File sharing error

Discussion in 'Software' started by fig_jam_uk, Aug 26, 2006.

1. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi peeps, Just wondering if anyone has any ideas on what could be causing this problem and how I can fix it? :cussing

I also get this error when trying to share other folders on other drives aswell.

I recently added an extra hard disk and transfered the files to the new drive.. since then I get the following error :onthePC

[​IMG]

Thanks in advance :biggrin

Certifications: MCP win2k PRO
    WIP: ?
  2. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Is the new drive formated in NTFS and is it in disk management? :blink

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  3. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

If you get the same error trying to shared stuff on other physical drives, you may well have a problem with MS Networking.

First, stop and start the Server service - see if that resolves it. If not, try uninstalling & reinstalling File & Printer Sharing. Finally, if that fails, you may have a problem with the TCP/IP stack - which could mean a reset of TCP/IP is necessary

This KB article (299357) will tell you how to go about doing that.

Let us know how you get on!

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  4. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi thanks for the responses, Unfortunatley it hasnt fixed the problem :( I have already tried all these steps ie reset TCP/IP but to no avail, thanks anyways... Does anyone else have any ideas?

thanks

5. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

fig_jam_uk,

Which operating system is installed on the sharing computer? Which operating system is installed on the computer trying to access the share?

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  6. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi its winXP home sp2, im only having this problem when trying to create the share not access it.

Thanks

7. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

This is an odd one. Have you tried the network setup wizard?

I don't usually advocate using wizards but in desperation, it might help as it will disable the firewall if it is enabled hence allowing browsing and sharing files on your local LAN also it will configure file and print sharing etc for you.

Otherwise, I reckon your system is up the creek without a paddle and a re-install is on the cards :oops:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  8. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Going by MS Press, this is the first thing you should run. It only comments on the fact that the wizard creates Registry entries.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  9. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  10. moominboy

moominboy Gigabyte Poster

totally off the way everyone else is thinking so probably wrong but have you checked if your music is copy protected?

iirc i got similar messages when trying to get music from my friends player?

just a thought... good luck! :tongue

Certifications: ECDL
    WIP: A+
  11. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Wow - talk about not seeing the wood for the trees.

I bet this is the right fix (I've lost count of the amount of times I've overcomplicated things when the fix was staring me in the face the whole time!)

Put me out of my misery fig - is moomin right?

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  12. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi Zebulebu im afraid moomin is wrong :( its any file/folder that i try to share, I will try the network setup wizard and let you know how it goes... thanks agin for all the replys :)

13. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

If it comes to it you could uninstall the new drive and then restore the system, that might get you outta jail! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  14. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi im going to try the network setup wizard, if this doesnt work I think ill be migrating to Linux as I have come acros a big breakthru thats been stopping me till now :p so ill see how it goes :biggrin

15. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Hey Fig, can I just ask you to please re-size the picture of your car so that it is within our signature rules size limit.

Your pic is 450 x 100 pixels and the rules say..

Read all about it

Thanks Pete

:offtopic

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  16. Mr.Cheeks

Mr.Cheeks 1st ever Gold Member! Gold Member

I had an unusual problem similiar to this aswell, and system restore sorted it out...

17. fig_jam_uk

fig_jam_uk Bit Poster

Hi im in work at the mo but ill remove it or resize it when im at home :biggrin

Thanks for all the responces, but it happend over a month ago and have done a lot since :(
    so I have flattened the machine and gone to Ubuntu, So let the games commence while I
    spend the next few days getting that the way I want it :)