First few weeks at work advice needed.

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Len, Jun 9, 2010.

1. Len

Len Byte Poster

Err wait.. Sorry.. This isn't an IT job, this is something completly different. The "IT" side forms very little of my actual "work"

Last edited: Jun 9, 2010
    Certifications: BND IT Practitioners
    WIP: Comptia A+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I wouldn't go as far as to say you "can't be bothered". However, losing interest with an entertaining book by Meyers doesn't bode well for the future, when you have to study the extreeeemely dry books created by many authors covering extreeeemely dry subject matter. :blink

That said, not being able to study for more than an hour at a time isn't horrible. Just take a break, refresh your mind, and then get back to it. You don't have to study for 8 hours straight, mate.

Maybe the problem is that you already know the subject matter. If you believe that's the case, try some practice exams and see how you do. If you score well, go take the exam. If you don't, then you need to buckle down and study, despite being lured away by online games. We *all* have temptations and distractions that we have to deal with. The key is to take control of ourselves and NOT act on our impulses even when we want to.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I found the Groth book very dry as opposed to the Meyers book for the Network + thats why I using the new Meyers book for doing the Network + 2009 that my boss wants me to do plus the prof messer videos.

prof messer also does the A+ len, I havent seen his A+ videos but they are supposed to good and they are free.

when I am reading a book for study I only do 2-3 20 minute sessions a day, with the Meyers book for the N+ that is actually about 2 chapters a day since they have taken out alot of the old technologies like CAT2 and appletalk and stuff like that so the book is a lot smaller just a shame the pass mark is higher.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  4. Len

Len Byte Poster

Well I'd like to thank you for providing some constructive feedback and giving advice and not being so damn right harsh(well it seems that way), whereas others have just sniped at me.

Well, Since the others think i'm so hopeless, I think I'll just go take my own life or something(its a shame my mother didn't finish me off when she had the chance), since i'm obviously not perfect. And ofc, they are definitely perfect human beings :rolleyes:

Last edited: Jun 10, 2010
  5. greenbrucelee

I havent been nasty I provided you with something to think about, and maybe another way you could study (messer videos, shorter time periods like I do).

Maybe you need to chill out for a while and think about what you want to do and where you want to be.

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Others were being harsh enough - I didn't see the need to pile on.

That said, there is some truth to their words... you do need to man up and just drive through the challenges and obstacles in front of you... some of which don't even exist yet other than in your head.

I don't pretend to speak for the people who were being harsh... but if I had to guess at the motive behind their words, it would be because they simply want you to take a good, long, hard look at whether an IT career is right for you. Many of the things you have been saying are HUGE red flags and danger signs for someone who is trying to get into IT. You're GOING to encounter bosses who don't know jack about IT. You're GOING to have periods of time where you are untasked and need to fill your time constructively. You're GOING to not always have the budget or tools or equipment necessary to do the job the way you feel like it needs to be done. You're GOING to have to be a self-starter and take initiative. You're GOING to have to figure out ways to deal with workplace adversity and problems and struggles. Otherwise, you run the risk of not lasting very long in IT... either you'll get frustrated with it or your employers will get frustrated with you, neither of which is good.

That said, you're young yet, so I don't hold it against you. You're still learning and growing... which is a GOOD thing. If you were 25, 30, 35 with the same attitude and mindset, I'd be giving you a $1 special (see avatar). ;)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Sounds to me that you need to pull your head out of your arse, stop sitting in the corner sulking about why you weren't given the keys to the kingdom on day one and knock the chip off your shoulder (all at the age of 18 too).

All I've seen here is people trying to give you help and ideas about how to fill in your time and you keep throwing up excuses about why it wont work. WTF is up with that?

You mention that you have 1 hour 15 travel time in which to read. It's not going to do you any good when you don't take your book with you because it's too heavy right?

I wish I had your job.

Really.

Here's why.

You have a unique opportunity. Not many of us have had the opportunity to walk into a place and have the chance to make IT "ours". It seems that there's no-one responsible for IT there, then make it yours. Take it. Make it yours even if it's not official.

You have about 8 hours to fill in the day. Read some of your book whether it's the hardcopy or the pdf. Read an hour or so then go do something else. There are plenty of suggestions above, like documenting the physical network, all the pcs serial numbers and conditions (find the oldest ones that need replacing first), system setups, etc. There are a thousand little things that belong to IT that you could do. Then go read some more and repeat the above.

If your supervisor insists on a 5 day booking time then make a booking for a meeting now. While you're at it, make it a recurring meeting every 5 days, in effect once a week. give a report of what you've managed to fix in the last week and make some suggestions of what to do for the next week.

