First technical interview, EPIC FAIL!

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by orangepeeleo, Mar 18, 2010.

1. orangepeeleo

orangepeeleo Nibble Poster

Bit of an update, got a phone call from them today, he opened with the dreaded "got some good news and some bad news for you" which immediately put me on a downer....................... turns out the good news is that they were (somehow) impressed enough to put me foward for another interview, this time in person, and the bad news (really??) is that it is going to be on the 22nd of apr.

This is awesome news for me and turns out to be bloody perfect as my leaving date from the forces is around the 20th at the min, so couldnt be happier :D

The first phone call i ever received from them i was asked what my salary expectations were, i said that i'd be happy between 15-18k for a 1st line job with the lower end of that spectrum dependant on how i viewed my chances of progression within the company, i.e. i'll take 15k but only if there's a bloody good chance that i can work hard and move up, this seems to have worked in my favour b/c there are two positions going and he says they put me forward with a salary of 18k and that i shouldnt be worried about my lack of experience in software/networking stuff b/c they have about 50 guys working in 4 different teams there (helpdesk, field technicians, server, networking) and i shouldnt worry about being up against an experienced server dude b/c theres every chance they'll take us both on and just put us into different teams according to exp, what i'm trying to say is that out of the 6 people applying i could be the only one willing/being paid the right salary to do the helpdesk job.

So very happy atm, he said that it's only a 6 month fixed term contract but hopefully i can impress enough to stay on, if not i have 6 months of civvie IT exp behind me and a chance to get in with the networking guys while i'm doing my N+

Certifications: A+
    WIP: N+
  2. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

Nice, now just make sure that even wiht the 18k, you still work hard as nails to advance so that you remain in their minds as a tough cookie ;)

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM
  3. dpbarry

dpbarry Bit Poster

Don't let it get to you. Mark it down as experience. As most IT guys will tell you, sometimes the obvious can be staring you in the face but you can't see the wood for the trees. Its like any job. You will learn as you go along to not dismiss the obvious but bear in mind, you won't or can't be expected to know everything.

I'm 20 years in the job and I aways wondered how windows allocated the generic IP address even though it wasn't connected to a DHCP server. Today I learned about APIPA!! :ohmy

Declan

Certifications: None at present
    WIP: None at present
  4. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

...and in a business domain environment, what would you suggest if this has been locked down so the user is unable to do this?

5. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I would restart :p

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Excuse me? :dry

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I don't get why you are asking this?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  8. Unemployed Diogenes

Unemployed Diogenes Nibble Poster

1 0000000 = 128 = class a
    11 000000 = 192 = class b
    111 00000 = 224 = class c

since i realize this i remember allways :-))

Certifications: A+, Bachelor IT
    WIP: CCNA
  9. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

Because you need elevated rights to do an ipconfig /renew and not everyone will allow that via gpo (our users can't do it).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  10. albertc30

albertc30 Kilobyte Poster

Hello mate and everybody.
    Just like allot of us have said here, don't you let that one interview knock you down.
    I know it can have that affect, not that I have been there myself, but hey, pick yourself up and move on, get it together.
    A note on the bright side, at least you got an interview. I have been looking for a starter job on the IT industry for the past 9 months, have applied for about 30 if not more jobs with not even one interview. And to had to this, I have been doing jobs here and there, also been self-employed a while back and still no joy.
    But you know what? Every week I look at the newspapers and fill in job form after job form.
    If you want it, you'll find it.
    The best of luck.
    Albert

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: 220-701 - A+
  11. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Danny,

Does that help?

12. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

it's not that i don't undersatsnd...its whether he thinks i don't know to restart or whether he genuinely wants to know the answer..

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  13. DC Pr0Mo

DC Pr0Mo Kilobyte Poster

If you work in IT support, you're surley not going to have to restart a machine to get a IP address. Unless thats the norm (network config) restriction wise.

Certifications: MCDST | BSc Network Computing | 365 Fundamentals
  14. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

It's the first and most usually the last thing I say to people :p:p

Last edited: Mar 20, 2010
    Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)