FDM training and Jobs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by han.net, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

Any cert alone is unlikely to give you all the skills required to perform the job, even having a collection of certs is unlikely to give you all the skills required. This is what people are trying to tell you, this is why people mandate experience over certs. 6-7 years of experience ideally will mean 6-7 years of day in, day out mentoring and learning, you cannot replicate this in most cases in your spare time or on courses, doubly so for certification courses.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2011
  2. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Many thanks my friend for your further explain , and yes i did say that cert wont give me the experience . In fact when I finished my CCNA and started my previous , we did not need as a company to use all the skills learned in CCNA . On other hand , I was the person who was responsible to configure Layer 3 switcches and several ports for customers , using some other skills that I did not come across in the CCNA study . I was also responsible for upgrading CISCO OS 's. I also manage to configure Juniper switches without any previous knoledge in addition to my duty of installing virtual PC on Citrix platform .

I would like to say that MY CCNA course was not one of those fast track or camp courses that you get everything in a week or two . The course was structured for people with little of Networking knoledge and experience and that tool about 8 months to finish completely .

Now im in a situation where I already paid for my MCITP :EA and that not refundable , I can do the course and then not mentioning it in my CV , or just put one or two modules like 7 or AD according to the job that I m apllying to . Does tha seem a good option ?
    Also I can apply for some work expereinve to aplyy my MCITP skills and develp them in a professional a way , Is that good idea too ? if yes any suggestion where I can find those places ?

Many thanks for everyone

3. TheITCrowd

TheITCrowd Kilobyte Poster

Hi Han

My CCNA was completed whilst working over a year with Cisco kit, this is how it should be done, the certification enhanced the knowledge and experience I already had. Configuring layer 3 switches is not difficult nor upgrading the "IOS" attaching a switch or router to a TFTP server is a 2 second job. I configure Layer 2, 3 switches and routers on a daily basis via SecureCRT. I write the basic config and email to on site engineers so they can paste it on, I then configure them remotely from scratch and then migrate them over to the new network, Now I have done this for some time on and off and I still hit issues on a regular basis, I consult my CCIE colleagues for advice. I use firewalls on the networks and they can be a nightmare the slightest mistake can cause all kinds of faults, We have a seperate team to set up the new DC and monitor it's activity,
    What Im getting at is I would not contemplate going solo at this stage with no support, I have a comfort blanket of very experienced people to fall back on if the shxx hits the fan, what would you have?

Certifications: Network + |CCNA |MCTS-70-680,MCTS-70-401, MCTS-70-656, MCTS-70-351 |HP AIS ProCurve Networking -2011 | HP2-896 |VCD-CP27|JNCIA |Hewlett Packard ASE - Network Infrastructure (2011)
    WIP: 642-813
  4. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hello there,

Thanks for your reply , I do appreciate those fact that you mentioned , and I did have my field engineer support if I need him , however he was off sick for more than a month , and I was the one dealing with new customer installations without any help a part from the net or looking at other config for some previous customers and compare the requirment .
    I did simthing simlar to yours , I had a customer purchased a ASA fire wall and as you know the CCNA does not cover any realastic secirity aspect ( just Bascis ) and no firewall at all . I was the one who configured the swith ports and other configs like OSPF and redundant gateways and stuff like that . Then I had to look at other firewalls and look at the customer requirments and compare . Then I tried the comands on the Firewall and got all the config from the scrache pasted and sent to Ops manager at the data centre , who had no clue about Cisco Firewall and thats including my employer ! It did not work straight a way and then after googling , found the missing comands and apllied them and the customer was up and running with all his requirments . What I m getting at is i did apply some of CCNA skills to the field and even went exrta miles to get a config for a customer completed at the date succefully without anybodys help . I have the knowledge and the enthusim to beat and win chalenges and the more I aproach the more thrived i become in my field . Unfortunaltely and just for the record , my employer did notr even appreciate that , and said " Yea it did not work from the bingining !!!"

That just a sile example of what I had in my company .

Can you advise please on the thing that put in my previus reply about the MCITP corse ?

And regarding the clinic , i will point out those issues to my causin ( employer ) .

Thanks

5. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

If you have already paid for the course then do it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  6. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

I have to offer one final bit of advice for you.

Learn to spell; your postings are an absolute nightmare to follow because of the really poor spelling mistakes; now why am I picking this up?? because if you can't put together a couple of simple paragraphs how on earth are you going to put together a config for a router\switch and ensure its correct?

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  7. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hi Simon,

I realize that you may miss judged me by my spelling mistakes ! However it has nothing to do with configuring Cisco Stuff , as the commands are in the brain ! plus you don't need to write the whole command in the config screen. The IOS will take care of it , or even the TAB key . I know I generally don't care a lot about my spelling , so sorry about that . I will work on it for sure , and much appreciate that you highlighted it .

I hope neither you nor the others have made their judgment on me by my spelling ! I m not a native English speaker , I came to England 4 years ago with bit of English ( very basic ) . Again , thanks for that , and will work on it to overcome it soon !

Regards

8. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

So the doctor is your cousin?
    Makes sense - but keeping it in the family is not always the best way to go.

In terms of your course, if you've paid for it, go ahead and do it.
    I'm sure no harm will come to you as a result.

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  9. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Yes , He is ,and I know what you mean , plus I care about him and his business too. In fact he is the one who paid for the course for me and if I dont take the job then I need to pay him back .
    I will discuss all the points which I had from you from the other guys here .