Make a list of everything that's wrong, not working properly, needs to be fixed or can be improved in the place. Make a plan of the time and resources it will take to do it all. Do the research to find what you'll need. You have the time, use it. If they don't have some "official" work for you then use the time to further your own interests (while also the company interests too, they just don't know it yet).

Are there users with little problems that you might be able to fix. Anything to make their life a little easier and trouble free. Clean their screens and keyboards while they're at lunch. Maybe the same for a pc when it's not being used.

Doing this sort of thing can also win you points with the other staff. If you mention that you're looking for a way to upgrade their pc with a new one then they'll be happier. I mean, who doesn't want a new pc? They're never fast enough etc.

One other thing. If you do eventually do some of the things mentioned in this thread and end up with a list of things to fix, replace and improve, don't go to the management with a list of problems without a list of solutions. Preferably 2 solutions for each bigger problem.

In short, stop sitting there moaning and waiting. Be proactive, take the initiative and take the responsibility.

Edit: sorry if it's not what you really want to hear but it's what really needs to be said

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  8. danielno8

danielno8 Gigabyte Poster

I got the impression IT isn't actually anythign to do with his job?

Certifications: CCENT, CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  9. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

Id be more than willing to swap Jobs.
    You can sit at home looking for a full time job picking up £240 in Job Seekers Allowance a month, while I will go to work every day, make that extra effort to make myself busy and get a bloody lot more than £240 a month!!!!

Some people dont know how ******* lucky they are!!

10. kevicho

kevicho Gigabyte Poster

Welcome to the world of work, I feel your age might have something to do with the situation
    What is the role supposed to involve? Is it really what you want to do or is it a job you have taken for the money?

My advice would echo everyone else, to use the spare time to study, whether this be IT related study or not try to fill that time with something that interests you.

Do they have any induction handbooks, or a work intranet? There may be more information on there.

In a job I had at your age In a quiet period I taught myself HTML in a day, a skill which I still use from time to time.

Its good that you are offering to help colleagues, but maybe your age is one reason why they are reluctant to give you work, also and no offense intended if you are thinking the jobs boring, then its likely this will be the attitude you project, try to go into work with a smile.

It would be worth getting together a list of things you think would help improve the situation, remember though you will inevitably lack business and work experience at your age so they may not want to pile too much on too soon, you will to a degree have to prove yourself.

Certifications: A+, Net+, MCSA Server 2003, 2008, Windows XP & 7 , ITIL V3 Foundation
    WIP: CCNA Renewal
  11. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

I can only echo what others have said, I've been in the same job for 4 years and in that time I've had a whole ridiculous amount of 'down time'. I've used it to document things, designed projects for myself which benefit the company and indulged in the wonderful habit of SBWA (Support By Walking About).

You can do the same in whether its IT or non-IT and the best place to start? If you've got a post room, go offer to help, you'd be amazed what you can learn while stuffing envelopes and labelling parcels.

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  12. michael78

michael78 Terabyte Poster

Was posting something else thinking you worked in IT so deleted that post.

I agree with what some people are saying you have a chance of doing something with your time as your only 18. I'm assuming you are interested in IT as your a member here. Use your time to study if you want a career in IT. Not saying your job is great and I feel for you as I walked away from a well paid contract not long ago but you get out what you put in. I have found in the past that some jobs it was more like working with kids than adults but thats life. If you do want a career in IT then you will end up working at some point with some of the most egotistical pricks you will ever meet in life so the people you work with now will be a cakewalk. If your job is crap then use that to motivate yourself as I did recently and think about what you want to do and how to go about it.

If your getting bored doing tha basics of IT then maybe it's not the right career path for you. Personally if I was 18 again I wouldn't of gone into IT for a career so don't make the same mistake I did if it's not right for you.

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP | MCDST | MCTS: Hyper-V | MCTS: AD | MCTS: Exchange 2007 | MCTS: Windows 7 | MCSA: 2003 | ITIL Foundation v3 | CCA: Xenapp 5.0 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Administrator on Windows 7 | MCITP: Enterprise Desktop Support Technician on Windows 7
    WIP: Online SAN Overview, VCP in December 2011
  13. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Hang on - wait just a cotton-picking minute here...

Len - weren't you the dude who moaned on here a few months back about not being able to find a job because of all the Indians coming here and taking them all?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  14. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Ahhh, so it is....

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  15. Jiser

Jiser Kilobyte Poster

Lol!

