failed job interview because of this one question

Discussion in 'Employment & Jobs' started by steve_p1981, Jun 1, 2011.

1. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

Sorry to bump this, but well done steve mate that's a brilliant attempt. I haven't read the question 100% properly but i would have thought it was the DNS server and would have done all that ipconfig /flushDNS crap I learnt on the A+ LOL!!

Have you had any luck with other jobs since?

I might start applying for some entry level jobs with my A+ now, but what type of questions did they ask you in the test? I don't know why but these types of tests would scare me, cos i'm not very accurate, i mean I will get to the right place but might not do it straight away haha.

2. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Cheers! not even had a call back and i've been applying for every job i can find that i think i can do. I get alot of "sorry but you don't quite match our requirements" etc but nothing of any value. I want to do my n+ but i want to be in a proper IT role for some hands on or at least access to the software. i spent £250 getting my a+ thinking it would help but it's not made a notable difference to anything so now i'm a bit reluctant to try. The test itself was ok really, most of it was outlook based and that was fairly easy but it was that one question that done me in.

Certifications: A+ 220-701 and 220-702
    WIP: none at current but poss 70-680 soon
  3. onoski

onoski Terabyte Poster

You are going about looking for a job the right way and with some more persistence you'd land your first IT role. It's tough no doubt but you can find a role within IT.

It just takes a long time and also might want to look for short term contracts desktop roll outs, helpdesk analyst and first line support type of roles.

If you have the time and the spare cash get the MCP on XP pro, exam 70-270 if it's not retired yet as this would look good on your CV. Finally, get a good book on interviewing skills and techniques. All the best and don't give up:)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
    Certifications: MCSE: 2003, MCSA: 2003 Messaging, MCP, HNC BIT, ITIL Fdn V3, SDI Fdn, VCP 4 & VCP 5
    WIP: MCTS:70-236, PowerShell
  4. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

Cheers, My wife's cousin is quite high up in his company and does the IT infrastructure work for them. He told me to start with the 70-680 book but i got as far as the 4th chapter before i didn't know what was going on as it was talking about the PXE enviroment and installing from a network location etc. I was a little lost and went for the A+ to get a better idea but i don't think taht many companies have migrated to 7 yet and with 8 due next year, i'm not sure if it's worth doing any way. I have a mortgage at the moment and don't have the confidence to gofor contract stuff as i need to make X amount each month regardless to pay my bills. I'm tryin to find a job for a min of £19k so i can keep my house and support my child that's due in the next 6 months. To say i'm a touch stressed abotu it all is an understatement.

5. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

I would definately try to get your N+ if you have the time / money, i'm about half way through it and it really does help with understanding the core things about networking AND i'm sure it will help you with getting a job. I absolutely HATE client exams, like the 680 (windows 7 right?) but I think the MCP status will get you in the door with the HR department. There's a job at the airport for SITA / ESP it's a helpdesk position 15-18k but there's always overtime available, and I'm in at work tomorrow so will try to get the details for you for as soon as possible, just opened so will be open till end of month :)

Last edited: Jul 11, 2011
  6. steve_p1981

steve_p1981 Byte Poster

cheers mate i've pm'd you about it.

7. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

Just to be pedantic, it would be an MCTS he gains if he passes that exam, not an MCP. :)

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  8. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

LOL oops =[ So if you pass the 70-680 (Configuring Windows 7) which I've been working on alongside my network+, I will have a 'MCTS status'? So that would be MCTS in windows 7? :oops:

9. ChrisH1979

ChrisH1979 Byte Poster

Yes mcts win 7

Certifications: MCITP:SA, MCSA, MCTS:Win 7, Application Infrastructure
    WIP: MCITP:EA
  10. Lozler

Lozler Bit Poster

So what exams do you do to get MCP? What about their MCP forum, so you can't access that with a MCTS?