few bits of advice needed

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by NWD, Mar 18, 2010.

1. NWD

NWD Bit Poster

Hi guys

Right first question is concerning employment law.. I left my old job working for a IT Solutions provider to go to a new job as a Systems Administrator for a Solicitors. I had 2 interviews with the new employer, I was accepted, I signed a conditional contract and sent it back, handed in my notice and left my old work taking two days off before starting my new job. I then reveived a phone call the day before I was due to start saying that they did not want me anymore.. saying that I had a bad reference... I'm currently in the process of getting these references together and finding out what has been said about me which hopefully I should have tomorrow (the new employer has been avoiding giving these to me hiding behind confidentiality, I had to threaten them with the data protection act to get them to process releasing the information).

So long story short I have been guzumped good and proper and am now unemployed.. has anyone experienced this sort of issue before???

Secoundly I am now currently looking for work anywhere in the UK and beyond, but i'm having trouble getting interviews.. I'm open and able to relocate anywhere as I am free and single and live in rented accomadation so can move easily. Does anyone have any experience of relocating for work?? I'm tempted to just lie on my CV and say I live in London or wherever I'm applying for work just so that they take me seriously. Plus does anyone have any advice they can give on contracting here or abroad??

cheers guys

Certifications: MCSE, VCP
    WIP: 70-649
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

That's the sort of thing that gets you blacklisted. If you don't want something similar to happen in your next job as what happened on your last job, I'd recommending being as truthful as possible on your CV. Simply state on your cover letter that you intend to relocate to the area upon being hired.

Bad references are few and far between these days... what did the old employer say you did? :blink

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

As I understood it you shouldn't be allowed to get a 'bad' reference, what should have been said was an acknowledgement of your service and thats about it. I would have a long look at the references and start speaking to the HR people at the company concerned because it can get them into legal trouble (having been advised about this sort of thing in the past).

As far as positions go, with a new fiscal year coming at the end of the month that's when projects and budgets will be released so you should find things getting a little easier.

Lastly, consider carefully who you give as references in the future, as a contractor I have been lucky in that I don't often have to do it, when I do I always ensure that it was with someone I was on friendly terms with rather than just a company name (after all you can never tell who will end up writing it).

Oh and never ever lie on the CV, it will bite you on the arse (as an ex of mine discovered when she was asked to produce her Uni grades after telling a little white lie, she had to walk away from the position).

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  4. Kitkatninja
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Kitkatninja aka me, myself & I Moderator

Job offers are normally subject to good references, I believe that this is within the law. As for giving references, see here. A reference has to be fair & accurate/factual, but that does not mean that it has to be be full and comprehensive, however this may be looked upon as suspect if it isn't (but it is within the law).

Saying that an employer (or ex-employer) is under no legal obligation to give a (former) employee a job reference at all. And that can be just as bad as a bad reference but without any legal repercussions.

While a bad reference is very uncommon, due to the duty to the employee. A reference can have negative comments.

"Emotive and highly coloured language is avoided, especially if the comments are negative" - see 3rd bullet point.

Also, you can threaten the prospective employer with the DPA, however as Solicitors they know that:

"References written by an organisation for the purposes of employment are specifically excluded from the rights to access established by the Act"

Do not lie, this will make it worse for you. If you do go abroad, just realise that this can affect your state pension (when you retire), Health care is different in alot of countries, and in some countries a degree level education is required for alot of IT jobs, etc...

-Ken

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
    Certifications: MSc, PGDip, PGCert, BSc, HNC, LCGI, MBCS CITP, MCP, MCSA, MCSE, MCE, A+, N+, S+, Server+
    WIP: MSc Cyber Security