FDM training and Jobs

Discussion in 'Training & Development' started by han.net, Jan 18, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hello there,

I have been contacted by a training provider and recruitment agency called FDM academy recently . As some of you might have known them previously, they offer FREE training with a job contract tiing you up with them for 2 years . I have been invited for in interview with them in a week time and would like to have an idea about some points before hand, if somebody has tried them before and know bit of what im curious to know.

1-They needed to us to provide them with some coding ( " You will be expected to bring along to the seminar coding which complies with the coding standards outlined in the link below. Suggested technologies include (but are not limited to): Java, C#, UNIX, C++, C, Visual Basic etc.")

Im not sure what does that mean ( coding ) and also I have no knowledge what so ever about Java and programing . I come from a PC and Networking backround ( Cisco) . I will email them to ask for info , but meanwhile can anybody assist with that ?

Also , has anybody gone to their seminar and offered the interview , what technical area are likely to be discussed ? Im just bit concern about my knowledge in Programming. Can anybody help with that ?

Many thanks

2. dmarsh
    Honorary Member 500 Likes Award

dmarsh Petabyte Poster

If you don't know anything about programming I guess you are not their target audience. However UNIX is an OS, they should have said UNIX Shell Scripting, so they don't know what they are talking about either.

If you wanted to start learning try this :- http://tinyurl.com/4cnq2o5

3. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Don't go then.

I certainly wouldn't turn up for an interview knowing that it was for something that I knew nothing about.

On top of that, as we have seen hundreds of times here before, any thread which starts with the name of a training provider and the word 'job' is usually the beginning of a tale of heartache and woe. Likewise any 'training' scheme that starts off with an 'interview'. And anything that looks too good to be true...

8)

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  4. zet

zet Byte Poster

Okay, the FDM Group have this busines model where you are contracted with them for 2 years, you also have to relocate to where ever they place you. If you decide to break the contract you will be fined around 17k (you pay for the training that way).

They offer a wide variety of technical training. If you do want to go down this route then I suggest you work with their technical networking course and not the programming one. However, you have the cisco qualification which means you should have alot of experience and shouldn't have trouble finding a job via other means.

Certifications: BSc, MSc, A+
  5. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Many thanks for your reply , and LET ME GOOGLE IT FOR YOU is really nice !
    I have sent them an email to explain and enquire more and they have not come back to me yet > I highlited the points that I come from a non programming backround and asked them to advise accordingly .

Zet

Many thanks for your advice too, I did my basic search and am aware of these bits , however it seems like finding a job with 6 months experince and the CCNA and A+ is not easy theses days , unless if you have a better idea or a path to try .

JonnyMX

many thnaks for your advice too, I have done my search and they look like true , the catch is that they get their money through your job and also there would nt be so many people intersted in relocating so often , and thats why they try to use people looking to get into IT as they will be more than happy to do that .

any further information from somebody who has been working or gone to their interview would be much appreciated .

Regards

6. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

This.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  7. BosonMichael

Unless some of that 6-month experience is working with Cisco gear, the CCNA is not likely to help you get a job working with Cisco gear... and the CCNA isn't relevant to entry-level tech work, so the CCNA is not likely to help you get an entry-level job. I simply offer the possibility that your CCNA could be doing your CV more harm than good at this early stage of your career.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  8. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Thanks you for your opinion , I would disagree with that though. Saying that my CCNA would do harm or make me over qualified is not true , and the evidence that I found my first job in IT after I finished my CCNA and that how I worked and gained 6 months experience , otherwise I would have got it ! .

Regarding the offer , here is an email I received just after I put my query :

" We actually do assess those applying for our infrastructure stream separately.
    On the day you are booked in you will have a technical interview with our infrastructure trainer --------. In preparation for this I recommend you revise a project you have worked on that demonstrates your knowledge in this area and that you will be able to discuss with him. Please bring with you any case documentation and if you prepare a short (under 5 minute) presentation to demonstrate your knowledge and understanding of what the project involved.

any ideas ??
    The problem that I did not work on any project , I was dealing with customers, configuring Cisco layer 3 Switches and stuff like that .

Regards

9. BosonMichael

You have the right to believe as you will. I am simply offering up the employers' perspective, as someone who sits on the interviewers' side of the table.

Sure, there are some who will get a job with the CCNA and no previous experience. But this is the exception and not the norm.

10. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Much appreciate your advice and I value your opinion, however I just don’t want now to drift the discussion towards another subject.
    Can we please stay within the main frame of the thread please.

Regards

Last edited: Jan 18, 2011
  11. BosonMichael

I was simply responding to your post. You posted that it isn't easy to get a job with the CCNA and 6 months of experience, and I was explaining why. You asked for a "better path to try", and I offered one. If you don't believe it to be relevant, why did you post it? :blink

:offtopic

12. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Read the original message again please and you will understand more about the post!
    The ccna job was just within the main subject and if you read bit more again , it was to have an advice if you have any , on finding a job with regards to my situation , and you were saying simply NO . so there is no need to discuss it further from your side .

I would still be interested to keep the discussion within the main subject please .

Many thanks for your understanding

13. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

From their website:

Preferably you will have a degree in Computing (combined also considered), Mathematics, Chemistry, Physics or a related discipline.

Alternatively you may have worked in the industry and undertaken recognised certifications and accreditations, such as: Microsoft Certified Professional (MCP), Microsoft Certified Systems Engineer (MCSE), Cisco Certified Network Administrator (CCNA) or an A+.

Either way you will be eager to pursue a career in Network Management and possess a passion for IT. You must be able to demonstrate technical, theoretical and hands-on IT skills.

