Farewell - at least for a while

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

2c

More like a dollar mate, can't argue with that answer there at all. Nice one

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  2. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Very mature of you Leehaa.

I PM'd you asking the question as i did not know who you are on about and still don't

If you do think it is me, tell me where in any of my threads I have talked about BRAINDUMPS!!!!!!!

3. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  4. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Back to topic.

Zeb is outta here, at least for now, and he has his reasons. This isn't a war about whether he's right or wrong. He's right for him. This isn't the Army. I have my personal opinion on the matter and I've already stated it in this thread but opinions aside, Zeb can make his own choices as can the rest of us.

Thanks. Now back to your regularly scheduled discussion forum, now in progress.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  5. GiddyG

GiddyG Terabyte Poster Gold Member

It is a great shame that Zeb has gone. As with others on the forum, I thoroughly enjoyed a lot of his technical explanations on many subjects. I'd feel exactly the same if the likes of Ryan, Sparky or BM disappeared too. :(

I just hope he comes back soon... let's not forget that it's the many parts that make us whole as a forum. Zeb is a BIG part of that, and CF certainly is not the same without him.

6. simongrahamuk
    Honorary Member

simongrahamuk Hmmmmmmm?

Regardless of who gives the advice it is always given with good intentions, whether the person fully understands what they are saying or not. This is the nature of a forum and how people help to help each other to learn. someone who believes they know the answer responds, someone who knows more on the subject then responds to that giving further explanation.

simply beacuse a member does not know as much as another forum member on a subject is no reason to ban them, they may not wish to defend their explanation, but that may simply be down to choice. Members may have made comments in the past which have caused other members to get their backs up with a 'we're holier than thou' attitude, but lets make it known that the staff deal with this.

The actions against a member remain private between the member and the staff, enough infractions of the rules and the public will see the results of those private interactions, i.e the user gets banned.

Members need to be told publicly that they are not members of the CF staff and have no right whatsoever to comment on the way that the forum is run or staffed. If they have an issue, raise it with staff by pm, if they feel the need to leave the forum as a result of that backstage discussion then so be it. they could even tell the world their reasons why, the thread would be locked instantly, but remain public.

Simply because some members are more respected than others, it does not mean that they are in any way more privileged or deserving of any special treatment than a first time poster.

7. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Simon, the giving of advice is NOT the point... it's the personal attacks that occur that ought to be bannable.

But... I guess if this is TRULY the attitude of the forum management at this point, I too will be taking a break from these forums until and unless things change. Like I said, there are plenty of other places where we won't be attacked for providing solid advice or disproving weak advice.

If any of you guys want to speak with me, you know where to find me.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

I would rather someone tell me my advice has been incorrect so I can learn from my mistakes.

The attacks do happen and are not on and I also think people advocating cheating is also wrong. The slightest hint of someone mentioning BD sites or the software they are advocating the use of should be a bannable offence with no let of.

There is a difference between someone not realise they have used a BD and someone who blatantly advocates the use of BDs

But that just my opinion.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Ditto.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  10. Mathematix

Mathematix Megabyte Poster

BM, as said both publicly and privately, I actually have respect for you. But it this instance I think you need to remember how much CF has promoted your products free of charge on these forums. I'm not saying that you need to take crap from anyone - just ease up a little.

Certifications: BSc(Hons) Comp Sci, BCS Award of Merit
    WIP: Not doing certs. Computer geek.
  11. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

Stands back and gets the popcorn...

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  12. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Let's not pull that old trick again.

It's interesting because one of the issues that seems to be a real sticking point is some "bad attitude" comments made by a single member and that these comments have put a number of members off of the forums here.

First of all, letting a single individual have that much control of your overall forum experience seems like a bit much. After all, you can set your personal preferences to ignore specific members so you won't even see their posts.

Secondly, it seems like some of the comments here in this thread are treading on at least "bad manners" which is what is being complained about in the first place. I hate to see Zeb's thread hijacked into a "he said, she said" dialogue that has no real resolution. A "battle of the opinions" is won by no one.

Lastly, I haven't seen any complaints lately in the staff forum about the "offending member" who seems to be the source of all this angst, so perhaps whatever is going on behind the scenes is actually working.

