First postings

Discussion in 'New Members Introduction' started by fgaughan, Jan 19, 2005.

1. fgaughan

fgaughan Bit Poster

Hello all
    Came across this forum in Google
    Started doing CCNA 2 week ago Hull college which hard going at first but tutor said yes it looks a lot to take in at first but it gets a little easier once you know the basics
    Nice to know there is this forum to talk to others who are doing this course.

A bit about me i am hard of hearing fed up being stuck in dead end jobs (unemployed now)
    I find it hard to get in I.T jobs Done my A+ (city and guilds system suport) in York college but still no I.T jobs I get the interview but soon as they find I cant use the telephone I dont get the job.
    I want to be a second or third user support so id like to bypass the telephone help support jobs but they all say well everyone has to start at the bottom that means telephone support!!! I GIVE UP
    So by starting CCNA course hopfully I wont be the telephone support

Nearest I got in job was making computer tables Yes computer tables at a factory I did take it as I needed the money save up for a car to get to my courses
    but soon left when the wouldnt give me some time of for my CCNA

anyway enough moaning i do enjoy learning but getting a job would be a bonus :-)

Fintan

WIP: CCNA
  2. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Hi Fintan and a big welcome to you :biggrin

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings, fgaughan. Welcome to CertForums. Glad you found the place. First of all, let me wish you luck on your CCNA. I found it to be challenging, but also a terrific way to learn networking.

I am surprised that the places you interviewed at so boldly rejected you because of your hearing loss. I'm in the U.S. and, at least in theory, companies here cannot discriminate in their hiring practices based on a person's disability and must attempt to make "reasonable accomodations" for that person.

Unfortunately, a lot of tech jobs involve phone use. When I was first starting out (not that long ago), most of my work was as a contract tech doing hardware and OS installs, ethernet rollouts and the like.

I did one job over a period of months where I upgraded the Cisco Catalyst Switches for different branches of a bank in my community. In this particular job, after I did my install, I had to phone the NOC (Network Operations Center) and ask them to test the connections. I also had to participate in a bridged phone conference with the telco take down and bring up the ATM machines at the bank. If I had been unable to use the phone, I wouldn't have been able to communicate.

Having said all that, there are plenty of jobs you would be qualified for and not have to make use of a phone. I had a job at HP last year supporting a usability lab. Basically, I was responsible for the configuration of the hardware and software in the testing labs (there were actually two), was required to be there when testing and immediately repair any malfunctions, and when we weren't testing, I would do research on any equipment that we might want to purchase to improve our testing abilities.

That was a rare opportunitity (and only half time...which is one of the reasons I moved on) but you have to keep plugging away. A CCNA is not a guarentee that you will be put into a job that will not require some phone work...especially if you are a roving troubleshooter. Also, experience is really the key to getting a good job. A brand new CCNA with no experience is unlikely to be immeidately hired to start configuring a company's routers and switches.

Let us know how you get on and please feel free to ask any questions you might have. Also, I hope that none of what I said seems out of line to you. My desire is to give you an idea of what you might be facing in your career. Believe me...I had to learn the hard way.

Cheers and Welcome. :)

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. punkboy101
    Honorary Member

punkboy101 Back from the wilderness

Hi there, and welcome :!: As Trip said, the CCNA is challenging, but I found it really enjoyable. Good luck with that, and feel free to ask anything you like. :D

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: Nada
  5. fgaughan

fgaughan Bit Poster

Thank you for your quick reply and others for encouragement :-)
    same as for UK company's cannot discriminate but at interview stage its differcult to prove that i was discriminate

I just know there are jobs that don't require telephone use but
    there are ways round it like messenger email sms text and typetalk at no cost to the company

But i keep on getting my head down study and keep applying for jobs
    i apply on average 4 a week

Fintan

6. Jakamoko
    Honorary Member

Jakamoko On the move again ...

Hi Fintan, and welcome to CF from me too. [​IMG]

At the risk of getting into trouble from myself, that is a REAL shitter !! I see the point you make - basically your caught over a barrel, ie clearly there is discrimination taking place, but its OK, because you can't prove it...man, I can understand you frustration. Like you say, this is IT we're talking about here, FFS !!!!!! There are multiple ways to communicate, again, as you say. Good grief, IM is a signicant part of my day job...one of the most expressive non-verbal ways of instant communication.

Grrrr, sorry - that just really winds me up to hear that happen to you - sorry for the rant !!!!

Asides from that, your determination to succeed is bright for all to see- I know the Guys will to a person wish the very best in your studies, and bring on the day when you an shove 2 fingers up to those who've interviewed you in the past - you WILL get that job [​IMG]

Certifications: MCP, A+, Network+
    WIP: Clarity
  7. fgaughan

fgaughan Bit Poster

Oh yes i hope that day comes and you know what this forum will be the first to know :-)

One good thing is i have a wonderfull partner and 2 kids
    she suceded in getting a job that she wanted after years of studying to be a school teacher
    like this forum she says dont give up hope keep trying

Fintan

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Agreed. I think we all have stories of how it was tough to get that first big break into the business, myself included. As they say in "Galaxy Quest": "Never give up...never surrender".

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Welcome to the forum. Have faith and never give up.[​IMG]

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  10. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

A warm welcome to Certforums :)

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  11. fgaughan

fgaughan Bit Poster

Hi some of you remember me

A year later and job situation still sucks.
    I work for a company and all I do is print off CAD drawings and pdf's

Yes thats it
    No scope for learning there

12. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Welcome back mate.

Never give up, one of the most impressive things I have ever seen in my life was watching a blind guy use a Braille keyboard with no monitor to program a computer. And I mean program, not use, he was writing code.

How cool is that?

Keep on trying and you will get what you want in the end.

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  13. fgaughan

fgaughan Bit Poster

And I am back again!

Did i get an IT job... I will let you all guess this one.

14. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

hi all,
    i am studying MCSE with @dvent computer training and ive been doing it for about a year now. IM still on the CompTiA A+ essentials book though because i cant get down to kidderminster just yet, and being from Liverpool, thats a loooong way away!!

Just thought id start chatting to some other students on the same course as me and see if i can get myself motivated again :box2

has anyone else got any problems with their course? maybe if we all talk about where we are on our course or discuss any problems, we can all help each other.

WIP: CompTIA A+ (220-701 & 220-702)
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Wow. What are you guys paying the instructors for? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

hahaha, i honestly dont have a clue :dry

but its good to talk about the course with people who are in the same boat as you i suppose!

17. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's what this forum is for! You didn't have to spend a bucketload of money just for that! :)

Just sayin'. :) Use those instructors as much as you can - after all, you paid for them!! And when they can't help you... we'll fix you up. ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  18. steevyp

steevyp Bit Poster

:thumbleft

19. withnail

withnail New Member

Hey, I used to work with a networking guy who was partially deaf/hard of hearing.

His job wasn't customer facing so he didn't need to do any work on the phone.

The only slight obstacle was if you wanted to get his attention to ask him something and you were a few desks away, this was resolved by either instant messaging him or as he sat next to the wall throwing a ball that was in his line of site and bounced off the wall. :D

Certifications: ACSP, ACTC
    WIP: MCP, ACSA