Farewell - at least for a while

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by zebulebu, Nov 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

I can understand the point of view being expressed here. The problem is that the only group that a discussion forum can recruit members from is the human race. That means the occasional "bad apple" will crop up.

That said, I've been part of several discussion forums over the past five years or so and I can say that CF is probably top of the lot, particularly in courtesy and lack of flaming. I've belonged to one forum in particular where the "flamers" seemed to run the show and the staff (well, most of the flamers *were* staff), did little or nothing about it. The best of the membership dropped out one by one and finally, I left as well.

Again, everyone has a right to their opinion and this isn't the Army, so everyone has the right to come and go as they please. My opinion is that CF is one of the better places on the web and I don't think that it's exactly "falling apart". If the members want this to stay a quality community, then the quality members are encouraged to stay and keep it that way.

JMHO

:end soapbox:

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

True, CF is among the best... but understand, the fact that nothing (visible) is being done about the problem is the impetus for leaving.

As you well know, the situation at SecSpeak was entirely different; everyone knew the seven-or-so people "flaming" didn't mean a bit of it. The reason THAT forum died is because there's only so much that seven people with very little additional "walkup" traffic can talk about. THIS situation is entirely different.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Its A shame Zeb feels the way he does and hopefully it was just a knee jerk reaction and in the light of day might feel A bit different. I would also like to add that my experience is all positive this forum has been informative, problem solving, and humorous and I look forward to looking in each day.

WIP: C++ and A+
  4. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

I'm in total agreement with Zeb & BM on this one. I have found it increasing frustrating on CF since that guy turned up. I'll be taking a break for as long as he's around. It may sound petty, but that's the way I feel.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  5. Mr Machfisto

Mr Machfisto Nibble Poster

Have I missed something here................what guy?

6. Qs

Qs Semi-Honorary Member Gold Member

[​IMG]

Certifications: MCT, MCSE: Private Cloud, MCSA (2008), MCITP: EA, MCITP: SA, MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003, MCITP: EDA7, MCITP: EDST7, MCITP: EST Vista, MCTS: Exh 2010, MCTS:ServerVirt, MCTS: SCCM07 & SCCM2012, MCTS: SCOM07, MCTS: Win7Conf, MCTS: VistaConf, MCDST, MCP, MBCS, HND: Applied IT, ITIL v3: Foundation, CCA
  7. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Not on here long enough to read through all the posts so as baffled as edit: Mr Machfisto is (though do have a vague idea)

Has anyone actually sent a PM to this guy explaining how you feel?

This reminds me of school :rolleyes:

Certifications: MCP, MCDST, ITIL v3, MBCS, others...
    WIP: BSc IT & Computing, RHCE
  8. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

if it's the guy I think it is, I sent him several.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  9. Cockles

Cockles Megabyte Poster

I'm totally lost too

Each to their own I suppose and I fully respect that, but I don't really get this 'I'm leaving til people behave' train of thought. It's a bit too head-in-the-sand. Hell, I wish i could blot out most people that give me naff ideas or attitude on a daily basis, but just gotta roll with it.

Certifications: None
    WIP: Trying to find my car keys
  10. Mof

Mof Megabyte Poster

Beats me I have no idear who they are refuring to either:ohmy.

WIP: C++ and A+
  11. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

Doh!

I get it now.

12. Mr Machfisto

And.............

13. Darkfunnyguy

Darkfunnyguy Byte Poster

ITS YOU!

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2003
    WIP: Server+, Vista,
  14. Mr Machfisto

Me?

What have I said?

15. Daniel

Daniel Byte Poster

YAY!

It's not me!

This topic was posted on the 27th

Only MISTAKE/BAD ADVICE I've given was on the 30th of November, for which I was VERY apologetic to the user and apologized in the topic.

I dont know who it is, maybe one day we will find out. :biggrin

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290, 70-291
    WIP: None, but learning SEO/SEM
  16. BosonMichael

There have been rather public discussions with him that have occurred in several threads.

If you read all the posts, the answer is pretty clear as to who Zeb is referring to when he talks about people who are "known and admitted braindumpers" who "post complete crap dressed up as 'advice'... despite having absolutely no clue what they're talking about".

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
  17. BosonMichael

To some people, it may seem childish when forum members take an "it's them or us - choose who you'd rather lose" mentality, but there are some valid, logical reasons why truly experienced techs would leave a forum frequented by inexperienced people who give bad advice and then attack the experienced techs when their bad advice is challenged. One, the experienced techs don't want to be associated with a forum that openly allows such crap to be posted without consequence. Two, the experienced techs are here for the benefit of the users, not for themselves... if it's a constant hassle and a fight and a battle to have to defend GOOD advice... well, there are plenty of other places where it's easier to do so.

So... I can understand why Zeb and two or three others are taking a hiatus. It's not a "head in the sand" attitude at all... in fact, it's quite the opposite: they are taking a stand against what they might perceive is a "head in the sand", "don't rock the boat and the problem will just go away" mentality by the forum admins. Perhaps Zeb is trying to show the forum admins that, if nothing is done, people WILL leave, including him. And... I would have to agree with him. Users like the ones Zeb describes in his initial forum post are a cancer to the forum. And if that cancerous behavior is tolerated... well, that's not a place I'd really want to frequent, to be honest.

Just my 2c.

18. JonGlory

JonGlory Byte Poster

Toys out the pram material

WIP: LIFE
  19. JonnyMX

JonnyMX Petabyte Poster

Oh, I get it now.

MCP 70-419...

:twisted::biggrin

Certifications: MCT, MCTS, i-Net+, CIW CI, Prince2, MSP, MCSD
  20. Leehaa

Leehaa Gigabyte Poster

I haven't been able to read much of late, so not that up-to-date...

...however, his cheeky PM asking me if I knew who it was gave the game away, as it lead me to look at his posts/threads....needless to say I didn't reply LOL! :p