FireFox -> IE -> FireFox Bookmarks

Discussion in 'Software' started by Mr.Cheeks, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I want to export all of my bookmarks from FF on my to IE on my PC, then import them to FF on my PC and Pen, so it's all up to date...

Its all a mess...

I found my bookmark link in the dir but its a html page, would there be an easier way than copy and pasting the data across?

2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Yeps

Use the Import/Export function on the menus of IE and Firefox - just point them at the .htm file that represents your favourites. Not sure where these will be stored on your box, on Firefox the default location is your profile folder, god knows where it is for IE - I haven't used it for years

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

Bloofy hell - never noticed the import feature in IE.. :oops: I always thought they never had one... :rolleyes:

Cheers Zeb!

4. Lord Deckard

Lord Deckard Byte Poster

Just as an aside, I personally recommend exporting and backing up your Firefox favourites every now and again. Might just be me, but everytime something happens with Windows having one of it's infamous *Moments* with me, 3 guesses which file always disappears? Yep, my Firefox favourites.

Certifications: A+, MCDST
    WIP: N+ and CCNA
  5. Stoney

Stoney Megabyte Poster

Aswell as your bookmarks, you can also move all, or parts of your user profile. This can be quite handy because it includes all your saved passwords and logon info for various sites. It can be a right pain in the rectal cavity to have to enter all the necessary info again!

Certifications: 25 + 50 metre front crawl
    WIP: MCSA - Exam 70-270
  6. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Just for you guys using Firefox. I have tons of bookmarks, and I have 4 machines at home and 3 at work. I am a web developer by trade so I have aquired hundreds of bookmarks. To make everything easier I signed up for an account at http://www.bookkit.com. I then downloaded the Bookmarks Synchronizer extension for firefox. Once you fill in your bookit details in the extension, you can sync your bookmarks to bookit. The beautiful thing is, you can get the extension to sync your bookmarks everytime you open or close firefox. This means that my bookmarks remain synced across all of the 7 machines I use.

Also as a bonus, if I am away on holiday, at a friends or in an internet cafe I can log into bookkit and access all my bookmarks from a web interface. VERY handy!

Grab the extension at https://addons.mozilla.org/firefox/14/

Hope this helps some of you, perhaps slightly off topic, but still relevant
    :P

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  7. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

Just checked, the bookkit web interface seems to be down at the moment, but you can still specify your own ftp details to save the xml file to yuor own server. follow the instructions on the firefox extension page I linked above.

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert