Finally ! Another interview - need some info on IBM Servers tho'

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by UKDarkstar, Aug 27, 2008.

1. UKDarkstar
    Honorary Member

UKDarkstar Terabyte Poster

Well guys (and gals !) looks like this was a no-go.

Funny situation really as the day before the interview I spotted a recruiters ad for what looked like the same job. I phoned up to check as if it wasn't there was another prospect.

Anyway, recruiter confirmed it was same but salary was £30-35k whereas the direct ad from the company that I had responded to quoted £25-30k. I raised this at the interview when salary came up. The guy denied that the recruiter was acting for him though he said he had spoken to them but they were not asked to run an ad.

This morning I have spoken to the recruiter who said there had been a bit of a wrangle about it all but they had put forward a candidate to the company and confirmed that the spec they were given did say £30-35k.

The MD at the company has now advised them he has filled the position.

Oh well, back to the job hunt !

Now this could be just to get them off his back but I'm taking it that I'm not going to be offered the job. TBH I was in two minds as he was pushing me that he had someone who would do it for £28k and this wouldn't cover my basic outgoings (large mortgage !) especially bearing in mind 350 miles a week travel to/from work.

My point here is that the job market can be very confusing and you do have to watch yourself. I know neither the MD at the company or the recruiter but I have to take what each says at face value. Clearly there is a discrepancy somewhere !

Just be careful if you end up in a similar situation.

Certifications: BA (Hons), MBCS, CITP, MInstLM, ITIL v3 Fdn, PTLLS, CELTA
    WIP: CMALT (about to submit), DTLLS (on hold until 2012)
  2. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Better luck next time mate :confused2

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  3. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

Sounds like a real ****-up.

The best of luck for your future job hunting. :)

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Recruiters can be "pesky". There's a temp job available at HP right now that's up my alley and I've gotten all kinds of calls and emails from a bunch of recruiters...mostly out of state. Natch, they'll charge HP more since they would have to pay me (or whoever they get to fill the job) and take their own cut. Sometimes, I feel like a piece of meat. :rolleyes:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Gonna start calling you Angus. :D

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Missed this thread... sorry to hear you didn't get the job mate. Better luck next time.

7. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

I've made the same exact point a number of times, but still people insist on here agents don't affect my income !

Even small recruitment firms can have multimillion pound turnovers. Its fairly common for them to take a 25% cut of wages of all temporay workers they place, some will charge whatever they can get away with, i've heard of 50% margins for some poor people.
    If you can get them down to 15% you are lucky.

I seem to find recuiters more of a hinderance these days, got filtered from a job that I was a perfect match other day.

Currently looking for my next role, its like wrestling with eels...

Why not apply direct to HP and chase them up for the next 6 months, sooner or later they will either tell you to go away or offer you a job...

If only more HR people could be bothered to advertise and read their emails...

8. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

They might there... but they don't here in the States. :)

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  9. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

I'm looking around also - quite a few nice roles in my area (London) but a particularly special one that I had my eye on (found it online). E-mailed my CV to the agency, they contact me back talking about 2 different jobs, "ok I'll take a look at the job specs" I tell them - checking out the jobs, one is so far beyond me its ridiculous! (easily 3rd line if not more) and they specify 5 years experience needed, whereas I have 2.5..... and the 2nd job is about service delivery management - something I have an interest in but don't really want to consider it just yet......... ...... damn agents!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293