Fair usage policies

Discussion in 'The Lounge - Off Topic' started by Raffaz, Jun 23, 2007.

1. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Sorry, how do you read this thing ?

[​IMG]

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Almost every provider enforces download restrictions. Some are more generous than others... but if one person monopolizes bandwidth from everyone else, you can bet they'll get a letter.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

After looking at some of the ISP contract fineprints they do state certain restrictions apply to uploads and downloads.

I guess I never really paid much attention to that as I never experienced and probs with uploads, downloads, etc.

Thanks for the heads up.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  4. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Also, they don't usually state specific amounts of bandwidth consumption. Rather, they tend to state everything in rather general terms so that if you're one of their worst 1% of offenders, you can be targeted.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  5. Raffaz

Raffaz Kebab Lover Gold Member

If you right click the icon in the notification area and goto options, there are loads of settings to play with. You can tell it to show you the total downloaded, give you a warning at a certain limit and tons more.:)

Certifications: A+, MCP, MCDST, AutoCAD
    WIP: Rennovating my house
  6. Headache

Headache Gigabyte Poster

Okay, I'll try that. Thanks Raffaz.

Certifications: CCNA
    WIP: CCNP
  7. stuPeas

stuPeas Megabyte Poster

I think its actually the other way around Boyce, mine is anyway.

Peak hours are between 6-11pm every day and it is during these hours that bandwidth usage is monitored. Usage outside of these hours is uncapped.

With Toucan, if i go higher than 1.5gig during these hours, in any one week, then I automatically get put onto a "heavy user" network that slows my connection speed to almost dial-up. I stay on this network for a week and if, during this week, my usage adheres to the policy, I get put back on the original network.

EDIT: Make sure you schedule Windows updates ouside these times!!

Certifications: C&G Electronic, CIW Associate (v5).
    WIP: CIW (Website Design Manager)
  8. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Raffaz, just out of interest what does the letter actually say? Are they going to charge you more money (one off payment) for breaking the ‘fair usage policy’ or are they trying to get you to upgrade to another subscription package?

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  9. Raffaz

Its nothing like that mate. Its just a "friendly" warning with some tips on how to cut my usage down. And saying that if i keep doing it then they may terminate my connection, but they dont want to do that lol:)

10. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

LOL, would be very surprised if they terminated your connection! :biggrin

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  11. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

Stu,

I think it boils down to the ISP - mine is 8-6

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  12. wizard

wizard Petabyte Poster

It was going to be longer and funnier than that, but my mind decided to do a reboot on me :D

Certifications: SIA DS Licence
    WIP: A+ 2009
  13. Raffaz

How would i set this up to monitor my network, as i have 4 computers running so it would be good to keep track of my overall usage?

Just to add to this, they dont want to lose my custom. I rang yesterday, coz i was thinking of changing to bebroadband. They thought i was ringing about the fair usage so i milked it a bit and got them down to "20 a month plus free evening and weekend calls and 27% off mobile calls aswell. Im on the platinum package aswell lol.:)