Few questions

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by AndreK, Sep 19, 2009.

1. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

Quick questions am not 100% sure about so your help is appreciated guys

1.Is a volume licence key a single key that works for N no. of computers or is it N keys for N computers? So if you have 100 computers do you get 100 unique keys or 1 single key that can be used to activate all 100 computers?

2.If you install xp pro using a single retail cd can you activate this xp with a volume licence key or are you stuck with the single retail key?

3.Is there any difference with volume licence activation or is it the same options as normal activation?

4.If someone has a laptop and they want to maximise battery life whilst being able quickly start up the laptop, do you choose hibernation because of max battery life or do you choose standby because of quick start-up?

5.Am I right in assuming that if you configure any ntfs permission to deny are all the other permissions below it automatically denied? Lets say deny full control and everything else will be denied automatically?

Thanks

2. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

1 key for 100 computers
    you can only use the key which came with the media (ie you won't be able to use a vlk on retail)
    exactly the same
    stand by is in a low state of power whereas hibernation will turn off but saves the system state and re-loads on bootup
    yes
    np, just give credit when handing in the work :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  3. AndreK

AndreK Bit Poster

Thanks for the quick reply, about the standby and hibernation, I already know what they are and that didn't answer my question, would you choose hibernation because it conserves maximum power but has slow start-up when compared to standby which has faster start-up but "lesser" battery power conserved? Hope that question makes sense.

4. dazza786

dazza786 Megabyte Poster

Hibernation will save the desktop state to hard drive and power off the machine
    Standby will keep the machine on in a low power state, with the desktop state saved to memory

if you want to maximise battery.. it depends on how long they are 'shutting the machine down' for really
    if its to be shut down less than a hibernation boot-down & boot-up.. then standby (although im sure the total reboot time wouldnt be more than 1-2 minutes)
    otherwise hibernate to conserve battery charge

you could google the differences

Last edited: Sep 19, 2009
    Certifications: MCP (271, 272, 270, 290, 291, 621, 681, 685), MCDST, MCTS, MCITP, MCSA, Security+, CCA(XA6.5)
  5. Shinigami

Shinigami Megabyte Poster

If the following was a Microsoft exam question:

"If someone has a laptop and they want to maximise battery life whilst being able quickly start up the laptop, do you choose hibernation because of max battery life or do you choose standby because of quick start-up?"

I would select the option for hibernation based on the fact that most Microsoft advertising material tends to say that hibernation is a quick process. I recall one such demonstration during TechEd 2000 in Florida, where they showed off the (then new) Windows 2000 Pro with its hibernation capabilities and how it was "so fast".

However, in practice I would say that hibernation is anything but fast. In fact, I've seen laptops where a slow hard disk coupled with tons of ram, meant that it took 5 or 10 minutes just to go into hibernation mode, and the same to bring it back out from it.

So having said that, it really depends on how you want to see it for yourself. Sometimes the best practical answer, is not always the most recommended answer in Microsoft's books.

Certifications: MCSE, MCITP, MCDST, MOS, CIW, Comptia
    WIP: Win7/Lync2010/MCM