Problem file and settings transfer wizard question

Discussion in 'Software' started by steve_p1981, Dec 1, 2010.

1. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

OK so, i'm studying for my A+ and my boss bought the shop a "new" PC i use the term loosely as it's a machine with windows XP and SP2. I thought that to save time copying the addresses for all our parts suppliers etc that i'd use the FAST wizard on another PC and transfer it all across.
    It seemed to copy the files and setting fine and save them to the destination on my network that i asked but when i tried to upload it to the "new" PC, it didn't recognise what i was trying to do. can't remember exactly what the error said. I have since realised that the "new" PC has XP home basic SP2 and the "old" PC has XP professional with SP3. (both are the x86 version)
    My question is, do both OSes and versions of internet explorer have to be identical for the wizard to work or have i been a div and done something wrong?

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  2. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

Have a look here and see if you have done it correctly...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/293118/en-us

and fi your still having problems look here...

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/307869/en-us

Last edited: Dec 2, 2010
    Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  3. dales

dales Terabyte Poster

I have used the FAST wizard before its very useful on the whole. You have to make sure you use the same version, so what I did was copy the FAST wizard exe off to a network location/usb stick and only use that version. as long as you go from xp to xp the version you use doesnt seem to matter (in that you could copy off fastwiz from a SP1 xp machine and use the same fastwiz to an xp sp2 machine).

Certifications: vExpert 2014+2015+2016,VCP-DT,CCE-V, CCE-AD, CCP-AD, CCEE, CCAA XenApp, CCA Netscaler, XenApp 6.5, XenDesktop 5 & Xenserver 6,VCP3+5,VTSP,MCSA MCDST MCP A+ ITIL F
    WIP: Nothing
  4. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

interesting i might give that a go. since then the PC in question has decided that it cant find it's usb ports now so i have to try and figure that one out. i'm running a virus / malware checker at the moment and the devices all appear to be enabled nothin seems out of place in CMOS so i'm a little lost

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon