First Steps Towards Certification

Discussion in 'A+' started by Feellex, Apr 13, 2007.

1. Feellex

Feellex Bit Poster

Yesterday I took my first tentative steps towards A+ Certification. I went out and bought the All-in-One Study Guide by Mike Meyers. I have only read the first chapter so far but I already have a better understanding of what the A+ Cert is? What it entails and there is a useful guide to estimating how many hours of study will be required.
    There is one thing I'm not sure about. Perhaps some of you guys can share your views about this.....Mr Meyers boldly suggests that I book the A+ Cert exams now! Whilst I can see how this would be motivational I personally think I should at least meet half my own obligation in terms of study hours and this should give a better idea of when would be the most appropriate time to take the exam. What do you guys think? Any thoughts?

Thanks again for all the encouragement, support and good advice. It has inspired me towards taking action. 8)

Certifications: None....yet!
    WIP: Still planning
  2. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

I did book my A+ exam a while back for 5th May, as it was suggested to help my motivation, which slowly but surely it has, I've been studying hard for the past 2 weeks now.

Keep in mind, that you can generally rearrange your exams for a later date if you feel you are not ready, although try not do to this as it can start a bad cycle of rearranging again and again!

My advice? Book A+ Essentials now (or within the next week or two), for a future date. Aim to be ready for that date, and then just go for it. Worst comes to worst, you rearrange for perhaps a few days later, or even 1/2 weeks later.

:D

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  3. Tinus1959

Tinus1959 Gigabyte Poster

Be sure you have the right book. Remember Comptia is planning to stop with the old A+ exams (A+ core and A+ OS) and going to a other certification track.
    In the new track there are 4 exams. One exam is mandatory (A+ essentials) and depending on what second exam you take you get a different 'title'.
    More info on www.comptia.org

Certifications: See my signature
    WIP: MCSD, MCAD, CCNA, CCNP
  4. Feellex

Feellex Bit Poster

No worries there. I have the latest edition of the book which mentions the changes to the exam structure as mentioned. It is mow necessary to choose between three optional exams onces you have decided which route you want to take. I.e the "Primary" route AKA IT Technician, the other two routes are Help Desk Technician and Depot Technician. Mike Meyers recommends taking the primary track unless your employer specifically wants you to take one of the others...
    Thanks for your input. Much appreciated.

5. leeroy2612

leeroy2612 Byte Poster

cheers for the link tinus, interesting i didnt no anything about that

Certifications: ecdl 1,2
    WIP: A+, mcse
  6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

When you book your exams is up to your own personal preference. I book my exams a day or two in advance, and only when I think I'm ready to take them. Others like to book them far in advance, and shoot for that date.

As far as how long it will take, it's different for every individual. I didn't require any studying before taking it, but I had been in IT for several years before I got my A+. It takes other people months (or years!) to complete. So I'd be shooting in the dark if I were to try to guess how long it would take you.

Personally, I'd advise that you not set a clock on yourself, and just take it when you're ready. After all, it's not a race! :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm with BosonMichael on this one - I just sat the A+ OS exam on Wednesday and had booked it just 9 days earlier - I felt more comfortable booking the exam once I was confident that I knew the material.

As for length of time, I took 9 months from buying Mike Meyers until taking the OS, and hopefully only 4/6 weeks until I take the hardware - life gets in the way, I moved house, got a new job and started living with my girlfriend - neither 3 are easy things to do!!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

I think the idea behind booking in advance is to keep you focused on studying - a goal to work towards. Don't forget you can reschedule your exams with 24 hours notice (PearsonVue).

Good luck.

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I understand that, but life happens, and sometimes you just can't study in time. Or else, you get done quicker than normal. In any case, it's highly beneficial to self-motivate yourself - you shouldn't need to circle a date on a calendar... all you should need to do is think of the benefits to your career to get you motivated.

But maybe that's just me. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. Feellex

Feellex Bit Poster

Thank you all for your replies. I have decided to hold off booking the actual exam for now but I have set a target date of early June 07. Thanks again for all your advice. Even if I don't always agree with all the different views I am grateful for everybodys input!