FDM training and Jobs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by han.net, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

What do you mean by "doesn't actually say you set them up and manage them " ? The switches were there already and I was doing the config for nnew customers . Not sure about the maen of managing here .
    Also I configured a Cisco FW from scratch to a new customer , and that was NOT included in the CCNA !!

So finally should I take it off or keep it ??

2. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Saying that I did not put the right thing about my role is NOT true as you can see from the above post in the same thread .
    Right ??

3. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Keep it on...

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  4. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Blimey - this question is going round and round and just refusing to die!

Han, only you know how comfortable you are with Cisco stuff - none of us can tell you.

If you are applying for a job that requires a CCNA, and you think you are capable of doing that job, and you are comfortable about answering relevant questions in an interview - leave it on.

If you are applying for a job which doesn't require a CCNA, or you are not comfortable answering relevant technical questions in an interview - take it off.

If you have applied for a few hundred jobs and not got an interview, or had several interviews that have gone badly - take it off.

How hard can it be?

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  5. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

I apprecitae that , however , the post with my CV or previous role of responsibility should tell the guys into this feild the relavent answer . Yes try and see as you say , its true , but I had put the thread to avoid that and to get the answer or advice from an experience people , otherwise I would not have bothered .
    The aim is from any advice is to shorten the distance towards finding the truth my friend .

You other points are valuable about how comfortable I feel about answering some Tech stuff , and fully aware of them .
    Regards

Last edited: Feb 3, 2011
  6. Makaer

Makaer New Member

I just thought I would give an account of FDM for you to help make your mind up.

I started at FDM 1.5 years ago. I had very little experience/qualifications and as such FDM was my only real option for getting into Finance/IT.

My impressions of the training course were and are now, that it was not good. I took the Application Support stream, and the Infrastructure course has come in since I have been on site so I cannot comment, but the App Support stream mainly consisted of reading through online course material, and then completing a scripting task. This was the same for the Unix/SQL and VBA modules.

It gets incredibly boring and repetitive, but having said that, a friend of mine has joined recently and his reviews of the training have been good. Apparently they have started doing alot more classroom teaching and as such the learning is much more engaging and enjoyable.

In regards to the contract: Yes it is a 24 month contract from the date you start your placement. It is very rare for a company to take you on for less than a year, and the majority of the financial institutions will take you for the entirety of your FDM contract, with the view of training you up to be permanent.

The salary is also not bad. 22-24k first year and 25-27k second year, but I am earning more like 37k this year due to on-call work.

Alot of people here do not recommend joining FDM. Depending on your situation it may be the best thing to do.
    I personally dislike the company, resent them for the terrible training, 24 month contract, and training "fee" for what is essentially reading word documents, but I am grateful for them for giving me the opportunity to get my foot in the door. I had 0 experience and no degree. I am now in a position where I will be earning around 70k (figure taken from previous FDMers in my team)before bonus next year.
    I work for a major investment bank in Canary Wharf, and within this company, there is no graduate scheme for IT. All IT graduates either come from FDM or from one other similar training company. My team itself is actually made up of all FDMers or FDMers who have finished the contract, except for my boss.

If you are joining for the qualifications it may not be the best thing to do. But if you are just looking for a foot in the door, it is a good way to go.

Just my opinion. Hope it helps.

7. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I smell bullsh*t

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  8. TheMagician

TheMagician Nibble Poster

Ooh, I do like the way the Training Provider shills are becoming more advanced. Adding some negative viewpoints before returning to the salary bragging.

Of course you don't work on the training side of FDM and of course you didn't stumble upon this thread while googling your own company on the hunt for bad press (as all TPs are want to do - there is after all so much of it about)

Good try though, you may have fooled one or two people (probably not).

Certifications: MCSA 2012, MCITP: EA, SA, ITIL
  9. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

From 0 experience and 0 degree to reading word documents and a £37000 salary in 18 months haha?

Even i could have made up a better story than that!

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  10. ftaran

ftaran Bit Poster

someone please BAN this ***hole :x

11. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

Sorry guys this thread is going no-where and therefore I am closing it.

I would like to remind everyone that the posts here are not the views of CertForums and are the opinions of the members.

Also if you want to post, post within normal forum rules. Remember "it's nice to be nice" :D

Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong