Few More Interviews lined up

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by jodsclass, Jul 6, 2006.

1. jodsclass

jodsclass Byte Poster

OK, the job at Brother obviously isnt happening as they never contacted me. I have applied for a few 1st/2nd line jobs and have a quick question.

These jobs all ask for basic server 2003/exchange experience. This is the thing. I have a legal copy of both exchange and Server 2003 standard installed on my own server for practice, but so far with University and what not, it seems to have just sat there as a file server. What tasks should I practice on the server 2003 box? And what are common entry level 1st line support tasks with regards to exchange?

Whilst I have the kit I might as well brush up on the basics of server 2003, just wondering what common tasks seem to be.

Man, If only I could find an employer still using 2000 Advanced server, I had alot of hands on with that.

Thanks for your time guys, as always, much appreciated.

Jodsclass

Certifications: BSc IT & Web Development
    WIP: MSc Advanced Computing, Oracle Cert
  2. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

You will find that there is not that much difference between the 2000 and 2003 products, just brush up on the new stuff and you will be fine. You will be surprised how many people run a mix of the 2000 and 2003 O/S's, the reality is that if you can manage 2000, then you'll be able to manage 2003.

8)

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

As mentioned there isn’t *too* much of a jump between the two platforms in regard to admin tasks.

If its first\second line support I would imagine the tasks would include password resets, maintaining security groups\ creating a share \maintaining distribution groups and managing user accounts. Also for exchange you might have to move a mailbox or increase the mailbox size limit, all the important people get big mailboxes! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs