First and Last subnet N+ / Cisco

Discussion in 'Network+' started by bazzawood30, Aug 25, 2010.

1. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I have my CCNA and i am doing N+ to pad out my cv and i like the fact its cert for life if i pass by the end of the year. I am reading Mike Myers ALL IN ONE N+ book and i found some conflicting information on subnetting. Mike is saying you can not use the first of last subnet, Cisco however would say they are usable. I know it used to be the case that the first and last subnets were unsable with Cisco but is now changed. I have used the first and last subnets so i know it can work. So in the N+ exam how should i answer a question ie are the first and last subnets usable or not?

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I have yet to encounter a scenario (from CompTIA or Cisco) where you would be forced to blindly choose one way versus another. Based on the choices provided, you should be able to figure out which way you should answer - meaning, you won't be forced to choose between a "first/last subnet" answer and an "in-between subnet" answer.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

Cheers, I did not want to be in the exam thinking should i make 4 subnets to get 2 usable., when i know i could just creat 2 that would work fine.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  4. chuckles

chuckles Kilobyte Poster

Mike's answer is a good one. I just the N+ this month and I remember very little that actually required subnetting and certainly nothing as sneaky as having to make the can I use the first and last or not.

Certifications: '07/'09 A+, N+, S+
    WIP: maybe something Apple