failed 70 -271

Discussion in 'MCDST' started by franklinchzw, Sep 23, 2008.

1. franklinchzw

franklinchzw New Member

I wrote 70- 271 last week and managed to fail the exam, i was so discouraged that i thought of forgeting about it but i know i have to get it right . One of the reasons why i think i failed is that i never used an particular book to prepare for the exam. now i have managed to get a MS 70 -272 book do u think its a good idea that i practice and write the 70- 272 exam first before the 70-271 exam .does it have to be in any order ?

WIP: mcdst
  2. BosonMichael
    Honorary Member Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

BosonMichael Yottabyte Poster

Yes, you can take the exams in any order. That said... you're fresh off of taking 70-271... I'd recommend you stick with that while the information - and the test questions you saw - are still fresh in your head.

Certifications: CISSP, MCSE+I, MCSE: Security, MCSE: Messaging, MCDST, MCDBA, MCTS, OCP, CCNP, CCDP, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CNE, SCSA, Security+, Linux+, Server+, Network+, A+
    WIP: Just about everything!
  3. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

I would second what Boson says, keep with the 70-271 while its still in your mind..............and you will get there in the end

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing
  4. sexyflanders

sexyflanders New Member

Stick with it if your good with troubleshooting you'll have zero problems on the 272 test. I did the 272 first and now working on the 271 also check out transcender test's they are great practice.

Certifications: MCP (272)
    WIP: MCDST 271
  5. Modey

Modey Terabyte Poster

That is far too much of a genralisation in my opinion. You have to have a very good working knowledge of Microsoft Office, Outlook Express and IE6 at the minimum (to mention just a few). You have to know what makes them tick in order to troubleshoot problems ascociated with them.

I teach the MCDST at a local college and have found many people underestimate the 70-272 after doing the 70-271.

To the OP:

As others have already advised. Stick with the 271 until you actually pass it, especially since much of the information should still be fresh in your memory. The book by Sybex is pretty good as a starting point and covers both the 271 & 272. It may be worth getting hold of that if you can afford it.

Certifications: A+, N+, MCP, MCDST, MCSA 2K3, MCTS, MOS, MTA, MCT, MCITP:EDST7, MCSA W7, Citrix CCA, ITIL Foundation
    WIP: Nada
  6. Johnd76

Johnd76 Megabyte Poster

i think your right with people underestimating the 272, i think I took it as "easy" hense thats how i failed it first time round.

Certifications: MCP, MCDST
    WIP: Not a thing