finished reading meyer's 6th edition.

Discussion in 'A+' started by fish79, Feb 29, 2008.

1. fish79

fish79 New Member

Hi,

I have no professional expierence as an IT Technician, but I have built A few P.C's myself. I usually was the first person they caled when a P.C breaks down in the office although it's not my job I volunteer because I love troubleshooting and helping people. Now I would like to change career and I would like to have A+ certification.

Just finished reading the meyer's 6th edition book as most of you have been recommending and failed first essential practice test with 78%, pass was 80%:blink. Which is not bad for the first time though.

I am also waiting for street smarts book to arrive. In the meantime what can I do exactly, shall I read the book from cover to cover the second time, take notes, more practice exams. Any suggestions?

Thanks for your help, this forum has helped me ,meyer's book is an easy read I like it.

2. trybar

trybar Nibble Poster

Yes, in wait time for new book, read current one again from A to Z...

Play with your PC, change settings for everything again and again to memorise placement of options, their names, as you already know sometimes questions are built in way to confuse you - one word written different and you sitting wondering whether it was in Administrative tools or directly in Control Panel..

Certifications: A+ MOS MCP MCDST MCTS MCITP:EST MCSA MCS
    WIP: MCITP Server 2008
  3. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Bad luck on the fail. However - you should have got a sheet from the testing centre which gives (rather vague) statements about your weak areas. This should help you to concentrate on those.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  4. hbroomhall

Oh - and welcome to CF!

Harry.

5. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

Welcome!

If you don't understand something you have to go over it again until you do. If you look at your exam score details it will probably list your different scores in different categories. Look in which category you didn't do so well in and go over it again until you understand. Keep in mind that doing the same test over and over again won't give you an accurate score level of what you know. Try to do different exams if possible.

You could use Transcender, Preplogic, etc as practice exams.

Good luck.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  6. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

remember with the practice tests on the CD are only 50 questions the exam has a 100 so if your getting 78% with a little more study you'll nail the real exam.

I have done the practice exams on the disk & also used transcender and preplogic practice exams the pass mark is lower and more in tune with the real exam on the transcender ones as those exams have the correct number of questions. I did two transcenders the other day and got 77% and 85% which is a pass for both.

Basically you need 655 as minimum for the essentials and 700 as a minimum for any of the other elective exams. 100 questions for essentials and 90 for any of the others so its about 75% and 80% to pass.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  7. hbroomhall

I've just realized that I misread the first post. Sorry about that!

GBL is right with his assesment here.

Harry.

8. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Greetings. Like most exams, you can usually tell which areas you answered well and which ones you struggled with. That should be your clue as to what you need to focus more on in your studies. Like most people, your knowledge and experience in working with PCs is strong in some areas but as an "informal" tech, you may not have gained experience in domains that you need to know for the essentials exam.

I wrote the PC Technician Street Smarts book and I can tell you that it's a "year in the life" of an PC/Desktop technician book (actually, three months or so, since it's based mostly on my three month tenure in a small city's IT department). It may give you practical experience that you haven't had before. Some of the lab tasks may be a piece of cake to you (and remember, this is a beginner's lab book), but hopefully, there'll be tasks in the book that will help you hone your skills.

Good luck on your retake. :)

-Trip

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  9. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Welcome! With 78% on your first try, you're probably just about ready! If you want to be sure, buy a high-quality practice exam from a trusted practice test provider.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  10. sunn

sunn Gigabyte Poster

Good Advice has already been given above.
    Welcome to the forum & good luck on your next attempt. :sunny

11. fish79

fish79 New Member

Hi,

Thank you for all your kind advice.

I'll have another read through Meyer's book and take notes of a few concepts and technical details I need to memorize more thoroughly. I agree, I should get more practice exams as Meyer's CD has only a few Exams. Can I download these exams legally or do I need to order a CD- ROM, are they worth the money?

12. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

you can download or get cd-roms the best ones are transcender & preplogic, best practice is to download the demos of each and see which you like best before purchasing.

Beware of braindumps (illegal software) if you are not sure of a product use http://www.certguard.com/search.asp and enter the name of the website and it will tell you if the product/company is legit or not.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?