are quite a number of people here who are studying for and have just completed the A+ coursework so they should be able to help you along. Just let us know how you'd like to begin and any specific questions that you might have.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  3. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Agreed with Trip, slowfade - more important here is this:

Do you have an interest in the actual nuts and bolts of that box and wires that puts the picture on your monitor ? Would you, or have you already been comfortable at least opening your PC for a peak inside ? Then, if you needed a replacement part or upgrade, would you think about doing it yourself ? If you can answer yes to any or all of the above, then YES - the A+ is for you . :)

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  4. slowfade

slowfade Guest

I only ever opened up a computer once or twice but did nothing more to it, i havent unbolted components of a computer or rebuilt them, not because it doesnt interest me or anything.far from it now as i said just that i never thought about doing things like this till now but i be willing to learn something new even if it takes me bit longer hopefully it wont take longer than usual tho!

So can anyone give me pointers & tips to this course or recommend any books like computer dummies?

5. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Start off with a look at CompTIA's A+ site HERE

Full link : http://www.comptia.org/certification/a/default.aspx

Get a feel for what you need to know for the exam, then decide on what budget you have for materials (ie main text book, additional materials, exams etc)

We'll definitely help you all we can, Slowfade - it's just that until you have a look over the exam requirements, and come back with some more specific questions, we'd spend forever discussing general issues rather than helping you on the road to your first cert :)

6. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

You really have to love to tinker with things and like to break them and fix them to love maintaining computer hardware. I was always intimidated by the thought of opening up a box and putting my hands inside until I took my first technical class. After that, I was hooked. :biggrin

7. strangeupquark

strangeupquark Bit Poster

Well, having just become a member of the forum and having a good browse around the various links, I have decided to restart my IT training with the CompTIA A+ certification.

Now all I need to do is decide who to buy the course from. Or would it be better to read the required material and then just sit the exam seperately?

WIP: A+
  8. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Hey Trip - I don't want to contradict you, but whilst most of what you say is (as usual) accurate, can I just point the above part of what you say...

It's not a pre-requisite to love tinkering about PC innards before starting A+, although it's a distinct advantage. I remember your good self always maintaining that you were terrified about opening up a box when you started - just like me.

Just wanted to make that small point, lest it give one or two beginners the wrong impression. :oops:

9. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

Good point, Gav. I guess I misspoke myself. Yes, it is an advantage but not a pre-requisite. I can say that now that I've gotten my hands inside a box a few times, I really do like it. :)