Faulty MCDST Book

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by Becki, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Hi I recently bought a Sybex MCDST book only to find that when i reached page 93 it reverted to page 61, when back up to 92 and then resumed on page 125!

Has any one else recently bought this book off amazon and had the same problem?

Thanks Becki x

Certifications: NVQ IC3 A+ Network+ MCDST MCITP MCTS Vista & 7
  2. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

I haven't had that same problem, but have you contacted Amazon or Sybex? I don't know Sybex's policy, but many companies will replace books that contain printing problems. Did you buy the book new or used?

3. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

Hi

That's a fault on the publishers behalf, I'd be very doubtful if Amazon would be liable to replace that as they would have received it in that way

Normally, publishers would replace something like that as to be frank they'd be embarrased about it and would want it out of circulation. Email their customer services, if that fails try their marketing department. I would be very surprised if you were the only one this happened to as the fault would have happened in a batch

PS - I'm assuming you mean a physical, printed book, not an eBook or something? :)

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  4. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

brand new, and ive let both of them know just gotta follow em up

5. JohnBradbury

JohnBradbury Kilobyte Poster

Under the Sale of Goods Act you're entitled to a full refund or replacement from the retailer. It's Amazon who have to chase the publisher not you...

I've found their customer service to be excellent so I'm sure you won't have any problems returning this.

6. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

If the ISBN is 0-7821-4352-0, then I have the same book as you... got it today from Amazon, and the one I have is OK.

Edit: haven't checked yet, but I assume the electronic version of the book is on the CD? So, if all else fails, you could potentially use the CD to study. Not ideal I know, but could be used as a last resort?

7. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

Well ive just tried the CD and guess what?! it look like that is faulty as well, i can't get the E-Book to open, i keep having a program error when it tries to load on adobe after i have installed it!

8. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

Ouch! :rolleyes:

Have Amazon been back in touch re how they intend to deal with it?

I assume they will give you a Returns ref, and you send the book and CD back. Once they get they, I assume they will send you another copy out.

Will keep my fingers crossed you get it sorted asap. 8)

Other than that, how are the studies going?

9. Becki

Becki Byte Poster

yup, free p & p back to them and they'll send me a free repacement, and i have let sybex know about it aswell

10. BosonJosh

BosonJosh Gigabyte Poster

Glad to hear that Amazon was quick to address the issue. Hopefully, you'll get your new book in short order.

11. derkit

derkit Gigabyte Poster

How random - I've just checked my book and thats fine.... odd one!

Certifications: MBCS, BSc(Hons), Cert(Maths), A+, Net+, MCDST, ITIL-F v3, MCSA
    WIP: 70-293