finding it heavy going

Discussion in 'Network+' started by nn, Oct 14, 2010.

1. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

The 640-822 Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1) is the exam associated with the Cisco Certified Entry Network Technician certification and a tangible first step in achieving the Cisco Certified Network Associate certification. Candidates can prepare for this exam by taking the Interconnecting Cisco Networking Devices Part 1 (ICND1) v1.0 course. This exam tests a candidate's knowledge and skills required to successfully install, operate, and troubleshoot a small branch office network. The exam includes topics on networking fundamentals; connecting to a WAN; basic security and wireless concepts; routing and switching fundamentals; the TCP/IP and OSI models; IP addressing; WAN technologies; operating and configuring IOS devices; configuring RIPv2, static and default routing; implementing NAT and DHCP; and configuring simple networks.

I think you will find all of the subject matter listed above is also in the N+ objectives, only major difference is learning the cisco ios. I have sat both exams in the last 18 months the icnd1 is more advanced but close enough to N+ to study at the same time.

Certifications: ECDL,A+,N+,CCENT,CCNA,MCP,MCDST
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

I've written practice exams for both Network+ and the CCENT/CCNA on and off for the past nine years, and I simply disagree with you. One covers basic networking theory; the other covers practical implementation on a Cisco device.

Spending ones time studying the CCENT in order to glean the information needed for Network+ is like studying physics to learn algebra. You use algebra to solve physics problems... but you shouldn't study physics to attempt to learn algebra.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

I am not saying they are exactly the same, just that if you are going to learn theory about rip dhcp spanning tree etc is it not much more of a push to learn the config as well. This is even mentioned in the cbt nuggets N+ 2009 videos that there is so much crossover that its worthwhile studying both at the same time. The theory is covered in the N+ books and cisco so you are getting it from 2 sources always good when learning for certs the cisco book just go on to cover config as well.

4. asje1

asje1 Byte Poster

Bazzawood - I have some CBT videos that i watched and found them useful when preparing for the N+

Certifications: A+, N+
  5. bornwina

bornwina New Member

Currently just started an HNC in networking an like yourself i am struggling a bit even with basic concepts, Not ideal when after 2 days on the course we are getting told about ipv6 when we have not even looked at ipv4 :eek:. I am beginning to wonder if college was the right idea as i am finding i am getting more done studying myself.

6. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

IPv6 messed with my head at first I found that Mike Meyers all in one explained it best. When i did my ccna it was one of the last things we covered not the first seems odd to me to learn it so early.

7. bazzawood30

bazzawood30 Byte Poster

ASJE1 i like cbt nuggets i just really liked the icnd1 and incd2 nuggets over the N+ they are a great resource easy to watch and take in.