Failed 291

Discussion in 'Network Infrastructure' started by wtjj, Aug 8, 2006.

1. wtjj

wtjj Bit Poster

Hi guys

Rather down at the moment failed this one miserably with a score I'd rather not repeat

Just could not understand what was wanted from the Questions. Trancenders really did'nt help me on this one I was averaging 98% on thier test engines.

Oh well day or 2 off then rethink my study plan.

Cheers

Tom

Certifications: Comptia A+ Inet+ MCP 270 290 291 BSc Hon
    WIP: MCSA 299
  2. zebulebu

zebulebu Terabyte Poster

Ooooh - Network Infrastructure exams are a bitch.

Its always been the case, going back to NT, that the Network exam is the hardest of the core four exams leading to the MCSE. I think this has to do with not just the subject being pretty difficult to start with, but the fact that the networking exam covers so much more ground than the others.

I remember the 2000 exam was an absolute nightmare - I had questions that I had NEVER come across in the real world and the revision didn't help much either - since none of the topics covered prepared me for some of the material.

Don't get too disheartened. Not sure what the Transcenders are like nowadays, but the one for Network Infrastructure in the 2K MCSE wasn't much use to me anyway, if I remember. It was really a case of me studying on my home LAN for the stuff I'd never seen 'live' - the Sybex book for 216 was a big help for me in this regard, as it had loads of practise exercises covering DNS, DHCP, WINS and RRAS - all of which were covered extensively in the exam.

Certifications: A few
    WIP: None - f*** 'em
  3. Boycie
    Honorary Member

Boycie Senior Beer Tester

oh, bad luck. At least you know what you are up against next time. Good luck for the revision.

Si

Certifications: MCSA 2003, MCDST, A+, N+, CTT+, MCT
  4. wtjj

wtjj Bit Poster

Thanks Guys

I will have a day off then back to it

Take care

5. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about the result.. better luck next time!:thumbleft

Any tips on what should be well revised? :D

Certifications: B.Sc, MCDST & MCSA
    WIP: M.Sc - Computer Forensics
  6. Sparky
    Highly Decorated Member Award 500 Likes Award

Sparky Zettabyte Poster Moderator

Unlucky mate, best to regroup and then start over. At least you will get a break down on your test score on what the problem areas are and you can base your study around that. 8)

Certifications: MSc MCSE MCSA:M MCSA:S MCITP:EA MCTS(x5) MS-900 AZ-900 Security+ Network+ A+
    WIP: Microsoft Certs
  7. and

and Bit Poster

:( sorry to hear that Tom. did you get any questions that needed subnet calculations in the end?

I took the exam two weeks after completing ms course 2277 and revised by watching the CBT Nuggets video series for 291, Transcender and MeasureUp.

Certifications: MCSE 2003
    WIP: MCSD
  8. PAT

PAT Banned

Sorry to hear this mate

I failed this exam, with a very low score so don’t worry.

What sims did you get?

did you pass mate? were the nuggets any help?

9. Rik

Rik Nibble Poster

Sorry to hear that mate.

I would be very interested to know where the hardest questions were in your opinion and what kind of format does an exam take?

Im contemplating studying for MCSE and would find any advice invaluable :)

10. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

Rik 291 will involve like 290 *mid-range* questions where you read a bit (10 lines at times) and then given multiple choice. You can also get 'drag and drops'. In 293 & 294 the questions are alot longer and i think the design exams do as well. Another type of question is a Sim which will ask you to do something like setup a user in Active Directory. You are presented with a Simulation of a server and you have to perform the asked task.

11. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

I've been hearing the word 'Sim' for nearly a year - and always wondered just what it was!

Thanks.

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  12. zimbo
    Honorary Member

zimbo Petabyte Poster

you kidding? :biggrin Harry!!! :tongue

13. tripwire45
    Honorary Member

tripwire45 Zettabyte Poster

Sorry to hear it, Tom. We've all been there. Take some time to lick your wounds and then see where you want to go from here. Cheers, mate.

Certifications: A+ and Network+
  14. hbroomhall

hbroomhall Petabyte Poster Gold Member

Nope! I've only done CompTIA exams (and ECDL) and they don't have Sims - so I diddn't really know what they were in detail.

:biggrin

Harry.

Certifications: ECDL A+ Network+ i-Net+
    WIP: Server+
  15. Theprof

Theprof Petabyte Poster

sorry to hear that bro, keep tryin though, I know its not an easy exam. Good Luck on the retake.

Certifications: A+ | CCA | CCAA | Network+ | MCDST | MCSA | MCP (270, 271, 272, 290, 291) | MCTS (70-662, 70-663) | MCITP:EMA | VCA-DCV/Cloud/WM | VTSP | VCP5-DT | VCP5-DCV
    WIP: VCAP5-DCA/DCD | EMCCA
  16. sebstah

sebstah Nibble Poster

bugger tom , failing a exam sux. i failed my A+ 1st time round.. just didnt study (spent too much time playing quake3 lol).. as always u learn from these things.. good luck next time round :)

Certifications: A+,70-270,70-290
    WIP: 70-620
  17. and

and Bit Poster

yep, 828. the nuggets helped me reinforce what i'd learnt on ms 2276/7 plus they are exam focused whereas the ms courses definitely aren't..

18. wtjj

wtjj Bit Poster

Thanks all

Lets See, Sims I got were:set up SUS server which was fine.

Create an MX record and edit 2 others with weighting to fall over to another mail server if one failed, I dint remember how to edit the MX record to achieve that.

There was a DNS sim I cant remember quite what it was had to create a stub Zone but there was again an edit of an existing Zone which I couldnt figure out what they wanted it was something I had not come across before.

Funnily I didnt get mant calculations I couldnt cope with and The calculator was there in Scientific view to use.

Hope this may help anyone, sorry I cant remember much else you know what its like when you leave the exam room.

Tom

19. and

and Bit Poster

strange about the calculator, on my exam the calc had no top menu (edit view help) so i couldnt get out of standard view :blink sorry if i worried you unnecessarily there :oops:

as it turned out i didn't get questions that needed any calculations, didn't use it at all

edit: no more details.

20. Bluerinse
    Honorary Member

Bluerinse Exabyte Poster

Sorry to hear about the fail I know what that feels like to, I failed 70-216 after studying it full on for six months :eek:

Go easy on the exam details guys please - remember the NDA :rolleyes:

Certifications: C&G Electronics - MCSA (W2K) MCSE (W2K)