Failed

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by spy22, May 22, 2009.

1. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Failed with a disgracefull score of 519. Embarassed!! :oops:

Obviously I am doing something wrong in my revision techniques but I felt quietly confident. Wondering if I will ever get an IT job at this rate!!

Its so difficult not working in IT trying to apply these practical questions.

I had loads of TCP/IP questions that I am weak on anyway which didnt help but I didnt expest that many!
    Loads of Share Permission questions too which I feel ok with nut there were loads lol

Going to apply for the second shot and try again in a couple of weeks.

Regards from a frustrated spy :twisted:

Certifications: Its who you know not what you know!!!
    WIP: CCNA?
  2. Finkenstein

Finkenstein Kilobyte Poster

Don't let it discourage you. I'm sure that the majority of people who have taken a large number of certs can remember failing at least one. It is a good way to amp the study for the next exam. You know where you were light, so just focus on those areas and then get back in there with that second shot and blow the exam out of the water!

Good Luck!

Certifications: MCP, Network+, CCENT, ITIL v3
    WIP: 640-822
  3. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks mate :)

4. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

He's right. Don';t beat yourself up about it. Just go back over all your books and sit it again. I passed a Computer Science degree then failed one of my Microsoft exams a few weeks ago. Sometimes you don't fully grasp a subject so in a way its best that you fail because when you go back over it, you end up really knowing your stuff. Now get your books out and get determined to pass! Cheers, James.

PS You can download Microsoft Virtual PC which can help you set up some labs for you to practise on. Craigie on here has some great example labs that may be of use to you.

Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  5. StormTHX

StormTHX Byte Poster

Get up and dust yourself off. Not sure what you are using to study with, but I reccomend the Microsoft Press book and the Transcender for an approved exam simulation.

You can grade each test question and get the explanations as to why one (or more) answer is correct and also why the other ones are incorrect (most exam sims do this - not just Transcender). I find this way to be another way to study. They also will list links for the explanations if you need more information.

The Transcender exams were written by one or two of the Boson guys that contribute heavily to this forum (when not too busy on a project). I would recommend Boson, but they don't have any exam sims for the MCDST certs.

Good luck.

Certifications: MCDST, MCP (210), A+, ITIL Foundations
    WIP: Taking a break then onto MCSE
  6. DaveyB1981

DaveyB1981 Byte Poster

I am assuming that this is 70-271 that you failed? Well, the good news is that you are not alone. I too failed this exam - twice! I have worked in IT for 4 years and part of me expected to just walk in the first time and pick up the cert. Not so! I think i got about 535. In my case, there were areas that i had never covered before and also its getting used to the style of the exam.

The other good news is that at the third time of asking i got 800 and you know what? I feel so much better than if i had passed first time!

As stated, virtualise. Also, i find the Exam Cram series of books really useful.

Chin up and good luck.

Dave

Certifications: CISMP, ITIL Fdn, MCDST
    WIP: the day job...
  7. greenbrucelee
    Highly Decorated Member Award

greenbrucelee Zettabyte Poster

Unlucky mate

I failed my 70-272 so we all do fail at some point, just don't give up as giving up is the real failure.

As said above just dust yourself down, concentrate on your weakest parts and go for it again. Good luck next time :D

Certifications: A+, N+, MCDST, Security+, 70-270
    WIP: 70-620 or 70-680?
  8. Elhaj

Elhaj Nibble Poster

good luck next time, never give up!

Certifications: Bsc Economics, MCDST
    WIP: what's the point?
  9. Ence

Ence Kilobyte Poster

Embarassed why you give it a go there always plus now you know were your weak point are.
    You could have got a score of 100.

Why rush

10. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Keep your pecker up mate.

Ive just started reading the MS Press 70-271 Training Kit today in preperation for my MCDST.

Rik

11. spy22

spy22 Byte Poster

Thanks for the support, appreciate your comments!

Had to take a week or so off gather my thoughts as was so down about it but back on track as of tonight.

Got my first interview too for desktop support job even though they know I struggled on exam so with any luck will be working soon and these exams should get slightly easier!

Cheers guys

Regards