Failed 70-290 Today!

Discussion in 'Windows Server 2003 / 2008 / 2012 / 2016' started by BlueLuke, Mar 25, 2011.

1. BlueLuke

BlueLuke New Member

Hi everyone,

I took the 70 - 290 today and failed with a score of 516. The key areas I failed in were manage and maintain access to resources and manage and maintain physical and logical drives.

To revise I was using the Microsoft training Kit and also used Transcender for some practice tests to understand what kind of questions I could expect on the exam.

Are there any tips that people have to understand file and folder permissions? I work in a server environment however I dont use it to the capabilities that Microsoft test users on!

Guess just got to dust myself off and get back on the horse!

Any help is much appreciated.

2. Kopite_21

Kopite_21 Gigabyte Poster

Unlucky mate, keep trying.

Don't give up! :D

Certifications: National Diploma IT Advanced ECDL
    WIP: A+
  3. Graham Bray

Graham Bray New Member

Hi Blueluke,
    Load up your OS, and get straight into the sections to you failed, do every lab you can, but even better, try and re-create some real world scenerios.

Corrupt a few files and try to restore etc.
    above all NEVER give up, its just a small hickup.

Certifications: Mcp, MCP+I, MCSE+I,MCSA,MCSE,Security+
    WIP: Server 2008, Exchange 2010
  4. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Lab work helps for this mate. Set up a share on a server and then set permissions for a couple of users.

After that test and see if what you set up actually works, for example a user having read only to a folder and another being able to modify files.

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  5. JK2447
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

JK2447 Petabyte Poster Administrator Premium Member

Top Poster
    of the Month

I second the above. I wouldn't have passed my MCSE without my trusty ML115. Its important that you actually do the exercises in the MS press books to cement the concepts in your mind. If you can't afford your own server perhaps there is a lab at work you could use? It makes the difference believe me. Better luck next time

**Edit: Check out the 2003 virtual labs on offer from Microsoft, they are pretty good

Last edited: Mar 26, 2011
    Certifications: VCP4, 5, 6, 6.5, 6.7, 7, 8, VCAP DCV Design, VMConAWS Skill, Google Cloud Digital Leader, BSc (Hons), HND IT, HND Computing, ITIL-F, MBCS CITP, MCP (270,290,291,293,294,298,299,410,411,412) MCTS (401,620,624,652) MCSA:Security, MCSE: Security, Security+, CPTS, CCA (XenApp6.5), MCSA 2012, VSP, VTSP
    WIP: Google Cloud Certs
  6. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

I also had a hard time with permissions at the beginning but the only way I got better is to refer to more than just one book... I used technet and other reading material to help me out. As others mentioned, lab work is imperative and will help you a lot more than just theory.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA