Failed to save to Local Policy Database

Discussion in 'General Microsoft Certifications' started by SolidSponge, Oct 2, 2006.

1. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Hi Guys

I'm trying to set up Local Policy on my main PC so that my 2nd PC can access it over the network. I've gone into the User Right Assignment and tried adding my machine to the 'Access this computer from the network' policy. When I try to apply this it comes back with message...

Failed to save to Local Policy Database

I don't understand why I am getting this? I can see Client 2 from Client 1 and I can connect to client 2 from Client 1. I can also see Client 1 from Client 2 but I am unable to connect to Client 2. I get message 'You might not have permisson to use the network resource'.

Help!

Certifications: A+, MCP (70-270)
    WIP: 70-290
  2. tuvanit

tuvanit Nibble Poster

What kind of account do you use? You should use "administrator" for ease. And if you are in XP, set your account have Administrator privilege.

Certifications: 70-270, 70-290
    WIP: MCSA 2003
  3. r.h.lee

r.h.lee Gigabyte Poster

Solidsponge,

1. What operating system is running on your "main PC?"
    2. What operating system is running on your "2nd PC?"

Certifications: MCSE, MCP+I, MCP, CCNA, A+
    WIP: CCDA
  4. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

I assume its workgroup you have set up? the users on the 2nd pc wont show up on the 1st pc because its a local poilcey so to speak, you need to be in a domain and have AD for that. You should have a guest account though.

when you go into the serch feild and choose your workgroup, the object type switches from users to computers.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  5. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Sorry for late reply guys.
    To answer your questions...

I've got XP Pro on both machines
    I'm using Administrator on both machines
    Yes I'm in a workgroup

I've kind of sorted it now anyway. When I add the everyone group it works, obviously, but when I try to add client 2 computer to the list I get same message. Is this because I can't add machines or users from other machines in a workgroup enviroment?
    Sorry if it's something simple, but I'm trying to take so much in with the 70/270 my head is fried!

6. rockstar6181

rockstar6181 Byte Poster

yes mate its due to the workgroup, it needs to be a domain with AD to be able to have list all users and add them to policys on different machines.

Certifications: A/N+ MCSA 2003
  7. SolidSponge

SolidSponge Bit Poster

Thought as much. Should have known this really :oops:
    Thanks anyway 8)