Finding the product key.

Discussion in 'Software' started by nugget, Feb 19, 2004.

1. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

My problem is this. I recently started a new job and have taken over resposibility for about 30 Win2K workstations. I need to document all of them as to what is installed, OS, Office etc.

Using keyfinder from jellybean software I can find out the OS keys but not the Office 2K keys as these are encrypted (so I've found out).

Anyone know of a way to find the product key legally (registry entry/tool etc) so I can match it up with the software licenses I have?

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  2. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Good question Nugget, can it be as simple as opening the “Word” or “Excel” application, clicking “Help,” and clicking “About [application name]” (e.g. “About Microsoft Word” or “About Microsoft Excel”).

This had me for a minute because I never thought that the key would be so easily accessible to others. :scratch

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...
  3. Luton Bee

Luton Bee Kilobyte Poster

That gives you a product ID, but I think this is different from the license key on the CD packaging.

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA, MCP, A+, Network+ C&G ICT
    WIP: CCNA
  4. nugget
    Honorary Member

nugget Junior toady

Thats right LB. I need to find the license keys to differentiate between standard and pro, and also single install and vlk's.

Over the last 3 years the company has bought and installed many versions and was not so well documented. :speechle:

Certifications: A+ | Network+ | Security+ | MCP (270,271,272,290,620) | MCDST | MCTS:Vista
    WIP: MCSA, 70-622,680,685
  5. SimonV
    Honorary Member

SimonV Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Certifications: MOS Master 2003, CompTIA A+, MCSA:M, MCSE
    WIP: Keeping CF Alive...