Bottom line: if you want CF to continue to be the great place it has always been, work to keep it that way by behaving as you'd expect others to behave, as opposed to airing displeasure about what others may be doing. Some of you may recognize the obvious Biblical reference in this situation, i.e, taking the plank out of your own eye before trying to remove the splinter from your brother's eye.

Thanks (please take the hint and chill).

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  13. craigie

craigie Terabyte Poster

I was only joking Trip :twisted:

On a serious note, I can see both points of view from the Cert Forums Staff and also from the people who posted as well.

Personally, I feel that the Cert Forums Staff have got it right with your answers. Just because someone does not agree with you or pehaps gives some poor advice doesnt mean they should be banned. We all have the choice whether we choose to take on board the advice or not. As you said we are not the Army, people join for there own reasons and to be part of a 'online community'.

I have asked for advice and recieved it on many occassions, do I agree with every post no, will I read it yes and then make my own informed decision.

Overall Cert Forums is a enjoyable place to be (most of the time), hence the reason why I and many others choose to contribute here.

A qoute from Zeb which did indeed make me lmao

'Opinions are like arseholes everyone has one'.

Certifications: CCA | CCENT | CCNA | CCNA:S | HP APC | HP ASE | ITILv3 | MCP | MCDST | MCITP: EA | MCTS:Vista | MCTS:Exch '07 | MCSA 2003 | MCSA:M 2003 | MCSA 2008 | MCSE | VCP5-DT | VCP4-DCV | VCP5-DCV | VCAP5-DCA | VCAP5-DCD | VMTSP | VTSP 4 | VTSP 5
  14. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Nods.. patience is a virtue guys :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)
  15. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

Please, lets all be fair and remember that CF stands for friendly and resourceful when it comes to certification and advice.

However, as someone mentioned earlier on in this thread if they think a thread is not worth the hassle they wouldn't read it let a lone reply to it. So my point is it's a forum and some people no doubt are more experienced and knowledgeable than others does not mean others can't get a point across.

Although, am not taking sides in either way but must say I have noticed a trend on this site and hence have some what taken precaution. All in all cert forums is the best I have visited and participated in more when compared to the others I have frequented in the same capacity.

Finally, lets all chill out and take a deep breath as those who must always have the last say are not necessarily the one's that make the most sense. Peace out:)

Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  16. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

I think that people should maybe just chill?

I mean, instead of him just leaving, maybe he should of posted a topic about the issue rather than just going because someone on the forum is giving out bad advice?

I do understand where he's coming from, but, you have that on EVERY forum, you get people that think..

"I'd like to work it IT"

They search on the web about certifications in the IT sector and stumble upon this forum.

Join the forum and start posting, in regards to WHAT they post, it might not be the correct advice but they have the intention of trying to do some good, or maybe just satisfy they're ego, who knows, its entirely individual.

BUT

There is the other side of it, people post and think that they are right and lash out at more respected (respected makes it sound like the forum has a hierarchy xD) members.

I will openly admit that the other day, I lashed out at another member of the forum because I was certain that I was right!

The problem was that I didn't actually read the title of the topic correctly, I thought it was something else and therefore making it my fault from the beginning, that is the first last and ONLY time I will ever do that.

(I apologized by PM and publicly on the forum to this user! Were good now :biggrin!)

BUT

From that experience the user has very generously offered to help me learn about the topic I got wrong and I have learned a very, very valuable lesson on the forum from my experience. That is what I've found is so GREAT about this forum, friendly members who understand what its like to work your way up from the bottom in IT and they respect US (less experienced people) for that, so lets respect them!

But, everyone is different, if we all kept to the 'rules' and didnt have difference of opinions the world wouldnt of made much progress.

Thats my 2c.

(I think I copied another member with the 2c thing, sorry! It just looks good!)

:biggrin!

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  17. twizzle

twizzle Gigabyte Poster

so far i havent posted in relation to this but i cant hold off any longer.

I value zeb's opinions on here and he is a respected member of this forum. However i do think starting a post saying you are taking a break due to one persons post is just as bad as teh person abusing you. It's thi sort of thing that starts flame wars and more abuse / insults.