I will do the course , thanks and I m in the process of completing my virtual lab at home with a powerful PC !

Kind regards

10. greenbrucelee

I think this thread is getting a bit stupid now so all I am gonna say is LOL and thats it.

11. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

Is your cousin an actual doctor or has he just done a course in medicine with 6 months experience working in a chemist? ;)

only joking bro.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  12. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

Ive been a member of these forums for a while now, and when I started my job hunt I remember talking about fdm.
    Anyway I put my cv on a cwjobs (I think).
    The next day i got a call from fdm, I missed it and it went to voicemail, I did a bit of research and thought, Im not returning your call mate, then I got another voicemail, I thought to myself business must be slow.

I think the fact so many people are disillusioned with not getting work is making these training academies thrive.
    I spend the last 6 years studying, I dont think its in my best interests to acquire more qualifications.

Experience is key, I had a 3 month internship and that day-to-day experience has benefited me greatly.

Personally I would advise staying away, no one does anything for you in this world for nothing, the same can be said of fdm.

13. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hello ,

Thanks for sharing your experience about FDM, however, you explain why did you decide not going with them and that was based on your search , but did not include a specific reason . I agree on the fact that nobody would do anything for you for free, but they are not my friend. They train you and then you have to work with them for 2 years and through that work they get their money back. They keep in mind that people are looking to get into IT would be happy to do some sacrifices at the beginning, and that’s like relocating on regular basis. That’s from my general understanding to the FDM side. I share your opinion about how they approached you several times and agree with how you felt, but keep in mind that everybody might feel the same and that put them off and make FDM more eager to find people to fill. If it was a total scam! then why are they still functioning and the law did not manage to get hold of them for years now ?
    Im not saying that I am going with them, but I was keen to hear from certain people who have been in that experience and worked or trained with them.
    I would ask :
    Why are they looking consistently for people if people were happy to continue working with them? Is iy purely because its a scam or because people would prefere to setill in a one company after they got their experience and become more attractive in the market .

This not a bios point of view , its just trying to find the a realistic truth .

Regards

Last edited: Feb 1, 2011
  14. greenbrucelee

Why do many of these companies still operate? because people believe the fact that they will be earning 37k in a very short period of time and because of that they pay the money or do what the company wants. Then they find out its all BS and there's nothing they can do about it. Because there is always a catch or something thats in the small print that allows them to get away with it.

There are companies which say "Train with us and we will get you a job." then at the end of the course the company says "You do not live in the correct geographical area so we can't find you a job". And because its all in the small print which no one reads they can get away with it.

15. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hello again and thanks
    • They don’t offer 37 K , they offer 21-25 K which is realistic I think .

• Regarding the small print, does that mean people are signing without reading the contract or the small print? and has been happening for years now ?

• Every time people come across such companies , they become so scared and doubtful, however, it’s a business and any company would like to offer an attractive thing to bring people in . That’s include IT training, Broadband providers, Shopping online , etc …. I know a company called Just IT does something similar and came a cross somebody who works in company which had a contract with Just IT . He confirmed that Just IT did place people in jobs in his company and they are learning .

• Talking about the catch, yes , the catch was to work and relocate within 2 years of your contract .

• Talking also about the contract and the small print, has anybody read the contract and found an issue with it ?

I placed another thread in Jobs section based on the device that I had from this post , and hope you can take a look too .

Many thanks

16. greenbrucelee

Many people never read small print whenever there is any because it looks like legal mumbo jumbo that they wont understand so they ignore it. This can be when you take a loan, join one of these places or whatever, then something goes wrong and people can't get anywhere because its all in the small print and therfore a binding agreement.

Companies like this are not there to make you money and make you be successful they are there to make them money and them successful.

A certain percentage of people will get on ok and end up beind successful so they dont have to pay them back but guess what? the percentage of failures will be higher so that this place makes money out of it.

17. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

Well if you're happy to relocate anywhere at the drop of a hat for a mere 21k (Can you envision the amount the company makes on your placement?) then go ahead. If you hate the contract you're on then that's also tough - leave and pay the compensation.

It's all win win for the company not you.

18. arj7

arj7 Nibble Poster

This is my opinion others may disagree but this is how I feel, here goes.

Personally FDM and other companies say they will get you a job guaranteed, but the fact your in a contact with them means your stuck whereever they put you for the period of the contract. If mid way someone offers you a role and you breach your contract you have to pay the remainder of that contract, i believe 17k i could be wrong thats what i read elsewhere.

I think yeah you do get experience, but its a way of getting someone to work for 2 years on peanuts and get "training"!

tell me the difference between getting a 15-18k job and working there for 2 years and learning?
    Im more likely to go that route than fdm

19. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hi all,

To who ever thought that I should take my CCNA off from my CV , I would like to refer thenm to my thread in the Employment section where I posted another one asking for an advice on my CV .

Regards

20. greenbrucelee

I only stated you should take it off your cv because of what you were saying about your experience level. What I said was that you were applying for jobs beyond your level were the CCNA is fine however it isn't fine for someone wanting to get into IT. Second you never said on here that you had supported cisco kit but your cv does. People cant advise properly if you dont tell the whole story.

Although your cv says about providing support for cisco kit it doesn't actually say you set them up and manage them.

There have been other members on here with no experience and high level certs and they could not get jobs, as soon as they took the high level jobs of their CVs they got jobs then after getting the experience needed they put the high level certs back on their cv.

Last edited: Feb 2, 2011