Len your 18 - that probably has half the fact to do it! Project the right image as well. Don't go in miserable and get more depressed every day. Master the art of finding things to do or looking busy. Ive been there got the t-shirt. I am in my 5th "I.T." job now (although not strictly I.T. based) looking after the project management system for part of a large corporate bank as well as doing other reports etc I am doing an internship again. Now although some of its boring you can't expect things to drop at your feet straight away - I don't! You just gotta plug on through the days.

Arrange a meeting with someone senior if nothing changes - do this in a professional manor. Surely they interviewed you and took you on for a reason? What was the job they employed you to do? Do you have any career ambitions?

If all else fails look around for a new job. Ask family/relatives etc.

My first step into my first proper I.T. job was during third year of Uni doing an 'internship'. Worked in a manufacturing company doing I.T. Support and other minor spreadsheet tasks. TBH with you most of the time I had sweet FA to do. I tried to learn but it didn't happen. Anyway point is I got my foundation knowledge of the real world there and I.T. (Working weekends at a car show room / tesco didn't quite do it).

Once you get your foot in the door your sorted. Try and make this job a successful one for you. You say trainee project manager? What projects do they run? WHos running them etc. Try to learn the technology you should you be using on the systems or what the senior guys use. Work towards I.T. Certs at home to get your working knowledge up to date - if that's what you want.

Certifications: BSc (Hons), PGc, MCTS:Win 7, MCSA W7/MCITP EDST, ITIL Foundation, Prince 2 Foundation, C&G: Web Design, MOS 07: Excel, Word, Powerpoint, Outlook.
  16. Jaron78

Jaron78 Gigabyte Poster Forum Leader

In that case, I have no time for this thread lol

17. Len

Len Byte Poster

I'm trying to find myself things to do - but considering they are a very very small company(about 8-10 other staff) its not looking good.

I'm hoping everything changes when the manager comes back, whether or not its because the manager hasnt come back yet is the reason WHY they havent been able to sort things out for me in another question - unless they're trying to ease me into a heavy workload, I don't know.. but whatever it is, I havent been told :dry

They only run on-going 1 project at the moment(and when its running, I take part because theres nothing else to do), and I know who runs this, that and the other. Some of my "time" was spent just getting to know the company better by going through past projects(reports, evaluation, turnouts, was it a success or not and what they have done, but that doesn't take a whole lot of time up as they seemed to only have a few going on each year) :(

[​IMG]

No, seriously.. What? I'm not complaining about HAVING A JOB, I'm moaning about not having enough work to fill(no, not every single minute, but atleast give have work there for me so it takes up the majority of my day, or theres no point in being there!) When I was given the impression I would!

If thats what you wasnt getting at then please explain..

18. Smiff

Smiff New Member

My first post so apologies if I make mistakes, I will post in the new members forum but this post caught my attention.

If you didn't understand the task, why didn't you ask them to explain it?

This is silly, perhaps ask for an informal chat over a coffee at a break?

You are "new", people will talk about you.

In any job, there will be a period of bedding in. There will be a initial period of not having alot to do but YOU have to make the job your own. No one should expect you to know exactly what to do from day one. Get to know your colleagues, ask questions about the business etc.

Also use your travel time constructively. Think about it. I travel 40 minutes each way per by train to my job plus a walk. I use this time to study freeing up time for me to do family/fun stuff. It's all attitude, you can choose to feel down about this situation or be proactive about it. I would suggest talking to your colleagues and getting used to the culture of the company and perhaps a chat with your supervisor as they are not a mind reader and might not be picking up on how you are feeling.

Certifications: HNC Computing
    WIP: A+
  19. greenbrucelee

Well said smiff and rep points to you for your good advice.

20. Len

Len Byte Poster

Oh, I did, but she went straight into a meeting(she seemed to be in a hurry) So I just got on with it and had someone check it (turned out I had done it correctly, but it doesn't hurt to make sure)

Like I said, I have tried, but all she keeps saying is "we'll have to book a meeting"

Thank you for answering this question.

Done it, having access to the shared drive helped me(but didn't fill up much time). And I get on with my colleagues great(i think)! Its just a shame not so well with my supervisor.

Which I have done, but I'm careful not to take their attention for too long so they can get on with the work they were doing.

On another note, I finally managed to get a moment of my supervisor time today! It started with her apologising (wasn't expecting it) and we both had a long long discussion about alot of things! Things seem to be sorted now..

Thank you for your comments peoples. Those whos were constructive anyways..

Last edited: Jun 11, 2010