Firefox 1.5 on Debian-based machines

Discussion in 'Linux / Unix Discussion' started by ffreeloader, Dec 19, 2005.

1. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

If you have installed Firefox 1.5 and have lost the ability to use java and flashplayer here's how to fix the problem.

The flashplayer problem is caused by having OJB-TABS enabled in the Adblock extension. Disable it and flashplayer will work once more.

If you can't get java to work it's a little more difficult, but not much. Depending on how you installed java on your machine the location of libjavaplugin_oji.so will vary so find it using "locate libjavaplugin_oji.so". Then open up a bash prompt and enter the following command: "cd .mozilla/plugins". That will take you to the directory that holds the Mozilla browser plugins: both for Mozilla and Firefox. Now all you need to do is create a symbolic link from this current directory to where the "locate" command found the libjavaplugin_oji.so file. That is done with the following command: ln -s /path/to/libjavaplugin_oji.so libjavaplugin_oji.so . (That's a small case L not an uppercase i in the ln command.)

It's as easy as all that. So, when you get Firefox 1.5 installed and find out that flashplayer and java have quit working you'll know how to fix the problem.

I have to say, Firefox 1.5 is pretty slick. I really like it.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1
  2. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Fred,

Thanks for that, if i have a problem when i install it i know what to do :thumbleft

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  3. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

My debian apt repository is still telling me that 1.0.4 is the lastest version available. :oops:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  4. ffreeloader

ffreeloader Terabyte Poster

Yeah. Using apt-pinning like I am I can pick and choose what versions of software I want to run. Firefox 1.5 was released yesterday or the day before into sid so I installed it using apt-pinning. Then I had to figure out why flash and java weren't working as 1.5 installs a little differently than 1.0x versions did.

Certifications: MCSE, MCDBA, CCNA, A+
    WIP: LPIC 1