Ok so one person may have gotten out of hand with soem things they said or posted. so what? It is only a forum lets not forget that! While i think CF is teh bst forum i have been on, and i consider it me online family, this place is just a place for words. And one should never let written words from posts ona forum get to you. It is your choice to read the posts and your choice as to how much to heart you take comments on here.

But lets not forget this should not have that much effect on your life! Shrug it off, dont let it affect you and just move on. trust in the staff here to deal with any abuse as they see fit and get on with your life.

Soem things get said on here that i could take to heart if i so chose, but i dont, and i dont post about it complaining. We're all grown ups after all. If i decide at work taht i dont liek someone, well i try to stay away from them, and if i cant i just put up and shut up until i can get away from them. and thats what you should do here. Be the bigger man and walk away without comment, report it to mods if you feel about it that badly, then just leave it.

Post liek thsi can cause more people to think worse of you, than you may realise. And i'm afraid zeb that by posting liek this you have lost some respectability in my eyes. I will still appreciate your info and your experience above others, but just relax a little.

Sorry if this offends anyone or sound "wrong", i dont mean to sound iek i'm having a go at Zeb in particular, let' s face it some people shouldnt use forums for personal attacks, but it does happen and it can get out of hand. Guess i'll just shut up now.

Certifications: Comptia A+, N+, MS 70-271, 70-272
    WIP: Being a BILB,
  18. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

I don’t think the issue is with some members who are inexperienced giving out advice which is possibly incorrect. The member generally has the best of intentions so that’s cool with me.

It looks to me that in some cases a member with more commercial experience may correct someone (again with best of intentions and not to score points etc.) who has posted something which is questionable and after that the thread gets a little heated.

I know *exactly* where Zeb is coming from though. If an inexperienced member wants to follow the advice of someone who has posted something which is out and out wrong (not just a difference of opinion) then surely this isn’t a good thing?

Anyways, lets move on.... :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  19. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

Nod

:biggrin

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  20. AJ

AJ 01000001 01100100 01101101 01101001 01101110 Administrator

I would like to try to put this thread at an end as it now seems to have reached a conclusion.

The moderating style of CF has been the same since it was started by SimonV and has worked well for the past 6+ years and is constantly under scrutiny by the staff. We endeavour to be fair to everyone whether new members or old. One thing that I do believe is that there are CF members and that's it. I like to think that you are all treated by the staff equally and without favour. This is why sometimes it can seem a while before we take action. We are not perfect, I admit, but I think on the whole we do a pretty darn good job.

As to this situation. I do think that those involved need to get a sense of perspective. If you post a reply to someone (anyone) and you start off or reply in an aggressive manner then you're going to get that back. It is no good reporting to the mods that you are being abused. If you are right with your advice then link to the facts and prove it, argument over. If they are wrong then say so and link to the facts again. Then there is no doubt that someone who has gained knowledge through dubious means is wrong. Offending posts will be removed from the boards and discussed in the moderator’s forums and then action taken. If it is a blatant infraction then the mods will take unilateral action against it. The action may still be reviewed by the Admins and either reversed or a more severe infraction awarded.

Now as to warnings. SGUK has already stated what happens and I feel no need to go over old ground. If you want to know how the infraction system works, look on the forum rules or FAQs. I will say this though. If you are being disciplined at work say, would you want that meeting to be the public domain where everyone would know about it? I think not. The same with the infraction system. It is a tool to be used by the mods "if they think there is the need" and even then it can issue warnings as well as infraction points/bans. Banning someone is a LAST resort and not something that is done lightly.

As stated before, I am bringing this thread to a close and locking it. Not because I do not want reprisals from it, I am closing it because it is now detracting from the usual forum traffic. Blatant continuation of this issue in a new thread will incur the same treatment that we've unfortunately been forced to impose upon this thread.

It is always the case, that if you have any problems or see a post that you are concerned about, report it using the "report a thread" tool or PM ANY member of staff and we will discuss it.

Thank you.

Last edited by a moderator: Jan 2, 2015
    Certifications: MCSE, MCSA (messaging), ITIL Foundation v3
    WIP: Breathing in and out, but not out and in, that's just wrong