Finish Degree + Masters Vs Professonal Certs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by mark audio, Jul 8, 2009.

1. mark audio

mark audio Bit Poster

i think it's time i start studying again over the next few months, but i can't decide which route to take...

Background..
    I went to uni in 2002 and left 2004 after i failed my 2nd year by 2 modules , of a BSc/HND Computing pathway degree, there were lots of reasons, mostly DJing/Raving far too much! then got a job in IT support, i moved around a few places never really got my head down as i was happy to earn just enough to have a laugh, then in 2007 i'd had enough of helpdesk and started to look to move up, so i did my a+ and MCP XP, as i knew that stuff inside out, then an internal role came available for a report developer on a project... i've always liked dev but not looked at it before as i had a bit of a confidence issue with it because Java was one of the modules i failed @ uni..
    I got the job worked my arse off and now I'm coming up to finishing my first year in the job under the new title Report & Development analyst, as i've mostly been doing app dev, i'm learning plenty and improving everyday, and i'm over all the distractions i used to have and feel quite left behind knowledge/career wise...
    So, now i can't decide which path is best for me, I want to be a full developer then eventually look at project management, i've looked at open university and i can apply to have my 1st year and what i passed of my second year @ uni accredited so i can finally finish my degree, then look at doing a masters, i can afford it but it will take a long time..
    The other option is to crack on with the .net/sql server MCTS then PRINCE II or similar down the line..
    Which route do you think is most beneficial? and by that i mean upping my current salary and creating more opportunities for when i want to move on further down the line...
    In an ideal world i'd do both but being realistic i could see myself being overloaded and just sacking the off for months on end...

Thanks for taking the time read all this!

:biggrin

Certifications: A+, MCP 70-270
    WIP: Learning .NET
  2. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Seriously, why not do both? If you organise the time, you won't be overloaded. Summer holidays are coming up and that's enough time to do the Prince2 and maybe ITIL v3 fdn. Do a year to finish off your degree, then during the summer holidays between finishing the degree and starting the Masters, you could do the MCTS in SQL during that time. It's not a race to get everything done there and then, but a nice steady pace will get you to where you want to go.

As to which will be more benefical, I would have to say the professional certifications with the academic/vocational qualifications with the key experience...

Maybe not the answer you were looking for, but my answer none the less :)

-Ken

Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security