First dumb User call...

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by Fanatical, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

Ok got my first blitheringly obvious call today. User had opened up a power point presentation she'd be sent in an email, the first slide of whoch was just plain white. In her horror she immeditaly exited her Citrix session and re-logged on only to find the PP still running and showing a blank screen.

How she never managed to click on the white bit fo screen to get the presentation moving I don't but she phoned up going on and on about her "blank screen". First click off my mouse on the end show icong and her desktop materialises.

"How did you do that?!?!?"

"It's a powerpoint presentation, did you open it?"

"yes"

"........... right, so if you just click your mouse the screen will move on and you can view all the slides. I suspect it will be highly amusing"

"Great, thank you so much"

Or this one earlier

"Hello, I can't log into my citirx session"

"Ok, lets see whats going on. ok so it's asking you to enter your username and password. Have you tried doing that?"

"yes, but it won't log me in"

"Your entering your windows log on?"

"Yes, but I changed it about a week ago and I can't remember now"

".... you can't remember the password you used to log in? Your in windows now though, what password did you use to log in with?"

"My normal one, but like i said i changed it and can't remember"

"You forgot it since you've logged in?!:blink "

"No, i just don't remember what it used to be."

" :rolleyes: ..........Could you enter the password you changed it to for me please."

"Oh good, it's working now! thanks!!"

I have no idea what she had been typing in before had it but it wasn't her password! I know things are bpretty automatic but surely you'd at least try your on password first before calling the helpdesk!

what were your first bang your head on the wall calls?

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA
  2. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Fanatical, remember the confidential details you signed before getting the job. Welcome to the wonderful world of IT support and end users. You've got to love it as it pays the bills:biggrin

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

You got to have a lot of patients dealing with customers/employees. Especially if its a help desk job where you have walk the person through ever little step.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

Fanatical was this the same user in both situations? :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  5. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

A user called up as her account had been locked out and i needed to reset and unlock her account, this was some time ago and she started complain that she could not remember a password that was 14 characters long (the min requirement), advised her to use a pass phrase or add a number to the end of any other passwords that she may of used... she started to complain about the password complexity and then critised about the need of password lenght. according to her, and bearing in mind and i quote "that she has been using a pc both at home and at work for over 20 years now" that a password of 5 characters is sufficent!

she is adamant that XP is a waste of time, having servers are a complete waste of space and money and having a hard drive of 80gb is too much....

She admitted that she is not an "IT bod" but knows more about computers than me. All i was doing is "trying" to provide a service which was a "waste of time, money and resources" and if it was down to her, they would not need IT services (as in support) as they are able to use Word which is all that is required...

But on the positive side of this, and this is the only positive thing that she mentioned was the fact that i was a good listener and should consider a career in Therapy of some sort... Dunno whether i should take that as a compliment or an insult! LOL

But strangly enough, she had made my day by talking complete and utter bollocks!

6. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

Hmmm, i had someone call up last week because they could'nt get the internet to work. I asked them to check their hub status and all their lights were turned off, so i told them that it mustnt be plugged in and asked them to do that for me. The customer told me that she couldnt turn it on through fear of electrecution!!!:eek:

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  7. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

ROFL!!! Had she turned it off through fear of working? :rolleyes:

The worst one I've had, was when we replaced a load of machines in one of our offices (we support 5). One woman went off to training, came back to her desk, sat down. I thought all was dandy, until she hollered me five minutes later, adamant I'd basically deleted everything (I had done a data transfer from her old machine so I hadn't)

Basically, she'd accidentally set her Start bar to 'auto hide'. Because she didn't think of moving her mouse in that vague direction of the screen, she'd accused me of deleting it and breaking her PC. lol. Gotta love 'em. :dry :biggrin

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  8. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

Honestly guys, someone should write a book about this stuff, Its bloody hilarious. I could sit here all day and read these stories. :) :D :biggrin

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  9. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Remember guys and gals, that's why we're in IT support and hence the need for us IT bods:D just hope am not smelling complaints or maybe IT is not for everyone. We got to love user's obviously for their blatant ignorance and yes it can be annoying.

However, I.T still very much interest me regardless of all the above and would not change careers for anything else. Huh! geeky:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
  10. Fluid

Fluid Byte Poster

I dont know how you speak to these idiots i would have put the phone down by now!

11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I have to agree with that - no matter how stupid some of the users are, I still get satisfaction out of helping them out - problems with word all the way up to a failed file store and print server... I'm definitely a geek - and proud of it :biggrin

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293
  12. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Maybe IT support is not for you then, and sure your manager would hand you your P45 as well with what's with the hanging the phone on an end user:(

13. Arroryn

Arroryn we're all dooooooomed Moderator

Depends how you look at it, really.

I'm paid to know about the IT stuff. That's why I'm in IT.

The people I support are paid to be poo-hot lawyers and support personnel - I couldn't do what they do. If one of the lawyers tried to talk to me about litigation, I'd be just as clueless as they would, if I tried to talk to them about Active Directory.

Intelligence is relative to the field you're in. And helpdesk support just isn't for everyone :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, 70-410, 70-411
    WIP: Modern Languages BA
  14. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

stuPeas,

Have fun with http://www.rinkworks.com/stupid/ :)

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  15. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Holy crap, a 14-character minimum? I must agree with the user, that's a bit extreme. Studies have shown that the longer you require the passwords to be, and the more often you make users change their passwords, the more likely they are to write them down and stick them on their monitor, under their keyboard, under their mousepad, in their top desk drawer, etc. Might as well not have passwords at all, if they're just going to write them down in an easily accessible location.

JND
    P-Synch
    Book Excerpt: Hardening Windows Systems
    SecLists
    Candela Solutions: The Case for Weak Passwords
    Processor.com article
    ...and straight from Microsoft:
    Yes, I agree that you should strive for an 8-character minimum with complex passwords (at least three character types from among uppercase, lowercase, number, symbol). But requiring 15 characters is just asking for trouble. A balance must be established.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  16. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Then head over to www.techcomedy.com. :biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  17. Fanatical

Fanatical Byte Poster

what? Where did I mention any users name or detail? Remeber to bring your sense of humour to a thread with a big smilie next to it.....:rolleyes:

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: MCITP: SA