Finally...

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Josiahb, Mar 25, 2010.

1. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Strating on the road to MCDST, MS Press books delivered (christ they're huge), Technet subscription active (Want and need to play witha domain environment)... shame my machine is slow, old and ****e, if anyone wants to donate £500 to let me get it up to scratch that'd be great!

Certifications: A+, Network+, MCDST, ACA – Mac Integration 10.10
  2. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

I've seen them in my local bookshop ideal for propping up table legs when not in use :)

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  3. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

They caught me totally unawares as I have an Exchange '03 MS Press book sat on my shelf here which is about half the size, what I hadn't taken into account because I've never looked at the thing (was handed it by my brother in law who no longer has to do any server admin work) is that that is the administrators pocket consultant not a bible for any MS exam....

4. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

would your pc not handle any virtual setup?

That's how I did with my MCDST. server 2003 linked with a few xp and some dogy named user accounts :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  5. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Its an elderly socket 939 Athlon 64X2 3800+ with 2GB Ram, so yeah it probably could just about handle it if I didn't mind it being dog slow but I think the time has come I've got my eyes on a nice simple upgrade with an extra RAM kit to take it up to 8GB should keep me happy for a while :)

6. Trogdor

Trogdor Kilobyte Poster Gold Member

Just read the fine print on this. If you add additional memory, you need to update the BIOS. This will invalidate any warranty on the overclock and may reduce the clock speed of the CPU.

Certifications: A+, Network+, Server+, PDI+, MCDST, HP APS Server, HP APS Desktop / Laptop
    WIP: ITIL, CCNA, MCSA, and BSc
  7. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

Well spotted, hadn't seen that.... going to have to do it the hard way then, which will at least save me a few pennies

8. Josiahb

Josiahb Gigabyte Poster

It does save pennies, down to £409.49 with all the same components from scan, still haven't actually got the money mind...

*rattles cup*