Seems these guys really know their stuff..:rolleyes:

Your support experience was your project, now just build it up with window dressing.

Your main issue lies in the fact you have certifications in two extremes. You have no middle ground, you don't see many jobs asking for A+ (in the UK anyway) neither do you see many for CCNA alone (especially not without a decent amount of hands on experience. You'll see CCNA + 2008 Server + Oracle + Win7/XP but you do not have any certifications in these areas.

This is why I believe people should build a solid foundation before doing the CCNA, where the certification really starts to come into play and produce it's benefits. My advice, Get some MS certifications behind you and round out your CV.

14. BosonMichael

I read your original message quite clearly.

If you saw my response as "simply saying no", then you've completely missed the point. If the CCNA is liable to do you more harm than good early on in your career, the obvious solution would be to remove it from your CV.

Ethernet0's post goes into much more detail than mine does and hits the nail squarely on the head.

15. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Thats verykind , thanks , can I ask you to give more detials about the project thing , I will list below my previous responsibilities :

• Providing a professional first point of contact for customers experiencing technical difficulties, raising a ticket for each job and working with Field Engineers to enable a swift resolution
    • Actively involved in ordering Cross Connect on behalf of customers involving liaising with Adapt (Internet and connectivity provider) to produce detailed diagrams for future reference
    • Liaising directly with Engineers to book and process access requests to the company’s data centres on behalf of customers
    • Raising tickets for all new customer orders, arranging for the Field Engineers to manage the installation process and assigning IP addresses to customers according to their needs
    • Creating forward and reverse DNS entries for clients and making decisions on the most appropriate network topology and technical configuration on Cisco Layer 3 switches
    • Responsible for the configuration of Cisco Firewalls and Power Distribution Unit devices according to customer needs and creating sensors on bandwidth monitor system for customer devices

• Providing detailed technical information to customers including IP allocations, PDU and bandwidth monitor log-in details
    • Maintaining and updating the CRM system with accurate and up to date information on customers and technical details
    • Working in close conjunction with other members of the team tasked with delivering virtual machines to customers on Citrix platforms involving configuring Cisco switch and Xen server, creating and installing the virtual machine on the Xen server and completing all associated provisioning work
    • Actively involved in the upgrade of Cisco IOS internally as well as updating HTML web pages for new PDU links
    • Investigating and resolving connectivity and other technical issues on Cisco switches and providing subsequent reports
    • Additionally involved in configuring Juniper switches, upgrading PDU firmware and creating ACL for Cisco Core switches in line with security policy
    • Playing a pivotal role in managing the company’s partnership with Cisco including ordering and processing SmartNet services to fix or replace faulty firewalls

can you give or recommend 2 at least to think about , and give some simple head lines to start with ??

Regards

16. ethernet0

ethernet0 Byte Poster

"You must be able to demonstrate technical, theoretical and hands-on IT skills."

Your project (as such) was to deliver technical resolutions and administration within the service level requirements, you then build the project up by displaying how you utilized your technical, theoretical and hands-on IT skills to deliver the end result.

Maybe you could pick out an account you worked on (i.e British Airways) and present how you ensured that mission critical network operations remained functional giving examples and functions as you work through.

I can't really go into details because it's something you have to sit down and compile yourself, self promoting and demonstrating at every available opportunity.

17. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Is this going to be one of those threads where someone asks a question and then doesn't want to listen to the answers?

:rolleyes:

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  18. SimonD
    Honorary Member

SimonD Terabyte Poster

You were a 1st line tech support person, you don't have the experience to back up the CCNA and that's an issue, listen to Michael when he advises what he does because he does know what he is on about.

Having the CCNA with only 6 months experience is just plain mad and in all honesty I would drop the CCNA from the CV for the moment.

Certifications: CNA | CNE | CCNA | MCP | MCP+I | MCSE NT4 | MCSA 2003 | Security+ | MCSA:S 2003 | MCSE:S 2003 | MCTS:SCCM 2007 | MCTS:Win 7 | MCITP:EDA7 | MCITP:SA | MCITP:EA | MCTS:Hyper-V | VCP 4 | ITIL v3 Foundation | VCP 5 DCV | VCP 5 Cloud | VCP6 NV | VCP6 DCV | VCAP 5.5 DCA
  19. Waria Ahmed

Waria Ahmed Byte Poster

I agree to listen to what Michael hs said. P.S dont go to FDM, you will f*** up your life and career. Just carry on applying for job and train yourself up if you want training.

Certifications: See Signature
    WIP: MCITP: Enterprise Administrator
  20. han.net

han.net Nibble Poster

Hi Guys,

Many thanks for everybody's reply, and advice ,and sorry for not logging earlier due to some life issues .

I do need people's advice and appreciate it , and need to be considered , thats for sure.

1- Even though That I don’t really want to drift this towards my CV , I find taking my CCNA off would leave some doubtful gaps in my CV and especially because I had that job due to my CCNA and make it without valuable points . In addition, Achieving the CCNA with that shortcut according to your reply , would suggest that I have ability to work and get some good skills without being or havng a previous experience . Its just my view , and would love this time to have your comments on it .
    2- Some of you advised that going with FDM would ruin my career , but can you please tell me why or how ? is because FDM it self ?
    3- Going to FDM interview does not mean that I m going to sign with them , I will have the advantage of going to another interview and experience that , see if I was able to get the job offer , and realize what I lack if I did not , and how to improve it . Also , if I get the offer , I will enquire about it more and ask for few days to think about it .
    4- Please some of you who did not know that FDM have a training path for Network support and systems infrastructure.