First IT job - how long to stay for in the job before progressing?

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jb87, Nov 6, 2012.

1. jb87

jb87 Bit Poster

I am in my first IT job, and looking to progress my career.

I have been in the job for 2 years. How many more years should I stay, before progressing onto another job? I don't want my next employer to think I'm a 'job hopper'.

2. Monkeychops

Monkeychops Kilobyte Poster

No fixed time, I'd say you start looking to move when you feel you are ready, when you've got all you think you can out of your current role or you're offered something better.

As the years go on the notion of changing jobs more frequently looking bad on someone seems to lessen, especially if there are obvious valid reasons as to the change.

Moving on after 2 years would not be seen as job hopping at all.

3. jvanassen

jvanassen Kilobyte Poster

Agreed i would definetly say if you feel its time to move on then do so, 2 years is fine.

Certifications: CompTIA A+, Network+, CCENT
    WIP: ICND2 200-101
  4. nXPLOSi

nXPLOSi Terabyte Poster

Yeah, I think if you had 2 or 3 jobs in two years it would be seen as job hopping, but staying at a place for 2 years and then moving on wouldn't be a problem!

Certifications: A+, Network+, Security+, MCSA 2003 (270, 290, 291), MCTS (640, 642), MCSA 2008
    WIP: MCSA 2012
  5. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I left my first job after 18 months, and my second job after 3 years.

I think the real answer is though would be when you think you have got everything out of the job you can, and don't see a next step within the company (or don't want the next step to be within the company). No point staying past this point as you will end up de-motivated which isn't good for you or your current employer. As long as you explain good reasons for leaving in future interviews i don't see it holding you back.

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP